• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/12 Significant Storm Likely (Rapidly Intensifying Coastal Storm with Heavy Rain/Wind Changing to possibly significant snow inland/some snow at the coast.

HVSnowLover

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think we all get a coating with this band. It’s got some dynamics. Timing is better with lower sun angle and temps are much colder 

That's exactly what I'm thinking..im at 28f rn..confectioners sugar is gonna fall on everyone and stick. Lol

• Weenie 1

As I said yesterday this bore some resemblance to 12-11-93...difference is no negative tilt this time so the snow band is going to rotate through quickly.  Interesting how in both cases almost 30 years apart the models did not see the snow correctly associated with the vort/trof and incorrectly placed too much precip earlier.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

So you're pretty much normal to date in your snow hell hole. As is LGA. Pretty much a normal winter. Could be a lot wor

They are going to have a tough time getting near 30".  17" is less than 60% of normal seasonal snowfall.

If we get no additional snowfall here, we'll wind up at about 92% of average snowfall (27 year POR).  So it's fair to say this part of LI has had normal snowfall, but NYC has not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

As I said yesterday this bore some resemblance to 12-11-93...difference is no negative tilt this time so the snow band is going to rotate through quickly.  Interesting how in both cases almost 30 years apart the models did not see the snow correctly associated with the vort/trof and incorrectly placed too much precip earlier.

You know as you look at it in action now, its trying to go neutral. Oh so close.. lol:weenie:

20 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

how much did we get on 12-11-93? I'm guessing not much since I only remember the late December snow event that year.  We only had two all snow events in 93-94, the first event in late December and the final event in late March.  Both were around 4" each

19 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

They are going to have a tough time getting near 30".  17" is less than 60% of normal seasonal snowfall.

If we get no additional snowfall here, we'll wind up at about 92% of average snowfall (27 year POR).  So it's fair to say this part of LI has had normal snowfall, but NYC has not.

this is why Brooklyn and Queens should be lumped together with Long Island (they are part of Long Island after all) and NYC should only refer to Manhattan.

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

this is why Brooklyn and Queens should be lumped together with Long Island (they are part of Long Island after all) and NYC should only refer to Manhattan.

You can’t lump Brooklyn and queens with Long Island.

They are two urban areas with lots of concrete that genuinely has an effect on weather.

Useless factoid: by Supreme Court decision, Long Island isnt an island but a peninsula extending from the mainland separated by a tidal straight 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Good afternoon Liberty. It’s amazing to think of how much impact legacy a terminus glacier has had and left. As always ….

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

You can’t lump Brooklyn and queens with Long Island.

They are two urban areas with lots of concrete that genuinely has an effect on weather.

Useless factoid: by Supreme Court decision, Long Island isnt an island but a peninsula extending from the mainland separated by a tidal straight 

really? and here I figured that geographically they are all part of the same geographical structure.

where I live in Nassau County it's pretty urban trust me, we get hotter than NYC does on a west or northwest wind