• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 11th-13th Winter Weather Event. Winter's last gasp?

Windspeed

This is easily our best storm of the season in west Kingsport.  Probably between 4.5-5" of snow here at the house and a solid 5" of snow on the groomed surfaces of the golf course.  Sledding is good today.  I have almost enjoyed these snow bands as much as the storm itself.  Going to be COLD tonight!!!
Really glad you finally scored a good snow. Also congrats to all who did well. I am happy with my paltry 2 inches south of Bristol. I am glad I checked hype and curbed expectations versus very consistent modeling of a snow hole over portions of Sullivan and Washington Counties. Modeling did exceptionally well. Pretty sweet that the NWS busted low for Knoxville as you folks were due a good thumping. Lastly, the event isn't over. In my mind I had interaction with bitter cold tonight as part of it. Really it's unusual enough to get such cold so near to Spring, and worth the continued discussion.
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Had to drive one of the dogs in to the emergency vet and man, I couldn't believe how little snow there was in Coalfield. I know the sun did a number today, but I think they must have gotten passed over pretty badly. 

Crazy since they are surrounded on all sides by 5-7 inches. The sun didn't really do much here today.  Still have a solid 8 inches on the ground even with compaction and the afternoon sun.  

• Like 2

Not really sure how much we got.The winds seemed to blow the snow around off roofs,trees,etc.,etc.

...TENNESSEE...
LA FOLLETTE                          10.6                    
ARTHUR                               10.0                    
CARYVILLE                             8.0                    
HOWARD QUARTER 3 WNW                  7.5                    
KINGSTON                              6.0                    
KNOXVILLE 4 ENE                       6.0                    
GERMANTOWN 3 NNW                      5.5                    
ARLINGTON                             5.0                    
FRANKLIN 4 W                          5.0                    
MADISONVILLE                          5.0                    
NASHVILLE                             5.0                    
MIDTOWN MEMPHIS                       4.8                    
LUTTRELL                              4.5                    
MEMPHIS                               4.0                    
PULASKI                               4.0                    
SODDY-DAISY 7 NW                      4.0                    
FAUST 5 NNE                           3.8                    
WATERVILLE 1 NNE                      3.0                    

The rapidly intensifying low is forecast to quickly lift into the
Canadian Maritimes tonight. An additional 2 to local 4 inches of
snowfall is anticipated from New England through the interior
Northeast, before the snow activity wanes tomorrow morning. In the
wake of the strong front, record breaking low temperatures are
expected over the Southeast tonight, before the airmass moderates
to begin the work week.

The next Storm Summary will be issued by the Weather Prediction
Center at 1000 AM EST. Please refer to your local National Weather
Service office for additional information on this event.

Asherman

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/nfdscc2.html?fbclid=IwAR1Od607PslFpgWF6QqhyYa7LWJ-GqDZmQupGFPTJrK9BXS6L3UC5cRaXWU

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Did anyone in E TN hit the single digits? Seems like all the stations are running about 5-10 degrees above guidance? Looks like the wind never really fully died down until the last minute before sunrise. That may have prevented the drop that was anticipated. I bottomed out at 14 but now back up to 15. Forecast low was 10. I saw TYS was at 18 there forecast low was also 10. 

Overall a good storm. I finally hit double digit snowfall on the year with 10.5 now for the season after yesterday. Interestingly this 14 degree reading and 1 other is the coldest temp that I’ve had for the year. Should have at least made it to the single digits 1 time, but I guess this year it was just not meant to be.

• Like 4

My station reads a low of 12 this morning. 

My totals for the year are at 12 inches. Well above average due to this storm. Not sure how to rate the winter overall. January was great with a bunch of smaller events and cold. This storm was of course amazing, making it an excellent March.  But December and February were terrible for snow lovers in the valley. However, the results don't lie so I have to give this Winter an A. 

It is something to think about when looking at the historical record. An awesome winter on paper still can have stretches of warm and snowlessness. 

Anyway, bring on the spring. I am ready for it now. I will see you guys next season. It has been fun! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silas Lang said:

My station reads a low of 12 this morning. 

My totals for the year are at 12 inches. Well above average due to this storm. Not sure how to rate the winter overall. January was great with a bunch of smaller events and cold. This storm was of course amazing, making it an excellent March.  But December and February were terrible for snow lovers in the valley. However, the results don't lie so I have to give this Winter an A. 

It is something to think about when looking at the historical record. An awesome winter on paper still can have stretches of warm and snowlessness. 

Anyway, bring on the spring. I am ready for it now. I will see you guys next season. It has been fun! 

My station bottomed out at 5 last night NW of Crossville, but is already up to 35 today. It may be somewhat accurate because I did see a station 15 miles east reporting 5 degrees, and another 7. It seemed to melt more yesterday than today so far, but we've also had cloud cover today.

Winter wasn't great in Knoxville this year but I have to think going out with such a bang like that makes it jump way up. If this storm happened in November or December and the rest of the winter was lackluster, it'd feel a lot more disappointing I would imagine :D 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

My station bottomed out at 5 last night NW of Crossville, but is already up to 35 today. It may be somewhat accurate because I did see a station 15 miles east reporting 5 degrees, and another 7. It seemed to melt more yesterday than today so far, but we've also had cloud cover today.

Winter wasn't great in Knoxville this year but I have to think going out with such a bang like that makes it jump way up. If this storm happened in November or December and the rest of the winter was lackluster, it'd feel a lot more disappointing I would imagine :D 

There's no freakin way it went from 5 to 35 in just 4 hours especially since you say you have cloud cover ? 

10 minutes ago, Snownado said:

There's no freakin way it went from 5 to 35 in just 4 hours especially since you say you have cloud cover ? 

The low temp was about 2am, so actually it happened closer to 10 hours ago. When I got up around 6am it was already up to 15, probably from when the clouds started rolling in. Now it's completely sunny again. Seems pretty possible to me. Mayland near me is reporting 35 right now as well and was 10 last night. I figured my station was off on temps but it looked similar to other nearby stations overnight. I was just going off what my station said. Snow cover + clear skies can cause the temperatures to plummet pretty quickly and then rise again as cloud cover moves in and wind shifts from the south.

275296254_501925794811639_51035175275314

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

The low temp was about 2am, so actually it happened closer to 10 hours ago. When I got up around 6am it was already up to 15, probably from when the clouds started rolling in. Now it's completely sunny again. Seems pretty possible to me. Mayland near me is reporting 35 right now as well and was 10 last night. I figured my station was off on temps but it looked similar to other nearby stations overnight. I was just going off what my station said. Snow cover + clear skies can cause the temperatures to plummet pretty quickly and then rise again as cloud cover moves in and wind shifts from the south.

275296254_501925794811639_51035175275314

Is your snow melting pretty fast?

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Snownado said:

A high pressure system slid by and we now have SW winds. Those warm things really fast, regardless of snow cover or cloud cover. I've warmed 25 degrees in two hours while sleet and then freezing rain was falling when strong SW winds arrive. 

• Like 1

Snowfall Map from yesterday and then today regarding this system. They cover the same timeframe. I don't know how the map changes this much for the same time period 24 hours later. The sad thing is that both are wrong, but the updated one is even more wrong. Things like this is why the significant winter storm snowfall maps end up looking way off years later and why the snowfall record doesn't line up with our memories and observations. 

The updated map has Scott County with nothing to a dusting. They had 6-8 inches. It has snow totals in my area at 50% of what actually fell. Among my friends at various parts of the county there was 10 near the Claiborne line, 8 in Jellico, 8 in Jacksboro, 10 in LaFollette, 8 in Caryville. 

You guys can decide if either lined up for your area. The first map was close here. 

Map from yesterday. 

EP7v7S.png

Map from today. 

EP7wBf.png

57 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Snowfall Map from yesterday and then today regarding this system. They cover the same timeframe. I don't know how the map changes this much for the same time period 24 hours later. The sad thing is that both are wrong, but the updated one is even more wrong. Things like this is why the significant winter storm snowfall maps end up looking way off years later and why the snowfall record doesn't line up with our memories and observations. 

The updated map has Scott County with nothing to a dusting. They had 6-8 inches. It has snow totals in my area at 50% of what actually fell. Among my friends at various parts of the county there was 10 near the Claiborne line, 8 in Jellico, 8 in Jacksboro, 10 in LaFollette, 8 in Caryville. 

You guys can decide if either lined up for your area. The first map was close here. 

Map from yesterday. 

EP7v7S.png

Map from today. 

EP7wBf.png

That's weird. Both seem way off. The second one doesn't even seem for this event. The first has the line of heavier snow fairly accurate though. But some other areas seem way underdone, like Knoxville, and especially Arkansas.  The second map seems more accurate for Arkansas and Western Tennessee though.

2 minutes ago, Shocker0 said:

That's weird. Both seem way off. The second one doesn't even seem for this event. The first has the line of heavier snow fairly accurate though. But some other areas seem way underdone, like Knoxville, and especially Arkansas.  The second map seems more accurate for Arkansas and Western Tennessee though.

It's a mystery how Scott Co went from 6-7 inches to 0 to trace in 12 hours. The maps are pulled from the National Snowfall Analysis page. 

2 hours ago, John1122 said:

Map from yesterday. 

EP7v7S.png

Map from today. 

EP7wBf.png

With the exception of Clintwood I would argue all of swva is off broadly speaking. Especially for the 2nd depiction. The storm reports are a testament to that much. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/reports/?&all&date=20220312

• Like 2

Chiming in late, but my official west Knox county measurement was 7 inches.  That beats 2014 and 2015 for this location which were both around 6 inches.  It's possible January 2000 was higher, although I was traveling at the time and wasn't in West Knox to measure.  Regardless, this was an historic snowstorm for this area and it was a ton of fun watching the stars line up to really allow us to cash in in the central valley.  Helluva storm!  :guitar:

• Like 9

8 hours ago, John1122 said:

It's a mystery how Scott Co went from 6-7 inches to 0 to trace in 12 hours. The maps are pulled from the National Snowfall Analysis page. 

Yeah, that's what I was saying. The second one is just way off to the point it looks like it was referencing a completely different storm. In Cumberland County it shows the western half with more snow than the right, which is usually true, but not in this storm I think. So it's immediately wrong in that regard, minus the complete blank for Scott County. 

I wonder if the second map is based on reports and the areas that didn't report anything were literally left blank? Would be stupid but I can't think of anything since if anything the 72 hour map should look almost exactly the same as the 24, if not showing even more snowfall.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stovepipe said:

Chiming in late, but my official west Knox county measurement was 7 inches.  That beats 2014 and 2015 for this location which were both around 6 inches.  It's possible January 2000 was higher, although I was traveling at the time and wasn't in West Knox to measure.  Regardless, this was an historic snowstorm for this area and it was a ton of fun watching the stars line up to really allow us to cash in in the central valley.  Helluva storm!  :guitar:

WBIR said it was the most single day accumulation in Knoxville proper since the 93 blizzard, almost 29 years to the day! Very impressive. I did think the February 2014 event might have been 7-8" in Knoxville but maybe not.

• Like 1