• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
3/12 Significant Storm Likely (Rapidly Intensifying Coastal Storm with Heavy Rain/Wind Changing to possibly significant snow inland/some snow at the coast.

HVSnowLover

It's interesting on radar you can see several little lines or streamers on the back edge of the band that move rapidly from northwest to southeast. One went right over me and it was just like a blizzard. Great finale for this event. We added a quick half inch here on top of the inch that we got earlier today.

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

how much did we get on 12-11-93? I'm guessing not much since I only remember the late December snow event that year.  We only had two all snow events in 93-94, the first event in late December and the final event in late March.  Both were around 4" each

My data base for NYC (CP) shows 0.63" precip 10th-11th Dec 1993, with 2.9" snow 11th. Lowest temp 22F. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Snow growth getting much better. Borderline heavy snow here now, 27

With the roads wet, the temp dropping rapidly and decent snowfall rate occurring, the flash freeze idea is still on the table, especially out here where there hasn't been any incentive to treat the roads until now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

My data base for NYC (CP) shows 0.63" precip 10th-11th Dec 1993, with 2.9" snow 11th. Lowest temp 22F. 

when you said 22 F that suddenly rang a bell for me....I have a shocking memory for numbers.  I now fully remember that day....the high was in the 50s and the 22 really stands out as the low because that was the coldest I had ever seen it so early at that point.

Regular reminder that it's pretty impressive that this whole thing was identified on this forum, what, 8 days ago?  Heavy rain turning into a icy, wind-whipped finale, and since at least 5 days ago even the timing pretty well nailed?  You mets and advanced hobbyists here hold yourselves to a high standard I know, but from a layman's standpoint this was really well done.   I always tell people that in winter if you never want to be caught off guard by a potential snowstorm, just check in on this site every now and then.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

With the roads wet, the temp dropping rapidly and decent snowfall rate occurring, the flash freeze idea is still on the table, especially out here where there hasn't been any incentive to treat the roads until now.

Eh, roads should be fine. Temp down to 25 now and is just a light dusting on the roads