• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 11th-13th Winter Weather Event. Winter's last gasp?

Windspeed

MRX have adjusted their expectations for Knoxville down, pray they don't adjust them further.  This afternoon they were calling for 1-2 inches Friday night and an additional 1-2 inches Saturday.  As of 11pm we see this:

QHvuHCe.png

Not even mentioning snow overnight Friday.  So we went from 2-4 to 1-3.  I'll never bet against them, but what are they seeing that we aren't?

47 minutes ago, jrips27 said:

Any suggestions on a good place to head up to tomorrow night? Might take a trip up from Atlanta. Looking for maximum snowfall obviously :weenie: A decent sized town not too far off the interstate would be nice.

I trust y’all’s knowledge of the terrain and sweet spot. Thanks y’all! 

Crossville is right off I-40, and on Exit 311 there is a little campground area literally right on the interstate with cabins that's very pretty in the snow. It always snows more there than in town as well it seems. But from Atlanta it will probably send you through backroads to get there unless you take 75 to 40 which is a little longer. But for a straight shot north of Atlanta on I75, John's area looks great as well. Both places will be about 3.5 hours from ATL

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AnthonyEC said:

Maybe a little further than you would want to go, Breaks Interstate Park has a lodge, full restaurant, etc. 

https://www.breakspark.com

I live about 15 minutes away from the Breaks Park. I rented a cottage in March of either 2017 or 2018, can't remember the year. I got there pretty late the first night, around 6:30. It was spitting flurries on my way up the mountain. When I pulled up to the cottage, it started coming down hard. The next morning I woke up to one of the most beautiful days I've ever seen. My wife and I were pretty much alone in this cozy cottage in the middle of a thick forest, and the scenery was absolutely breathtaking. There were deer and other little critters running around in the snow, id say at least 3 to 4 inches fell over night. It was something straight out of a wildlife magazine lol. I highly recommend anyone to visit if given the chance. They also have a yurt you can rent. That would be interesting in a winter storm if available lol!!

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, jrips27 said:

0z National Blend of Models (NBM) is up a good bit versus the 18z run. Might see some totals raised overnight. 4D586315-897A-4A1A-9110-DDB9551D23ED.thumb.png.41cf4b5ceb0164d2aa15098471fc2980.png

Looks like I'm around 6-8 inches there. Will see if MRX raises me up from the 2-4 forecast now. Also, based on this, that is Winter Storm Warning criteria from at least Nashville to the mountains and probably Northern Alabama and Northern Georgia, where the criteria is less than here. 

3 minutes ago, John1122 said:

NAMs slightly down again. They are basically in line with the Euro. Beast of a storm on there, down to 991 over Western NC, just less QPF than prior runs. Seems to be moving out a little faster on there. Rather than snowing up to 15-18z, it's cutting off around 12-14z.

Going back and forth between coming up to your area or trying to get somewhere with some elevation near Gatlinburg. Probably will be a game time decision tomorrow evening. 

Just now, jrips27 said:

Going back and forth between coming up to your area or trying to get somewhere with some elevation near Gatlinburg. Probably will be a game time decision tomorrow evening. 

There's a lot more civilization that way. If you can get above 3000-3500 feet over that way, you'll probably see huge totals. 12+.

10 minutes ago, John1122 said:

There's a lot more civilization that way. If you can get above 3000-3500 feet over that way, you'll probably see huge totals. 12+.

For sure - just not sure I can risk getting stuck on a mountain somewhere. Need to be back in Atlanta by Sunday afternoon. 

I found a place at 3000 feet southwest of Gatlinburg on January 3rd and we got 8 inches. Was a lot of fun. They will probably see that if not more like you said. 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic