Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2022 OBS Thread

4 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

M’eh, rain, some wind, a rumble of thunder. Temp down to 68F :D

Lightning is a lost art these days. Way more thunder this Spring...normal, distant, rolling or a military bomb in your backyard.

Birds chirping out back because they know things are in the clear...time to gather worms.

69F 

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Starting to get some light rain. Nothing measurable yet as the line has bee fizzling as it slides in.  Temp is down to 76 with dp 67.

Sun out here (should be coming your way), birds chirping...good sunset incoming.

69F/DP 63F

Days like today are 100% why I wanted to be a geologist. More than makes up for all of the crappy weather days. This was my "office" for today, doing some well sampling in some woods north of Coatesville.

hLi0Ozx.png

69 and dry here now. Only got .03" precip yesterday. Loving this weather after last weekend.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

No measurable rain overnight. The record high for today is 91 degrees set in 1964. Our record low is the 30 degree reading today in 1956. Of note that would be the 2nd latest freezing temperature ever recorded in Western Chester County. The latest freezing temp occurred on May 28, 1927 when the low was 32 degrees.

image.png.dfe8b0cb3814d5c1fc991995e33c7901.png

18 minutes ago, RedSky said:

63F and cloudy here's that cold again 

66 here with dp 50 and overcast after some drizzle this morning (with a low of 60 earlier).  I have some potted tropicals and subtropicals in my basement that are demanding to go out for the season and I usually get them out just before or around now, but some don't like below mid-50s temps either, which I have had most of the overnights this month except for a handful.  I gotta get them up and out this week  though.

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

66 here with dp 50 and overcast after some drizzle this morning (with a low of 60 earlier).  I have some potted tropicals and subtropicals in my basement that are demanding to go out for the season and I usually get them out just before or around now, but some don't like below mid-50s temps either, which I have had most of the overnights this month except for a handful.  I gotta get them up and out this week  though.

:pimp:

65F/DP 52F...beautiful!!

36 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

:pimp:

65F/DP 52F...beautiful!!

4 small citrus trees, a coffee plant, a tropical hibiscus, a stephanotis, and 2 plumerias including my big one that instead of dropping its old blooming inflo stalk this past winter (when I had it in a dark cool corner of the unfinished part of the basement), it started blooming from it again! :huh:

That plumie is always a late bloomer - usually  not until August.  And it has a bunch more bloom buds on that inflorescence too.  I guess that's a nice bonus but under the artificial lights, the bloom is yellow.  In the sun, the flowers are normally spirals of light and hot pink with a little yellow in the center (pic below from about 4 years ago).

The sun was trying to come out earlier here but it has clouded back over and temp is up a degree to 67 with dp 51.  At least I do have the AC off.

plumeria-blooms1-09082018.JPG

39 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I think it's warm enough they live in Florida and they commonly have 40's in the winter. Lemon tree's are out for a week now. 

7 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I think it's warm enough they live in Florida and they commonly have 40's in the winter. Lemon tree's are out for a week now. 

Yeah when you have them planted in the ground, they can handle it. But these are potted and not "hardened off" yet.  The next couple days with overcast, are actually the best time to put them all out because I can avoid sun scald of the leaves until they adjust.  I have a Dekopan mandarin that can go out but the other 3 citrus are limes (key lime, Thai lime, Australian red lime) and those are more sensitive to the cooler temps, and the plumies will end up with yellowing and dropping leaves if they have sudden or prolonged chill in the 50s (that's how they go dormant in winter in FL and HI).  Forgot that I also have a fig, so that can actually go out in those temps.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Yeah when you have them planted in the ground, they can handle it. But these are potted and not "hardened off" yet.  The next couple days with overcast, are actually the best time to put them all out because I can avoid sun scald of the leaves until they adjust.  I have a Dekopan mandarin that can go out but the other 3 citrus are limes (key lime, Thai lime, Australian red lime) and those are more sensitive to the cooler temps, and the plumies will end up with yellowing and dropping leaves if they have sudden or prolonged chill in the 50s (that's how they go dormant in winter in FL and HI).  Forgot that I also have a fig, so that can actually go out in those temps.

Damn sounds like you are making a Long Wood gardens 2.0

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Damn sounds like you are making a Long Wood gardens 2.0

LOL They need to be watered more often when mother nature doesn't do it, but it's nice to sit outside on the patio and enjoy them! :sun:

Am up to 68 with dp 51 and it's nice out as I weed (the weeds have been fierce this year).

3 hours ago, RedSky said:

Feel like spring 2022 as it nears it's conclusion had near record the number of either windy or cloudy days. Asta La Vista spring and don't come back again ya'll. 

I know it's not for everybody, but I rather enjoyed it, actually. Today was a super nice day to be out in the field, without the sun just beating down on you like it seems to do more often these days. I dunno, maybe I just didn't notice it as much growing up, but it sure feels way hotter when it's sunny out than it used to.

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

I know it's not for everybody, but I rather enjoyed it, actually. Today was a super nice day to be out in the field, without the sun just beating down on you like it seems to do more often these days. I dunno, maybe I just didn't notice it as much growing up, but it sure feels way hotter when it's sunny out than it used to.

I waited patiently to see the heat again and was served up just two days of it in March, April and again in May lol

8 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Rumor has it there could be a meteor storm space fireworks on Tuesday morning from 12:45 to 1:17am

The forecast as of the moment is clear skies!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/space-news/rare-meteor-storm-possible-over-memorial-day-weekend/1192686?fbclid=IwAR0kQIldmxN-g-q00N3VU6C-elBIJpgaKCnBotD2YTVszIoHFSXF0Z6g_so

Cool - remind us Monday evening please! 

Meanwhile, heavy drizzle here for about the last 90 minutes. Pretty wet out.