• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion

Chicago Storm

Mentioned this yesterday, but could see a lower threat near the IL shore (and by extension, WI) as winds cut in off the lake.  I would expect this to mainly be an issue from Lake county IL and northward, but it's possible that it could also be a factor right along the shoreline in Cook county (especially the farther north you go in Cook).  Will just depend on how quickly/when the winds turn more southerly and lose most or all of that easterly component.

chi-sfc.gif

• Like 2

First warning of the day:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville
316 PM CDT Wed May 25 2022

The National Weather Service in Chicago has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Northeastern Kane County in northeastern Illinois...

* Until 400 PM CDT.

* At 316 PM CDT, showers capable of producing tornadoes was located
  near Elburn, or near Campton Hills, moving north at 30 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
           Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree
           damage is likely.

* Locations impacted include...
  Elgin, Carpentersville, St. Charles, Algonquin, Huntley, Geneva,
  Campton Hills, South Elgin, Pingree Grove, Gilberts, West Dundee,
  Hampshire, Elburn, Barrington Hills, Sleepy Hollow, East Dundee,
  Wayne, Valley View and Lily Lake.

This includes...  Elgin Community College.

Including the following interstate...
 I-90 between mile markers 45 and 56.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest
floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a
mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter
and protect yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 4207 8824 4207 8826 4188 8831 4188 8849
      4215 8847 4215 8824
TIME...MOT...LOC 2016Z 186DEG 27KT 4190 8841

7 minutes ago, sbnwx85 said:

First warning of the day:

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Tornado Warning
National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville
316 PM CDT Wed May 25 2022

The National Weather Service in Chicago has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Northeastern Kane County in northeastern Illinois...

* Until 400 PM CDT.

* At 316 PM CDT, showers capable of producing tornadoes was located
  near Elburn, or near Campton Hills, moving north at 30 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed.
           Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree
           damage is likely.

* Locations impacted include...
  Elgin, Carpentersville, St. Charles, Algonquin, Huntley, Geneva,
  Campton Hills, South Elgin, Pingree Grove, Gilberts, West Dundee,
  Hampshire, Elburn, Barrington Hills, Sleepy Hollow, East Dundee,
  Wayne, Valley View and Lily Lake.

This includes...  Elgin Community College.

Including the following interstate...
 I-90 between mile markers 45 and 56.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest
floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a
mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter
and protect yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 4207 8824 4207 8826 4188 8831 4188 8849
      4215 8847 4215 8824
TIME...MOT...LOC 2016Z 186DEG 27KT 4190 8841

Alert went off on phone and sirens going

• Like 1

Ugh. This was like a rinse/repeat of my last IL chase (April 30th, although at least that one actually had a tornado watch in effect), in which I initially targeted points east of I-39 but bailed on that after convection in that area failed to impress, intercepted new development further west that looked somewhat intriguing only for it to likewise lose organization as I got in position, followed it for a little while before breaking off and starting for home, only for it to become tornado warned near the WI/IL border when it was just out of my reach.

This time I ended up going as far as Streator before looping around back to Ottawa and I-80. I was basically going home on I-39 when I noticed the somewhat vigorous cell between Dixon and Polo (which per my Radarscope was about the only thing producing lightning thus far all day, and had hints of a reflectivity hook and weak couplet), and jumped off on IL-72 then southwest on 2 from Byron then west on Mud Creek Road to Mt. Morris. The storm had some discernable structure but it appeared to be mostly outflow in nature (a bowing gust front/shelf cloud) and the hints of supercellular radar signatures had largely disappeared by the time I reached it. Since the storm was moving NNE, I went north from Mt. Morris back to 72 then west to Forreston, punching through the rain and north on 26 towards home. I was approaching Freeport when I noticed that the storm was now tornado-warned in Winnebago County, with a noticeable couplet near Shirland, and another warning encompassing that and another little cell that had popped up out ahead of it into southern Rock County, WI. This was now about 20 miles to my east-northeast and would have required more backtracking, breakneck driving on back roads and punching through rain cores than I cared to do at this point.

SPC's LSR page has some damage reports that would appear to be associated with this, although the timestamps are after the tornado warnings would have expired, and they are listed as wind damage. I never did see any word of spotter confirmation in the tornado warning texts, and they never were extended beyond their initial issuance, so we'll see what the surveys say.

2 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Ugh. This was like a rinse/repeat of my last IL chase (April 30th, although at least that one actually had a tornado watch in effect), in which I initially targeted points east of I-39 but bailed on that after convection in that area failed to impress, intercepted new development further west that looked somewhat intriguing only for it to likewise lose organization as I got in position, followed it for a little while before breaking off and starting for home, only for it to become tornado warned near the WI/IL border when it was just out of my reach.

This time I ended up going as far as Streator before looping around back to Ottawa and I-80. I was basically going home on I-39 when I noticed the somewhat vigorous cell between Dixon and Polo (which per my Radarscope was about the only thing producing lightning thus far all day, and had hints of a reflectivity hook and weak couplet), and jumped off on IL-72 then southwest on 2 from Byron then west on Mud Creek Road to Mt. Morris. The storm had some discernable structure but it appeared to be mostly outflow in nature (a bowing gust front/shelf cloud) and the hints of supercellular radar signatures had largely disappeared by the time I reached it. Since the storm was moving NNE, I went north from Mt. Morris back to 72 then west to Forreston, punching through the rain and north on 26 towards home. I was approaching Freeport when I noticed that the storm was now tornado-warned in Winnebago County, with a noticeable couplet near Shirland, and another warning encompassing that and another little cell that had popped up out ahead of it into southern Rock County, WI. This was now about 20 miles to my east-northeast and would have required more backtracking, breakneck driving on back roads and punching through rain cores than I cared to do at this point.

SPC's LSR page has some damage reports that would appear to be associated with this, although the timestamps are after the tornado warnings would have expired, and they are listed as wind damage. I never did see any word of spotter confirmation in the tornado warning texts, and they never were extended beyond their initial issuance, so we'll see what the surveys say.

There is 1 tornado report now on the SPC page.  I think it may be from the cell that you mentioned.

• Sad 1

Here's yesterday's storm when it was passing northwest/west of Mt. Morris and Leaf River, IL, then a rainbow looking east from IL-26 somewhere near Freeport. A couple of locals got video and the tornado wasn't particularly photogenic, but always annoying to be on a storm and then leave it shortly before it produces.

052522_01_512.jpg

052522_02_512.jpg

052522_03_512.jpg

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, vortex said:

Friend of mine took this pic about 30 minutes ago just west of German Valley, Illinois.     

83B49330-304F-450E-9F2B-1711FD11F667.jpeg

Seriously? Same area I was just in yesterday on the storm I left about an hour before it produced the Beloit tornado (post right above yours). The amount of trolling the atmosphere gives me is ridiculous.

Doesn't appear a warning was ever issued on this.

14 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Seriously? Same area I was just in yesterday on the storm I left about an hour before it produced the Beloit tornado (post right above yours). The amount of trolling the atmosphere gives me is ridiculous.

Doesn't appear a warning was ever issued on this.

Hahaha.  Yes.  Guess the sirens went off locally. NWS issued a SWS for land spouts right after.  

• Chicago Storm changed the title to 2022 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion