Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2022

George BM

SPC risk days in Washington, DC 2022:

SLGT+ Days: 22 (One of these days featured a macroburst with max winds est. 125mph through the Rockville area)

ENH+ Days: 8 (One of these days brought an 81mph wind gust to DCA)

MDT+ Days: 3 (one flop, one overperformer with tornadoes (strongest being an EF-3 w/ 165mph))

HIGH Days: 1 (over performer with significant winds comparable to the Cedar Rapids Derecho of 2020)

• mappy pinned this topic

First day of Met Spring, but yes it can still snow. I am kinda over it, but I wont complain if we get something like March 2018. Otherwise January was 'the month' of winter, as it should be, and it delivered at least for eastern areas. I will reserve an overall grade for another couple weeks, but December gets a D and January a solid A. Each winter month has to be weighted, and December is more of a Fall month in these parts and usually does not produce significant snowfall. February is easily an F, with less than an inch of frozen here, after nearly 20" in January.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

First day of Met Spring, but yes it can still snow. I am kinda over it, but I wont complain if we get something like March 2018. Otherwise January was 'the month' of winter, as it should be, and it delivered at least for eastern areas. I will reserve an overall grade for another couple weeks, but December gets a D and January a solid A. Each winter month has to be weighted, and December is more of a Fall month in these parts and usually does not produce significant snowfall. February is easily an F, with less than an inch of frozen here, after nearly 20" in January.

I give my first winter in Carroll County an F lol. Pretty lame with maybe 10" for the season. Yes winter isn't over N&W but who cares about snow that melts the same day. Give me cold and wintery or bring on spring.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I give my first winter in Carroll County an F lol. Pretty lame with maybe 10" for the season. Yes winter isn't over N&W but who cares about snow that melts the same day. Give me cold and wintery or bring on spring.

Yeah any cold or snow going forward is going to be more fleeting than usual. Got lucky here to have the storms aligned with the cold and during early/mid winter when the snow can stick around awhile.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dailylurker said:

Yeah, it was crappy. But not the worst we’ve had since I’ve moved north. At least we got double digits 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Not yet :popcorn:. Still 3-4 weeks of potential :snowing:

Screenshot_20220301-064231_Chrome.jpg.edd7333b5429f9ccc305585bec0822f3.jpg

When/where is that?

That reminds me of 01/23/16 here!

I did not even have to use the (snowblower) ONCE this winter.  ONCE!  Last winter I used it at least four times.
I did run the salt spreader down the lane to prevent the clueless Amazon drivers from turning their vans into dangerous snowmobiles, however.

@NorthArlington101 and other people who have had to either were/are swimmers or support people who swim

Got a new speed suit for the upcoming championship meets yesterday, it's the Venzo from TYR, is supposed to be a pretty good suit. Have a relay this weekend before the district meet for my club team the weekend after this one. I subbed into the relay this weekend because the backstroker couldn't make it and the relay is 0.4 away from nationals for YMCA. Pretty excited for both upcoming meets, gonna wear my old speed suit from summer and high school season this weekend and the new one for districts. In districts I am swimming all free events below and at 200 yards and 100 + 200 breaststroke along with 100 backstroke. Should get to finals in my events as well but need to drop a significant amount of time to get to nationals in an individual event. The relays at districts are going to be up in the air depending on my 50 backstroke split and event this weekend and the 200 free relay is also close to getting to nationals which I will be on this weekend but is left up to my 50 free at districts. Any ideas with how to deal with the nervousness before swimming so you can lower your heart rate before you get in the water? I also have to work on not forgetting my good form when I swim. I Also think I forgot to update any one who cared about my high school swim adventure, managed to get to regionals in both my events by dropping a good bit of time in districts before cutting my foot decently bad the night before (not stitches but close). Had to swim with a bunch of tape on my foot but still dropped .03 in 30 free to get a 23.1 but added a bit in my hundred free. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnowenOutThere said:

@NorthArlington101 and other people who have had to either were/are swimmers or support people who swim

Got a new speed suit for the upcoming championship meets yesterday, it's the Venzo from TYR, is supposed to be a pretty good suit. Have a relay this weekend before the district meet for my club team the weekend after this one. I subbed into the relay this weekend because the backstroker couldn't make it and the relay is 0.4 away from nationals for YMCA. Pretty excited for both upcoming meets, gonna wear my old speed suit from summer and high school season this weekend and the new one for districts. In districts I am swimming all free events below and at 200 yards and 100 + 200 breaststroke along with 100 backstroke. Should get to finals in my events as well but need to drop a significant amount of time to get to nationals in an individual event. The relays at districts are going to be up in the air depending on my 50 backstroke split and event this weekend and the 200 free relay is also close to getting to nationals which I will be on this weekend but is left up to my 50 free at districts. Any ideas with how to deal with the nervousness before swimming so you can lower your heart rate before you get in the water? I also have to work on not forgetting my good form when I swim. I Also think I forgot to update any one who cared about my high school swim adventure, managed to get to regionals in both my events by dropping a good bit of time in districts before cutting my foot decently bad the night before (not stitches but close). Had to swim with a bunch of tape on my foot but still dropped .03 in 30 free to get a 23.1 but added a bit in my hundred free. 

Congrats on the great swimming! I wouldn't worry too much about nationals in your first year -- I considered myself lucky to make that meet by my senior year of high school!

On the nerves front, I think developing a routine is pretty important. Whether that is walking up listening to music, doing the crazy slap thing, doing the same stretches behind the block, routinizing the swim and making yourself think it's like any other race might be helpful. Watching Torri Huske swim when I swam with her, she did the same thing every time, she was in her zone, doing her things. I definitely got nervous before big swims (especially when my time to get a nats cut was running out) but one of the things I loved about swimming was you pretty much just hop in the water and push yourself as hard as possible (with some race strategy). Not too much to stress over -- you should hop in, black out, swim hard, and see what the result is.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 87storms said:

Got a 2 bagger in wordle today. I feel like I could retire after that. Fun word too.

lol took me 6 guesses. Had the first 4 letters for two guesses but kept missing the last damn letter 

38 minutes ago, mappy said:

lol took me 6 guesses. Had the first 4 letters for two guesses but kept missing the last damn letter 

haha yesterday's got me.  i ended up getting it in 4 i think, but it took a while.  couldn't figure out what it could possibly be until the light bulb went on.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic