Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2022

George BM

8 hours ago, nj2va said:

I just watched the 2nd half of that championship game.  I was glad to see Delaware win a hard fought game.  

Sorry about Towson!  Hopefully next year is the year for them.

My older son's best friend plays for Towson, so it was hard to see them lose after such a good run this year.  On the other hand, my other son goes to Delaware, so I guess either way we were kind of happy. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, toolsheds said:

My oldest turns 21 next Thursday....that will be a fun day!

19 hours ago, mattie g said:

St. Patrick's Day = Amateur Day

Ocean City = Shitshow Town

It's going to be awful down there. :lol:

Our resident social/morale chairperson in our office randomly decided to set an offsite get-together that's had to be rescheduled for the past month for next Thursday. St. Patrick's Day. UGH. I avoid every bar, pub, eatery on that day more than any other during the year...sure, it was cute and fun to swill green beer and drunkenly lisp in an Irish brogue on SPD....when I was 25 years younger. As the token and curmedeonly GenX'er on the team I've bitched vociferously about the timing, but it's falling on deaf ears.

8 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hahaha Yeah I think I share my age (+/- a year) with Millersville and @Fozz...Come to think of it, I think the youngest regular poster here would be... @Cobalt? Perhaps followed by the other poster (can't remember his name) that has a red tag that started posting recently. But it seems like there are more of you "old heads" ;) on here. Weenie generations ftw, lol

OK zoomer.  ;) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Our resident social/morale chairperson in our office randomly decided to set an offsite get-together that's had to be rescheduled for the past month for next Thursday. St. Patrick's Day. UGH. I avoid every bar, pub, eatery on that day more than any other during the year...sure, it was cute and fun to swill green beer and drunkenly lisp in an Irish brogue on SPD....when I was 25 years younger. As the token and curmedeonly GenX'er on the team I've bitched vociferously about the timing, but it's falling on deaf ears.

That's an AWFUL decision on your co-worker's part! :lol:

Thursdays are the most appropriate days for Happy Hours, though. As the PM for my team, I'm trying to get team get-togethers back on the calendar. It's tough with everyone working a flexible hybrid schedule and lots of folks being well west of the city, but I'm going to see if we can do regular (every month or so) Thursday Happy Hours and quarterly Friday half-day in-office days followed by a big team lunch and everyone free to finish their days at home.

The ability to telework is fantastic, and in my field (IT) it's a necessity to attract and keep talent...but man, it's hard to promote the team culture that we had for years prior to COVID and remote work!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

OK zoomer.  ;) 

<Scottish accent>Get 'yer accents right, laddie, and have another dram!  Don't put that green beer piss down 'yer gullet!</Scottish accent>

The Irish have a LILT, the Scots have a BROGUE! :D

That said, I agree...don't care to be near an Irish pub or anything on that day either.  Even when I was younger and though it would be cool to go, it was nearly impossible to get in anywhere anyhow, everything was packed to the gills.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

<Scottish accent>Get 'yer accents right, laddie, and have another dram!  Don't put that green beer piss down 'yer gullet!</Scottish accent>

The Irish have a LILT, the Scottish have a BROGUE! :D

That said, I agree...don't care to be near an Irish pub or anything on that day either.  Even when I was younger and though it would be cool to go, it was nearly impossible to get in anywhere anyhow, everything was packed to the gills.

Actually..."brogue" was originally used to refer to Irish accent, while "burr" was used to refer to a Scottish one! "Lilt" is in reference to a kind of Irish singing, but has been applied to an Irish accent that is more flowing, kind of like a soft gliding sound. That said, using "brogue" for both Irish and Scottish is pretty much OK!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Actually..."brogue" was originally used to refer to Irish accent, while "burr" was used to refer to a Scottish one! "Lilt" is in reference to a kind of Irish singing, but has been applied to an Irish accent that is more flowing, kind of like a soft gliding sound. That said, using "brogue" for both Irish and Scottish is pretty much OK!

Interesting...thanks for that!  I've only heard lilt applied to Irish and brogue to Scottish.  Didn't know "lilt" came from a style of singing like that.

Either way...Scottish or Irish, brogue or lilt...the sheep are getting nervous!!:lol:  I'm reminded of an Irish bar I had gone to in Atlanta, they had a regular there who came in to sing, etc., and he was really good.  For one song that required "audience participation,", he said "if you're American you say 'more sex', if you're English you say 'more beer!' and if you're Scottish you say 'more sheep!'" LOL!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Interesting...thanks for that!  I've only heard lilt applied to Irish and brogue to Scottish.  Didn't know "lilt" came from a style of singing like that.

Either way...Scottish or Irish, brogue or lilt...the sheep are getting nervous!!:lol:

Wait...we haven't even talked about the Welsh!

• Haha 2

On 3/8/2022 at 2:32 PM, usedtobe said:

I power washed my boat yesterday.  The warm temps really motivated me to do something I hadn't done for a couple of year.   The other motivation was the boat had lots of bird poop on it from being parked in its slip in Florida and really needed a wash.     Anyway,  boat carpet looks the best it's looked in years.  I still need to fill the various boating compartment that I emptied prior to the wash.  I'm looking forward to fishing this spring if gas prices don't limit me too much.  I rarely post here anymore because I do the Capital Weather Gang bit but still stop by and read thoughts on storms and remember how much I enjoyed interacting with everyone. I am hoping to see a few snowflakes though it's doubtful I'll see accumulations. 

I was going to do the same with my boat this weekend but now it looks like western md is gonna cash in on some snow. Power washer goes back in the garage and skis come back out :snowman:

Finally broke down and bought the family season passes to wisp for next year, and they let you use them the remainder of this year. Hopefully that doesnt jinx the weather next winter!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mdhokie said:

I was going to do the same with my boat this weekend but now it looks like western md is gonna cash in on some snow. Power washer goes back in the garage and skis come back out :snowman:

Finally broke down and bought the family season passes to wisp for next year, and they let you use them the remainder of this year. Hopefully that doesnt jinx the weather next winter!

Getting those now is a great deal. We do that every year. 

Just now, CAPE said:

So Commanders fans(shit that still sounds so lame) what y'all think of the new addition to the QB room?

Meh. Not the  game changer they were looking for. 

Probably an upgrade over Heineke but I don't think he adds a bunch of wins to your record.

Just now, Chris78 said:

Meh. Not the  game changer they were looking for. 

Probably an upgrade over Heineke but I don't think he adds a bunch of wins to your record.

He is serviceable. He plays hard and will compete. Definitely prone to the head scratching mistake at a critical time. Given the few options available for an upgrade, not a bad move. Imagine being TB, NO, or Carolina at this juncture. No answers at the most important position.

9 hours ago, CAPE said:

So Commanders fans(shit that still sounds so lame) what y'all think of the new addition to the QB room?

blah. I hope Heinicke continues to start, I really like him. Wentz would probably get hurt in pre-season game #1 and sit the rest of the year. very on brand for WSH to spend millions for a QB who ends up sitting. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CAPE said:

Wentz only does well when he has a good team around him. Colts have good weapons. The eagles had good weapons. Until they didn’t and then he sucked. 

He’s hurt a lot too. So not sure when the last time he played a full 16 game season. To echo mappy, I like Heinicke. His arm isn’t the best but he plays with energy which gets others hyped up. 

And why were the Colts so willing to get rid of him?  Reich is the one coach that likes Wentz. The WTFs(yeah I have to keep calling them that) didn’t give up a ton for him compared to the Wilson deal. But I heard that Wilson refused to come to DC. Who can blame him. Snyder sucks and careers come to die here. But they get paid. 

Former eagle too so yuck. Commanders love making their fans want to hate rooting for this team

57 minutes ago, H2O said:

Wentz only does well when he has a good team around him. Colts have good weapons. The eagles had good weapons. Until they didn’t and then he sucked. 

He’s hurt a lot too. So not sure when the last time he played a full 16 game season. To echo mappy, I like Heinicke. His arm isn’t the best but he plays with energy which gets others hyped up. 

And why were the Colts so willing to get rid of him?  Reich is the one coach that likes Wentz. The WTFs(yeah I have to keep calling them that) didn’t give up a ton for him compared to the Wilson deal. But I heard that Wilson refused to come to DC. Who can blame him. Snyder sucks and careers come to die here. But they get paid. 

Former eagle too so yuck. Commanders love making their fans want to hate rooting for this team

Reich was probably his only supporter. Irsay likely demanded a change after the debacle at the end of the season, and the GM probably agreed. Wentz is probably right in the middle of the pack of starting QBs as of today if you do the team by team analysis. He is a slightly different version of Kirk Cousins.

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

She did say y’all can get what you hope for. I’m on her side with this. Gimme nice warm spring weather

nah, he's right. I dont want snow and shouldn't be debbing in that thread with others who want snow. I hate it when its done by others during the height of winter, I shouldn't do it to those who want to see snow.

But I really do hope those who want snow get what they are hoping for. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

nah, he's right. I dont want snow and shouldn't be debbing in that thread with others who want snow. I hate it when its done by others during the height of winter, I shouldn't do it to those who want to see snow.

But I really do hope those who want snow get what they are hoping for. 

That's no problem, I get your just wanting spring to get here and stay.  Honestly, I'm fine with that myself, after this blast of winter tomorrow.  And like I said in the other thread, TULIPS!  LOL!  Besides, I'd rather read your "don't want snow" comments in a thread that's looking for snow, than Ji's drive-by bombs of incessant childish whining!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

That's no problem, I get your just wanting spring to get here and stay.  Honestly, I'm fine with that myself, after this blast of winter tomorrow.  And like I said in the other thread, TULIPS!  LOL!  Besides, I'd rather read your "don't want snow" comments in a thread that's looking for snow, than Ji's drive-by bombs of incessant childish whining!

I appreciates you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Let’s hope it works out and the Hokies make it to the ACC title game Saturday night!

UVA utterly collapsed. What a tease it was when this team beat and then held close with Duke. 

Best of luck to the Hokies, I really don't hate ya'll unless you are playing us. Need more Virginia representation in March Madness this year anyway.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic