• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2022 OBS Thread

0.85" of rain so far thru 7pm in East Nantmeal Twp in Chester County PA. Temp down to 49.2...exactly 2.00" of rain since yesterday in East Nantmeal, with 0.97" falling since midnight. The record high for today is 93 from way back in 1930 - our record low was the 28 degrees from 1974. Record rainfall is 2.90" set back in 1992. A couple of you had asked about the low maximum record for today....while we will likely stay in the 40's the record low max of 46 set back in 1967 will be safe. Our high temperature earlier this AM was 48.3 degrees.

image.png.c74ee59a01fa1b257caa4285ecf10c69.png

100% nasty as it gets for May, would have been the biggest April blizzard on record if it happened a month ago when we had arctic air. Looks like the coastal is beginning to form over the Delmarva. 

I imagined the same thing. A month or two earlier would have been one hell of a blizzard with a nice front end thump yesterday and the real storm today. Definitely a strangely powerful coastal for this time of the year. I honestly do not recall many of these setups for May. In any case this storm helps establish soil moisture to start the growing season.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LVLion77 said:

I imagined the same thing. A month or two earlier would have been one hell of a blizzard with a nice front end thump yesterday and the real storm today. Definitely a strangely powerful coastal for this time of the year. I honestly do not recall many of these setups for May. In any case this storm helps establish soil moisture to start the growing season.

One more thing about it, all the guidance had lesser precipitation amounts for the Lehigh Valley and Poconos with the heaviest expected totals out towards south central PA but the bullseye has ended up substantially to the northeast. We know that never happens in the winter with snow. 

• Weenie 1

5 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Brutal outside for May. Rain, Windy (35-40+mph gust) and 49F. Has that super raw feel where everything goes right through you...

49F/Rain/Windy

12:30pm and my temp is currently 44.1 degrees with 2.91" in the gauge for the entire event so far. At least we don't have the wind you have down there, but good God is it cold and raw outside.

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

12:30pm and my temp is currently 44.1 degrees with 2.91" in the gauge for the entire event so far. At least we don't have the wind you have down there, but good God is it cold and raw outside.

Yeah, the wind took 2 pieces of siding out...not too bad but another "put it on the list" things to do.

47F/Rain

*Clueless Phils (like Girardi) think they'll be able to play a 4:05 game today. Still not cancelled....

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Yeah, the wind took 2 pieces of siding out...not too bad but another "put it on the list" things to do.

47F/Rain

*Clueless Phils (like Girardi) think they'll be able to play a 4:05 game today. Still not cancelled....

That sucks about your siding. The winds this year have been rough. We have a broken wooden fence from the wind a couple weeks ago. As for the Phillies, I highly doubt they play that game. Why wait to make a decision that's pretty obvious.?

Have been trying to find what the record low max is for this date at PHL 'cause it seems we might be close.  Also thinking it's possible to have record rainfall for this date at PHL too.  There is a PNS and LSR for the winds but nothing for precip.

Currently 45 and misty with occasional light rain and dp 44.  Now have 1.61" for the day (2.49" for the 2-day event) and the winds seem to have let up some.

A nice 2.69" total (thus far, some rain still slowly rotating in at this hour) for Friday/Saturday here in Reading. I'm all for it being this cold (currently 43°F) this late in the year. I know it's going to switch to being uncomfortably hot and moist soon, so I'll enjoy being able to wear extra layers for as long a possible.

As a personal observation, my benchmark for the full leaf-out, greening of SEPA is May 10. We seem to be a bit late this year, as most trees around me are still in the process of leafing out. I guess it's kind of relative as one could expect fluxuations year-to-year in our region. Doesn't seem too irregular given a long-term view, though some recent years have seen full leaf-out way earlier than my personal benchmark. This is one of the outliers I think. (Thinking of maybe 2012 as an analogue.)

I'm not built for summer mid-Atlantic US heat/humidity. Maybe someday I'll be able to live in a much farther northern clime. Until then, this makes me happy. Cheers~

• Weenie 1

Saturday's total was 2.00" on the dot by midnight, making for a 2.88" 2-day total.  Have had 0.16" this morning that tapered off after 4 am, for a 3.04" total for the 3-day event so far.

There was low stratus earlier this morning and I appear to have bottomed out at 40 for a low this morning.  It's currently overcast, misty and 42 with dp 37 and still a bit breezy but much reduced from the past 2 days.

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I think you are in a sliver of a dry slot. :P  Still overcast and 44 here with occasional dribbles.  Now have 0.19" for the day and 3.07" total.

radar17-05082022.png

Yep, at least it's better to get dry slotted w/rain than snow. Either way, it's spinning out of here quicker than I thought yesterday. Think by noon many will in good shape Philly N and W...

45F 

spin.jpg