• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
3/12 Significant Storm Likely (Rapidly Intensifying Coastal Storm with Heavy Rain/Wind Changing to possibly significant snow inland/some snow at the coast.

HVSnowLover

Just now, sussexcountyobs said:

Was hoping for the high forecast of 8" for here, to get me to 40". Not even close. At this point, 35" for the year. About 20" below average. 

wow you average a lot.  I remember when I said that I dont think NYC can be considered a snowy city, I used numbers for snowfall seasons that could be considered good and I came up with a 40" average as the minimum needed for a good snowfall season.....thats a nice whole number and it's also 1 meter, which is the measurement unit the rest of the world uses.  It brings in cities like Chicago, Detroit and Boston as snowy (near the minimum limit anyway) while a city like Pittsburgh or NYC cant be considered snowy.

2 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

This whole winter summed up.  

Yup just a last kick in the balls . I was all excited I went to snow an hr  earlier than modeled  .  Radar looked tremendous . 2 hrs later I see it turned to garbage and I have 2 inches lol and done 

This event occurred pretty much as expected. It’s tough to get more than a light accumulation near the coast in rain to snow events without a closed low. This storm was really flying along with the progressive +AO and not closing off at 500mb. The Euro gets some points for the earlier mix near NYC. But the RGEM and GGEM did better on snowfall amounts near the coast. The global model errors with the GFS and Euro were too much snow in the first few hours around changeover this morning. But the mesos did better with the quick drying out on the NW flow. The late day snow was a result of the upper low which most mesos did well with.

4 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

Yup just a last kick in the balls . I was all excited I went to snow an hr  earlier than modeled  .  Radar looked tremendous . 2 hrs later I see it turned to garbage and I have 2 inches lol and done 

Measured 2.25" here.  This wind, cold, and blowing snow sure makes it feel like January or February.  At least we cracked 20" this year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WestBabylonWeather said:

A dusting with blowing snow. Winter feel. If this happened all the time in winter I’d be happy. The whole dusting with wind thing happens in Iceland the entire winter that’s why I loved it there. 

One of the most beautiful places on the entire planet, with the highest literacy rate and pretty much the ideal society.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Back to a half mile or so vis with small flakes and it has that winding down feel. This backside band meant business! It was easily 2"/hr at the peak and put down a bit over 3" (so far). This one went from blah to Rahrah! at the end. Puts me solidly above 50% of average territory at 27".. 

I laughed out loud when I saw blah to rahrah-- you channeled your inner cheerleader lol

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This event occurred pretty much as expected. It’s tough to get more than a light accumulation near the coast in rain to snow events without a closed low. This storm was really flying along with the progressive +AO and not closing off at 500mb. The Euro gets some points for the earlier mix near NYC. But the RGEM and GGEM did better on snowfall amounts near the coast. The global model errors with the GFS and Euro were too much snow in the first few hours around changeover this morning. But the mesos did better with the quick drying out on the NW flow. The late day snow was a result of the upper low which most mesos did well with.

One day you'll have to explain to me how dimunitive 2000 ft mountains can dry things out so quickly,  I've been up in the Himalayas over 20,000 feet and those are real mountains, what we have to our west are mere hills.

14 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

One day you'll have to explain to me how dimunitive 2000 ft mountains can dry things out so quickly,  I've been up in the Himalayas over 20,000 feet and those are real mountains, what we have to our west are mere hills.

Start with a 7° per 1k feet temp difference then figure in all of the things that come with that and it starts to come into focus. Pay more attention to microclimates right here in the lohud and see the changes in 300 foot (or less) differences.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I was thinking of the ice that you can't see, but perhaps the winds will dry things out enough after the snow stops.  24° here with .5mi snow falling.

I drove from Smithtown (Landing Ave area) to Stony Brook around 6pm and roads were covered with snow and it was a slow drive, so it definitely iced up. On way back just now from Stony Brook to Smithtown and roads were treated. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJO812 said:

What a dissapointing event

I lost sleep for this :(

Not going to lie, I was dying laughing all day today. I was tempted to troll the “Euro!!” posts on here from yesterday but I decided to be nice lol The wishcasting of this nothing burger, non event in this thread was comical lol

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Start with a 7° per 1k feet temp difference then figure in all of the things that come with that and it starts to come into focus. Pay more attention to microclimates right here in the lohud and see the changes in 300 foot (or less) differences.

wow I thought it was 4.5 F per 1k feet, but I guess either is pretty significant.

14 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Not going to lie, I was dying laughing all day today. I was tempted to troll the “Euro!!” posts on here from yesterday but I decided to be nice lol The wishcasting of this nothing burger, non event was comical lol

Pretty much everyone was wrong including you.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Not going to lie, I was dying laughing all day today. I was tempted to troll the “Euro!!” posts on here from yesterday but I decided to be nice lol The wishcasting of this nothing burger, non event in this thread was comical lol

Your predictions were no better. You called for this storm to trend west and the southeast ridge to pump up warm air. So in the end you were wrong, I wouldn’t be bragging, I would go back into hiding until next season. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

you have a ****ing pathology dude

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

wow I thought it was 4.5 F per 1k feet, but I guess either is pretty significant.

That’s a static number. The number tends to be larger this time of year as the land starts to heat from increased sun angle. It’s part of why we say late season events are elevation dependent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1