• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11th-13th Winter Weather Event. Winter's last gasp?

Windspeed

1 minute ago, John1122 said:

06z GFS maintains major winter storm status. 4-12 inches across most of the forum with the large area of 6+ falling in the Eastern half.

3km NAM is quite a hitter as well. How was the Euro?

The maps look good. I just hope we can can something down here. Local Mets in Chattanooga this morning saying there will be a brief changeover with maybe a 3 hour window for snow showers. They were showing a map with less than 1" "possible"
but if that happens it would only be in some grassy areas. I would love to see a completely white ground. I'm really hoping for the models to just be even 50% accurate. That would be a huge win for our area.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Wow, great trends last night! The heaviest snow axis is starting to look more consolidated. Noticed that Eastman snow hole has filled in as well. Is there a reason for the better totals out east? 

Not enough coffee to dig into exciting things like frontogenesis right not, but I think we had a pretty nice slp pass on some of those runs. 

Been prepping for my Boone trip which all but guarantees someone gets hammered. I'll be following along though and may force the people I'm staying with to drive me the 20 minutes up to Beech Mt. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

I will say, it does look like there is still a possibility of mixing, so I am still somewhat sceptical of the higher amounts.  Here is 3k (which I think has done well with warm layers this winter). 

nam-nest-southapps-sleet_total-7108000.png

nam-nest-southapps-frzr_total-7108000.png

nam-nest-southapps-total_snow_kuchera-7108000.png

Those(sleet and zr) are great signs.  Many good storms have mixing issues.  I am sure someone understands the physics, but have seen that many times here.

• Like 2

MRX...

National Weather Service Morristown TN
628 AM EST Thu Mar 10 2022
...Discussion:

During the day Friday, a potent shortwave trough will quickly dig
across the plains while baroclinicity takes place across the
Tennessee Valley. Southerly low level flow will ramp up on Friday
advecting moisture and warmer air poleward. High temperatures on
Friday will easily rise into the mid 60`s and possibly upper 60`s
assuming skies can clear out as expected. Heading into Friday
evening, the trough continues to dig into the Mississippi River
Valley inducing low level cyclogenesis across the western Gulf of
Mexico. A resulting surface low is progged to deepen and lift
northeast. Increasing jet dynamics develop after 00Z and quickly
lead to a saturated profile with precipitation developing Friday
evening and into Friday night. The atmosphere will be warm enough
for much of this precipitation to be rain.

As the cold front sweeps through the area early Saturday morning,
much colder air will quickly filter in as 850mb temperatures crash.
With plenty of upper level support in place, we will likely still
see plenty of precipitation across the area that will be heavy at
times. Recent data suggests that some drier air within the -12 to
-18C layer could limit dendritic growth initially but eventually
enough moisture moves back in for efficient dendritic growth leading
to heavy snowfall rates. There are a number of factors that make
this snow forecast a bit uncertain and difficult. As mentioned in
previous discussions, recent warmth and warmer soils will tend to
mitigate initial snow accumulations, and it will take very high
snowfall rates to overcome these factors. With that said, there
could be a window of 3 hours or so with heavy snowfall rates that
would allow for some snow to accumulate on mainly grassy surfaces.
At this point, believe impacts to roads will be limited but cannot
rule out some patchy snow on roads especially across the northern
Cumberland Plateau, southwest Virginia, and across the mountains of
East Tennessee. The actual snow forecast remains largely unchanged
from the previous forecast with amounts up to 2 inches across the
northern Plateau, southwest Virginia, and East Tennessee mountains.
There are some signals for higher amounts up to 4 inches in the
highest mountains of southwest Virginia, and the Smokies. Elsewhere,
expect mainly 1 to 2 inches of snow north of I-40 and a dusting
elsewhere. Obviously lower confidence remains across the valley
where more negative factors are at play that would limit snow
accumulations.

Moisture pushes east through the day Saturday with lowering PoPs
expected from west to east. The forecast does hold onto PoPs a bit
longer than NBM guidance as sufficient low level moisture and even
an increase in low level lapse rates could support snow shower
activity through the day Saturday. Temperatures will be much colder
Saturday with highest barely expected to get above freezing. A
northwest winds will bring those wind chills into the lower 20`s
during the day. Finally, high pressure situated across the Southern
Appalachians will bring clearing skies, and calm winds which will
allow temperatures to bottom out. Lows in the teens seem likely
across much of the area with single digits not out of the question
in the higher terrain.

• Thanks 1

For NE TN peeps, we have the 3k/12k NAM and the 0z Euro in our camp.  GFS was trending that way. Morristown westward looked good overnight.  Need one more jog like the 3K NAM for our area.  I don't like sharing a foxhole with the Euro or NAM as they have been jumpy this winter.  Though, one would think at this range that they are starting to narrow the cone.  For now, heaviest snows looks to fall somewhere between the west side of the Plateau and Bean Station(little shout out to a well named city) or maybe even Bluff City.

• Like 3

Will be interesting to see how the model runs trend today, seems like a pretty good look at this point.  A lot can change in 48 hours though.  Looks like winter weather advisories are up now in northern Arkansas.  I’m curious to see what NWS does for advisories in west, middle, and east TN over the next day or so.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Those(sleet and zr) are great signs.  Many good storms have mixing issues.  I am sure someone understands the physics, but have seen that many times here.

Yeah, absolutely. That also suggests there are going to be some major impacts. Sleet is pretty great at creating some icy conditions even with marginal temps. 

I also saw MRX mention the possibility of snow shower activity after the main slug of moisture exits. Another good sign. Snow showers after a big storm seems to be common for the big dogs. I have received a rouge inch or half inch from those in the past after the main event. Notice it tends to happen when really cold air is in place as well, which we will have.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Steady run by the Euro.  Chattanooga folks are in the mix on the 6z Euro run.  

Screen_Shot_2022-03-10_at_7.29.47_AM.png

I will say, I find the Euro's snow maps to be a little more realistic and more climate based. Higher totals in the mountains and Upper Plateau with a pretty decent hit in the valley and surrounding areas. 

I am personally just wanting a solid 3 inches at this point. It has remained elusive all winter. Got close one time (a little over 2), with a few one 1 inchers in between. I swear one winter I will probably get my way to average with 30 car topper events. #valleylife

12 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

I will say, I find the Euro's snow maps to be a little more realistic and more climate based. Higher totals in the mountains and Upper Plateau with a pretty decent hit in the valley and surrounding areas. 

I am personally just wanting a solid 3 inches at this point. It has remained elusive all winter. Got close one time (a little over 2), with a few one 1 inchers in between. I swear one winter I will probably get my way to average with 30 car topper events. #valleylife

Area of slp might be 10 miles to the NNW of where it was at 0z on the 6z Euro.  Cold air moves in slightly(and I mean slightly) quicker.  Going to be a tight fit for our areas and eastward, but that track (along with earlier cold air) would make huge changes.  Looks to me like the front itself is the changeover line on model, meaning once the heavy rates arrive so does the cold air.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Silas Lang said:

Wow! You were not lying. HUGE jumps. Average went up to 4.5 from 2 in TYS.  A lot more big dogs. 

Even Chatt has over a 3" mean.Nashville is also at 4.2". Pretty good means across the board on that SREF run.

For NE TN peeps, we have the 3k/12k NAM and the 0z Euro in our camp.  GFS was trending that way. Morristown westward looked good overnight.  Need one more jog like the 3K NAM for our area.  I don't like sharing a foxhole with the Euro or NAM as they have been jumpy this winter.  Though, one would think at this range that they are starting to narrow the cone.  For now, heaviest snows looks to fall somewhere between the west side of the Plateau and Bean Station(little shout out to a well named city) or maybe even Bluff City.
I'm hoping NE TN scores on this. Long overdue.

I'm concerned about the wind Saturday morning up here on Big Bald. The ground is extremely wet here and I have a feeling there's gonna be quite a few downed trees/ power outages.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic