• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 9: Little Critter that could part 2.

Sey-Mour Snow

44 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Exactly , in our towns case we had an early dismissal already (every Wednesday) but they are doing an “emergency dismissal”  90 minutes earlier lol … just cancel the damn day instead of making transportation harder, letting out 90 minutes earlier makes no difference. 

Road will just be wet regardless-marginal temps and March Sun Angle.  You would think they would know this by now after so many busted calls in March going back a few years.

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

2 of our school closures were for roads that were wet.    Ridiculous.

I know it’s not an easy decision. There was a guy who tried to show me up a few storms back on this very topic. I get it, sure…but it’s their job and they have the best forecasters supposedly advising them. We should never put teachers and students in danger, absolutely, but their seems to be minimal attention on the affects to parents. We both wfh so no big deal but we not all parents can and not all parents can take PTO either. The worst is daycare though. When they close, you still pay for the day and end up scrambling to find a sitter, which you pay $15-$20/hr for. It’s a double whammy, fairly substantial imo.

All I am saying is to make the hit on families worthwhile. A true ‘snowstorm’ closure.

6 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Calling it now. @HoarfrostHubb jack at 4-5". 

Someone up in N ORH county or monads is gonna get a little fluff bomb I think...maybe back to N Berks and Mitch in S VT too. Best H7 fronto sort of goes right along the pike and a little north of that is where the jack will be IMHO....really good crosshair sig up in that area too.

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I know it’s not an easy decision. There was a guy who tried to show me up a few storms back on this very topic. I get it, sure…but it’s their job and they have the best forecasters supposedly advising them. We should never put teachers and students in danger, absolutely, but their seems to be minimal attention on the affects to parents. We both wfh so no big deal but we not all parents can and not all parents can take PTO either. The worst is daycare though. When they close, you still pay for the day and end up scrambling to find a sitter, which you pay $15-$20/hr for. It’s a double whammy, fairly substantial imo.

All I am saying is to make the hit on families worthwhile. A true ‘snowstorm’ closure.

Absolutely.  Often the decision has to be made at 5am and they go with what they have at that hour.     With that said, there are some that are really a head scratcher-for example the 2/4 "ice storm"  Was ice really going to accrete in the middle of the day with temps falling to 32 after hours and hours of rain and temps in the low 40's?    

-

about half the schools here are not air conditioned and we are up to 6/22 for end of school now-that becomes the problem too....

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Someone up in N ORH county or monads is gonna get a little fluff bomb I think...maybe back to N Berks and Mitch in S VT too. Best H7 fronto sort of goes right along the pike and a little north of that is where the jack will be IMHO....really good crosshair sig up in that area too.

Yeah jack is up that way. 

4 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Absolutely.  Often the decision has to be made at 5am and they go with what they have at that hour.     With that said, there are some that are really a head scratcher-for example the 2/4 "ice storm"  Was ice really going to accrete in the middle of the day with temps falling to 32 after hours and hours of rain and temps in the low 40's?    

Ice is always a tricky one.   If it is is the middle of the day I would question it for sure.  Predawn, go with safety

1-2" of snow in March shouldn't require cancellations etc.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

-

about half the schools here are not air conditioned and we are up to 6/22 for end of school now-that becomes the problem too....

Agree. Anyway, there are bigger problems to address so for now…I’ll enjoy rolling up a coating of snow on the lawn with my kid for a miniature snowman.