• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 11th-13th Winter Weather Event. Winter's last gasp?

Windspeed

I am under a winter storm warning and my detailed forcast calls for less than one inch possible throughout the event in West Knoxville.  I love how one part of the National Weather Service  doesnt know what the other part is doing.  I must say if that is all I get It would be on par with what has happened all year here.

That’s crazy. I’m in Halls and NWS has 2” tonight and 2” tomorrow for me.

9 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

That’s crazy. I’m in Halls and NWS has 2” tonight and 2” tomorrow for me.

1" for tonight and 1" for tomorrow for mine. I don't really don't know what factors into that forecast. Maybe they are relying on warm ground temperature? Your forecast is about right. NMB has a solid 4 for Knox. 

3 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Welp, trip to Boone has been cancelled. The person I was going to see has gotten pretty sick over the past day. Hopefully no COVID, but I'm still riding this one out in MoCo now. 

I apologize in advance for lowered totals with the 12z runs. 

You can be the scapegoat if this doesn't work out. Lol

But seriously, glad to have your obs in Morgan for this one. 

• Like 2

@Silas Lang where are you located? Halls is strange when it comes to winter weather. It’s much closer to the weather of Anderson and Union Co than Knoxville. In a normal weather day, no strong CAA or WAA, I’m always 8 degrees colder than Knoxville. When you go from Ft City over Black Oak Ridge into Halls, it’s like you have left Knox Co. A lot of times the Horseshoe will be under an advisory but not the valley and my forecast will be the same as Maynardville or Andersonville.

4 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

MRX lowered Knoxville's totals again.  Now expecting a half inch tonight and an additional 1-2 tomorrow morning.  That doesn't meet their stated warning criteria.  Again, I'd like to know what they are seeing that we are not seeing.

i don’t think they are seeing anything different.  They are WORRIED ABOUT THE PUDDLES.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

@Silas Lang where are you located? Halls is strange when it comes to winter weather. It’s much closer to the weather of Anderson and Union Co than Knoxville. In a normal weather day, no strong CAA or WAA, I’m always 8 degrees colder than Knoxville. When you go from Ft City over Black Oak Ridge into Halls, it’s like you have left Knox Co. A lot of times the Horseshoe will be under an advisory but not the valley and my forecast will be the same as Maynardville or Andersonville.

I am in Inskip right next to Fountain City. It is interesting how these ridges factor into our weather. While not 8 degrees colder, it is typically colder here as well and I have noticed sometimes "north of 40" really sort of equates to north of Sharp's ridge here locally as it does sometimes seem to impact precipitation and temps.  

Halls definitely fits in with that climo. You are right on the door step of Big Ridge. Love going up there! Probably one of my favorite parks as it is not usually crowded. 

• Like 1

MRX lowered Knoxville's totals again.  Now expecting a half inch tonight and an additional 1-2 tomorrow morning.  That doesn't meet their stated warning criteria.  Again, I'd like to know what they are seeing that we are not seeing.

Click on your “zone forecast” and see what it says. The zip code forecast is computer generated but your zone forecast is made by a person. Mine still says 1-2” tonight, 1-2” tomorrow. My zone forecast says 2” tonight and 1” tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyEC said:

I live in the 41501 zip, looks like we are going to get the brunt of this one. 

I'm staying at the Hilton there tonight through Monday. I guess I better settle in this evening, don't think I'll be getting out much tomorrow.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jrips27 said:

Any suggestions on a good place to head up to tomorrow night? Might take a trip up from Atlanta. Looking for maximum snowfall obviously :weenie: A decent sized town not too far off the interstate would be nice.

I trust y’all’s knowledge of the terrain and sweet spot. Thanks y’all! 

Gatlinburg

8 minutes ago, BuCoVaWx said:

I'm staying at the Hilton there tonight through Monday. I guess I better settle in this evening, don't think I'll be getting out much tomorrow.

Work your way up to the Overlook if you can. Always a few good dining options downtown including Broken Throne Brewing which has the best burgers around. Even if you don’t enjoy beverages. It’s a hundred yards or so from the Hilton. 

The way the new mods are looking, the southern plateau area might be a good location. Maybe around Fall Creak Falls. But if I wanted to go somewhere that guarantees a big snow, Crossville, Jamestown to Oneida is probably going to be the target zone.

4 hours ago, Runman292 said:

Just found this on MRX's website. Th3 critera is actually different based on location. The central and southern valley are in the 3" or greater zone, while the "horseshoe" counties are in the 4" or greater zone. That is the reason why NE TN is under an advisory and not a warning.

Snow_WWA.png

They finally implemented what I've been asking for! It never made sense to have the same warning criteria down here as Johnson City.

• Like 2

They finally implemented what I've been asking for! It never made sense to have the same warning criteria down here as Johnson City.

Hopefully one day we will have the technology to not use counties as boarders. The northern 1/2 of Anderson, Union and Granger should realistically be in the higher criteria IMO.

13 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

NAM seems to be showing less precip and looking weaker. 

nam-218-all-chattanooga-total_snow_kuchera-7118800.png

2-3 inches over 8 hours is not enough to lay down and overcome ground temps with low rates for ktri.  I would love to make a trip to gatlinburg however

39 minutes ago, AnthonyEC said:

Work your way up to the Overlook if you can. Always a few good dining options downtown including Broken Throne Brewing which has the best burgers around. Even if you don’t enjoy beverages. It’s a hundred yards or so from the Hilton. 

Awesome!! Thanks! I haven't heard of that place, I'll definitely give it a go. Love me some good burgers.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic