• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2022 OBS Thread

The NWS has a forecast high today of 92 degrees...WXSIM says 88 here along the peaks of the Welsh Mountain. The record high for today is the 95 degree reading back in 1934. Our record low is 34 from 2002. Record rainfall is 3.55" in 1894 for a 2 day total of 8.44" of rain- Below I have attached the handwritten observations of that very rainy stretch from the Coatesville Weather observer WT Gordon from May 1894.

image.thumb.png.a523839767bb0e29d94fbb5f025802ff.png

Of note we have not had a 90+ day in May since May 3, 2018. In that year we ended with 4 days above 90 that summer. The last time we had earlier 90+ temps (April/May) was on April 26 and 27, 2009. In that summer we never again saw a 90+ day as those 2 were the only times we were able to crack 90 that year and 1 day was 89.5. Before that our last 90 in May was on May 4, 2001.

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

The NWS has a forecast high today of 92 degrees...WXSIM says 88 here along the peaks of the Welsh Mountain. The record high for today is the 95 degree reading back in 1934. Our record low is 34 from 2002. Record rainfall is 3.55" in 1894 for a 2 day total of 8.44" of rain- Below I have attached the handwritten observations of that very rainy stretch from the Coatesville Weather observer WT Gordon from May 1894.

image.thumb.png.a523839767bb0e29d94fbb5f025802ff.png

You realize you made me go deep down a rabbit hole a few months ago regarding that guy and who I believe he is, resulting in some interesting info (based on census data and township historical docs) but that will be for another day. :lol::P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Not that I was going but got an email from the township that Towamencin Day is canceled because Fischer’s Park is waterlogged from yesterday’s rain. That doesn’t bode well for any mowing plans I had today.

Maybe go really fast?

Currently 87F here, dp 71.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

You realize you made me go deep down a rabbit hole a few months ago regarding that guy and who I believe he is, resulting in some interesting info (based on census data and township historical docs) but that will be for another day. :lol::P

Do tell! Maybe in the banter thread?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Would love to know more about him and the guy that followed him Howard Pyle....let me know! Thanks!
Paul

1 minute ago, Birds~69 said:

Right on the fringe of 90F....DP is a mess at 71F.

Two weeks ago, a good Vegas proposition/odds for my area would have been:

North Wales hits 90F first or gas hits $5.00 first (we know the answer now, gas at $4.85 and i'll hit 90F+ today)

89.jpg

Yeah but is the AC on? 

Just now, KamuSnow said:

Yeah but is the AC on? 

Believe it or not no. Working outside and sweating like a pig. My goal is by mid-afternoon, come in and turn it on for the first time while jumping, hopping or skipping into a cool shower. Then when I get out it's like a wind chill effect. Grab a beer, plant my ass in the recliner and watch the final holes of the 3 round PGA Championship. Dinner, not sure?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Would love to know more about him and the guy that followed him Howard Pyle....let me know! Thanks!
Paul

Let me go through and gather what I saved in my "electronic folder" on who I believe is him (including some screenshots of stuff).  Was debating where to stick it since I am trying to avoid the trolling threads where his name came up, so may want to stick it in one of your other threads.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Let me go through and gather what I saved in my "electronic folder" on who I believe is him (including some screenshots of stuff).  Was debating where to stick it since I am trying to avoid the trolling threads where his name came up, so may want to stick it in one of your other threads.

I kind of miss our obsessive friend from the valley!!  Thanks for sharing!!

2 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Nice! Do you get the pines smell on days with a NW wind? That's the first thing I noticed when we got off the plane in Bangor (a few years ago). It's beautiful up there.

YEP…

Where we live it smells, pretty much constantly, like one of those balsam pillows you can get from LL Bean (with the scent of white birch thrown in)!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Do tell! Maybe in the banter thread?

2 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Lol, I can feel the lvwxhistorian guy about to burst through the screen.

2 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

Paul

Posted at the link.

And I briefly hit 94 for a high so far but am currently at 93 with dp 70.  I did venture out to put my patio umbrella up and it's the good old-fashioned blast furnace of last year out there. :lol: