• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2022 OBS Thread

Interesting that as my Facebook weather members has continued to grow....it has been noticed by the powers that be at Facebook! I had no idea that when you reach a certain level of "community significance" LOL - we require more protection. This little side project has far exceeded my expectations and has grown beyond just Chester County. I guess a lot more folks are as Ben Franklin said - "weather wise and not otherwise"

image.thumb.png.ad3ee8a5f179cfbc11c1f53c3264199e.png

I think the first 10 days of this month will be snowless. A better pattern may establish itself after the 10th-15th but by then, you really need a lot of things to go right in order to get a decent event that isn't white rain. I wouldn't totally say winter is over but it's likely on life support. Would be nice to see a 6" storm to get me to average though. Hope for a weak Nino next winter...

Below is an analysis of the average temperature history by decade of our winter months of December, January and February here in the philly burbs of Western Chester County. As always our climate is very cyclical in it's warming and cooling cycles. By decade we have had 6 decades with increased average temps vs the prior decade and 5 decades with colder temps than the prior decade. Of note the 3 coldest DJF decades occurred during our last cold cycle in the 1960's through the 1980's. 

image.png.352f36d3b631b7a18c6cee0a8cdac3e7.png

Winter-ish tomorrow (w/some winds) and Friday (low 40s highs/overnight lows, teens/low 20s)...record potential highs  Sun/Mon for Philly.

Sun record high: 71F / Predicted high 71F

Mon record high: 74F / Predicted high 71F

Don't care about snow any longer because it's useless this time of year. All it does is make the townships throw down more brine/salt even though it won't stick anyways...don't need it.

I'll take brutal below normal temps through Sept... 

44F

• Confused 1

After a low of 37 this morning and some damp walks from the clipper passing by to the north (although no measurable precip), I made it up to 48 as a high.  I could tell when the cold front came through this morning because from that point on, the dp was on its downward trend.

It's currently 37 with dp 7 so that is pretty significant change from the 42 earlier today!

8 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

24.4°F right now at almost 1:30am. Forecast high for Sunday is 74 and Monday is 75. That's weird, right? I feel like that should be May weather. I mean, at least it's supposed to go back down into the 50s afterwards, but still. Do not like.

Unusual but we won't get close to the daily records here in Chester County - Tomorrow and Monday are both record highs of 75 - recorded in 1946 and 1921 respectively

Ended up hitting a high of 39 yesterday after a low of 21 for the day.  This morning's low was 26 and it's currently overcast and 42, with dp 26.  Couple day warm up coming and that might trigger my crocuses to do something (their little grassy leaves have been up for awhile and the snowdrops are still going).

Here in Chester County the 2022 - January/February finished with a slightly below average temperature of 30.39. (our 66th coldest of 129 years) Below are the Top 15 coldest January-February pairings - of note 3 of the Top 15 coldest winter month pairings have occurred since 2000. With 7 of the top 15 all taking place since 1977. Rankings below

image.png.ca276e133b7c1631a9ca90cd78fcf594.png

Here in Chester County. We average almost 6" of snow during the first month of spring. Below is a list of our Top 20 March snowstorms and our top 20 Snowiest March months since our weather records began back in 1894. Of note the snowiest March was just 4 years ago....it has not snowed in March the last 2 years - we have never gone 3 consecutive March years without measurable snow in Chester County PA

image.png.2b1b4a9b6f6bff6390f5d23d322f3259.png