• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 9 Rain/Snow Event (Possibility of a few inches of wet snow for much of the subforum, most likely north and west of NYC)

HVSnowLover

4 hours ago, uncle W said:

you can go back to January 2000 when they didn't measure after midnight making a 6" storm a 5.5" storm...Central Park averaged 29.9" of snowfall since 1990...it probably would be over 30" if the little ones were measured right...

dont even have to do all that, if they had only properly measured Jan 1996 right, the actual NYC record for a season would have been 80 inches, higher than Philly in 2009-10 and easily 30" for the 30 year average.  How many people actually think NYC got 21" of snow in Jan 1996?

35 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

CMC/RGEM did really well with this one. They had this for several days before any of the other models jumped onboard. Go Canada. 

Models were too warm here at the end just like last event. In the cold areas of LI at least it was able to get down to 32 overnight, where it stayed as the snow moved in. Models predicted 36-37 and a change to rain. That made the difference. Unfortunately the city and immediate/south shore didn’t cool down overnight as much and couldn’t evap cool very much, so it was rain or snow that didn’t accumulate much. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

dont even have to do all that, if they had only properly measured Jan 1996 right, the actual NYC record for a season would have been 80 inches, higher than Philly in 2009-10 and easily 30" for the 30 year average.  How many people actually think NYC got 21" of snow in Jan 1996?

Jan 96 was probably somewhere around 24”. 
today is a total joke…..

I had between .5-1” on the uws not far from the park, with grassy surfaces completely covered and the park measure a trace!!

3BE2AD64-DA6A-425A-B9D1-B74BFF935978.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Jan 96 was probably somewhere around 24”. 
today is a total joke…..

I had between .5-1” on the uws not far from the park, with grassy surfaces completely covered and the park measure a trace!!

3BE2AD64-DA6A-425A-B9D1-B74BFF935978.jpeg

I think the park came in with 0.4” at 7pm. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

CMC/RGEM did really well with this one. They had this for several days before any of the other models jumped onboard. Go Canada. 

I think the metrics still say Euro is the best model but eyeballing it it seems like the CMC has been the strongest this winter overall. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Models were too warm here at the end just like last event. In the cold areas of LI at least it was able to get down to 32 overnight, where it stayed as the snow moved in. Models predicted 36-37 and a change to rain. That made the difference. Unfortunately the city and immediate/south shore didn’t cool down overnight as much and couldn’t evap cool very much, so it was rain or snow that didn’t accumulate much. 

And remember last night I mentioned that the RGEM came in warmer and showed a rain/snow mix for north-central NJ and NYC with little to no accumulation. It was correct about having to go northwest to see much accumulation. NAM on the other hand was way off with the idea of significant snow accumulations for this area. Yet again the RGEM outperformed the NAM. We saw that several times this winter. It is really a much better model than NAM. And the CMC was the first model to pick up on this storm hitting us several days ago. These Canadian models have been excellent this winter. I trust the CMC even more than the Euro these days for longer range threats, and then the RGEM does a good job with the details when you get close to the event.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

And remember last night I mentioned that the RGEM came in warmer and showed a rain/snow mix for north-central NJ and NYC with little to no accumulation. It was correct about having to go northwest to see much accumulation. NAM on the other hand was way off with the idea of significant snow accumulations for this area. Yet again the RGEM outperformed the NAM. We saw that several times this winter. It is really a much better model than NAM. And the CMC was the first model to pick up on this storm hitting us several days ago. These Canadian models have been excellent this winter. I trust the CMC even more than the Euro these days for longer range threats, and then the RGEM does a good job with the details when you get close to the event.

As soon as the models started bumping north with the snow yesterday and Mon night, it was clear the best snow would be inland and along I-84 where many in that area had 5”. It’s too bad this wasn’t a month earlier and 3-4 degrees colder. This would be a 6-8” snow area wide if that was the case. Islip I think came in with near 0.7” liquid so the higher QPF did work out. But the high sun angle and lousy ratios killed it. The Kuchera maps that took this into account were the best. 

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

I think the metrics still say Euro is the best model but eyeballing it it seems like the CMC has been the strongest this winter overall. 

There is no question the CMC has been better. It had this event nailed days before any other model. It was the best with the previous storm as well. All hail the new king. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

From the New York Botanical Garden:

image.jpeg.8b6f63f736942e5794c7f8453aa9427d.jpeg

image.jpeg.fd627c5246ca47c255c0cb24ff2d0c55.jpeg

image.jpeg.4918ab52765831322bbca7fcd19a1fcb.jpeg

image.jpeg.e83ddf8ec5396de7b92de8ab2d1e4247.jpeg

image.jpeg.d202fc333ac03b55f9ad3984d7542cfb.jpeg

Good evening Don. I remember an old almanac type weather saying ‘watch for frost on the pumpkin’ Your magnificent photos can also use a saying. Perhaps with a bit of theft from my beloved USPS … Neither rain, sleet, snow nor gloom of night can stay the beauty of these early blooms. Thank you, as always …..

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good evening Don. I remember an old almanac type weather saying ‘watch for frost on the pumpkin’ Your magnificent photos can also use a saying. Perhaps with a bit of theft from my beloved USPS … Neither rain, sleet, snow nor gloom of night can stay the beauty of these early blooms. Thank you, as always …..

Very creative. It’s amazing how much burst into bloom in recent days.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

The official Central Park measurement for Jan 96 storm was 20.2 inches which makes it even worse. Newark was 28 and LaGuardia 24 yet right in between the two 20.2  Sure it can happen that way but it didn’t, the real total was 24-26 as you stated. Many other examples like this, Boxing Day a similar under measurement. Like I said earlier don’t get me started. 

• Thanks 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic