Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Potential large EC storm/Heavy LES March 11-13th

1 hour ago, tombo82685 said:

Matt, what’s the williamstown area like snowfall wise 

It's alright. Doesn't get nearly the amount that the Tug gets just a short distance up the road. It's in a bit of a minima location, as it's lower in elevation as compared to places to the north, south, and east. There is a ridge between there and Amboy to the south that can get substantially more snow. The Amboy 4-H Center is very close. There will also be more snow in the village of Redfield a short distance up the road. If you would like a good spot in that general area, I recommend the hills between Florence and Camden for a local snowfall maxima. That extreme northwest corner of Oneida county does really well with lake effect snow and retention. 

There are some really nice coniferous forests in that region. Williamstown is in between Pulaski and Camden. You won't get any big box shopping (which I hate anyways) but you can find what you need by frequenting both communities. I love Camden and wanted to live there, but there just weren't many jobs. Most people that live there commute to the Rome and Utica areas for work. Some will go to Syracuse as well since I 81 isn't that far away. Wolfie lived really close to that area in Altmar, which averages pretty close to what Williamstown gets. P.S. Williamstown doesn't have much: A mechanic, ice cream shop, a tiny library, a tiny park, and a pretty popular gas station. It takes about 10 seconds to drive though. :) 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

It's alright. Doesn't get nearly the amount that the Tug gets just a short distance up the road. It's in a bit of a minima location, as it's lower in elevation as compared to places to the north, south, and east. There is a ridge between there and Amboy to the south that can get substantially more snow. The Amboy 4-H Center is very close. There will also be more snow in the village of Redfield a short distance up the road. If you would like a good spot in that general area, I recommend the hills between Florence and Camden for a local snowfall maxima. That extreme northwest corner of Oneida county does really well with lake effect snow and retention. 

There are some really nice coniferous forests in that region. Williamstown is in between Pulaski and Camden. You won't get any big box shopping (which I hate anyways) but you can find what you need by frequenting both communities. I love Camden and wanted to live there, but there just weren't many jobs. Most people that live there commute to the Rome and Utica areas for work. Some will go to Syracuse as well since I 81 isn't that far away. Wolfie lived really close to that area in Altmar, which averages pretty close to what Williamstown gets. P.S. Williamstown doesn't have much: A mechanic, ice cream shop, a tiny library, a tiny park, and a pretty popular gas station. It takes about 10 seconds to drive though. :) 

Thanks for the breakdown. Reason I’m asking is cause I sold my house in lowville. Just need inspection on Monday to go fine and it’s a done deal. Trying to find something closer to 81 to cut down my drive to PA and we’ll be closer to a bigger area. I saw a nice house in the williamstown area it’s about 2.5 miles south of it going towards amboy. Was curious what that area was like snow wise.  

11 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Thanks for the breakdown. Reason I’m asking is cause I sold my house in lowville. Just need inspection on Monday to go fine and it’s a done deal. Trying to find something closer to 81 to cut down my drive to PA and we’ll be closer to a bigger area. I saw a nice house in the williamstown area it’s about 2.5 miles south of it going towards amboy. Was curious what that area was like snow wise.  

Sure thing. That sounds like the ridge I was talking about. I have friends that live up there. Very pretty area right in there. It's the first set of hills where the lake effect can get squeezed out. It's a small microclimate, as right when you come down the hills you will see less snow in Amboy. It's also very wooded and snow retention is good. WINDY area though. You can actually see Syracuse at night in the distance from that area. (Not really light pollution in the sky...more like a smattering of tiny lights in the distance.) It's very easy to get to the Parish exit on I 81 there. Does the place have a finished basement so I can come up and live there? ;)

• Haha 1

Picked up 2 inches of fluff as that band rolled through this morning. 9 inch storm total here.

That puts me at 85 inches on the season. That's the same general range of the past two winters. Hopefully the next 3 Winters will go to the other side of average and I can get 3 Winters of 150 to 170 inches. :)

12 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Well at least I get to use my blower one last time lol But that could be it for this year, see you next winter..

Yeah I used mine yesterday and then let it run out of gas and flushed the carb. All ready for next season. My sister forgot to do that last year and the carb was shot took my dad awhile to dismantle and clean it all out.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Sure thing. That sounds like the ridge I was talking about. I have friends that live up there. Very pretty area right in there. It's the first set of hills where the lake effect can get squeezed out. It's a small microclimate, as right when you come down the hills you will see less snow in Amboy. It's also very wooded and snow retention is good. WINDY area though. You can actually see Syracuse at night in the distance from that area. (Not really light pollution in the sky...more like a smattering of tiny lights in the distance.) It's very easy to get to the Parish exit on I 81 there. Does the place have a finished basement so I can come up and live there? ;)

Lol, yea I got some more details on that place and not what im looking for in terms of the house. Though I believe I will be seeing a house right in between redfield and osceola next weekend. Right on a pond. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Lol, yea I got some more details on that place and not what im looking for in terms of the house. Though I believe I will be seeing a house right in between redfield and osceola next weekend. Right on a pond. 

Is that on Waterbury Rd? I lived along that road for a winter.

8 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Nice looking property lol

I'm always"dabbling" around that area..I'm pretty sure I know what property it is because of the pond..

Yea, Its just tough. I want that country setting, but also don't want to be 30 mins from nearest grocery store or what not. I've done the 30 mile drive to work for most of my life, it can get old, especially right now with gas prices. I would love to get around the copenhagen to rodman area would be ideal. Would only be a 20 minute drive to where I work right now. Also, open moving closer to syracuse, but hearing matt speak so negative about, I'm very eeeeee lol

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Yea, Its just tough. I want that country setting, but also don't want to be 30 mins from nearest grocery store or what not. I've done the 30 mile drive to work for most of my life, it can get old, especially right now with gas prices. I would love to get around the copenhagen to rodman area would be ideal. Would only be a 20 minute drive to where I work right now. Also, open moving closer to syracuse, but hearing matt speak so negative about, I'm very eeeeee lol

You'll get everything you need living near Syracuse. Most people aren't cold winter weenies to the extreme that I am. There are people that live in the Parish and Central Square areas that commute to Syracuse daily. I was only about 3 minutes from the locale you're looking at (Rte. 39) and it feels like forever to get anywhere from there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

You'll get everything you need living near Syracuse. Most people aren't cold winter weenies to the extreme that I am. There are people that live in the Parish and Central Square areas that commute to Syracuse daily. I was only about 3 minutes from the locale you're looking at (Rte. 39) and it feels like forever to get anywhere from there.

Yea that’s my worry, that forever feeling of a drive lol. O well, we will see what comes about. I’ll be picking your brain though. Is there an area you’d recommend closer to Syracuse?

10 minutes ago, tombo82685 said:

Yea that’s my worry, that forever feeling of a drive lol. O well, we will see what comes about. I’ll be picking your brain though. Is there an area you’d recommend closer to Syracuse?

Honestly, I'd recommend the Cazenovia/Manlius area (especially Cazenovia as it's higher in elevation and a very nice area). I absolutely love Madison county. It's such a beautiful area.

If you want more affordable than that area, I recommend looking at the Lafayette/Tully areas. They're more remote and farther out, but still a close drive to Syracuse.

If you want suburbia in what "used to be the snowbelt"... the northern burbs of Bville to Clay to Brewerton to Cicero are your choices. Safe areas with a variety of stores and homes. I find them to be very boring areas, as I am not a fan of overdevelopment and they're VERY flat. The landscape is quite boring. Bville is beautiful with rolling hills and rivers. 

I personally like the area between Bville and Fulton, known as Granby and Phoenix. Still much more of a rural feel but close to everything. Many people say to stay away from Fulton, as it has a lot of the issues that dying cities have. The companies left and drugs are a big issue. The homes there are thus very affordable.

I would live in the Cazenovia/Pompey areas in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

1 minute ago, TugHillMatt said:

Honestly, I'd recommend the Cazenovia/Manlius area (especially Cazenovia as it's higher in elevation and a very nice area). I absolutely love Madison county. It's such a beautiful area.

If you want more affordable than that area, I recommend looking at the Lafayette/Tully areas. They're more remote and farther out, but still a close drive to Syracuse.

If you want suburbia in what "used to be the snowbelt"... the northern burbs of Bville to Clay to Brewerton to Cicero are your choices. Safe areas with a variety of stores and homes. I find them to be very boring areas, as I am not a fan of overdevelopment and they're VERY flat. The landscape is quite boring. Bville is beautiful with rolling hills and rivers. 

I personally like the area between Bville and Fulton, known as Granby and Phoenix. Still much more of a rural feel but close to everything. Many people say to stay away from Fulton, as it has a lot of the issues that dying cities have. The companies left and drugs are a big issue. The homes there are thus very affordable.

I would live in the Cazenovia/Pompey areas in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

What about parish area?

1 minute ago, tombo82685 said:

What about parish area?

There's not much in Parish, but Central Square right down the road has some of the amenities that you would need. Central Square is one of the fastest growing places in Oswego county. Parish gets a substantial amount of lake effect snow. Mexico, to its Northwest, does even better. It is a bit more of a drive, but not too much. I really like Mexico. It has a cute downtown and beautiful public school and property. There are many great farms, especially orchards, in that area. I have looked for jobs there, but Oswego county in general is a rough place to find certain employment. LakeEffectKing grew up in Parish and has family that still lives there.

• Like 1