Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

59 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Totally agree there!

Breeze is one thing, but wind is another!

23 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

It is really funny.  This is one of the least windy places in the country.

The problem here, however, is that the trees aren't accustomed to a constant wind, so they are more susceptible to significant wind events.

You guys need to come out here in the winter and listen to the roar through the trees. It’s nothing to downplay.

I have no idea what it is like down there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You guys need to come out here in the winter and listen to the roar through the trees. It’s nothing to downplay.

We do hear it roar through the trees. It's cool.  I like the wind, hate cleaning up after it.  We get just the perfect amount when it blows, just wish that was more often.

53 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The problem here, however, is that the trees aren't accustomed to a constant wind, so they are more susceptible to significant wind events.

CWG literally just wrote an article talking about how D.C has become more windy recently. We are wind town now!!

4 hours ago, dallen7908 said:

If you think we do wind well here you haven't been around much

Ok Mr. Literal lol.

It's relative. WE aren't very hot either compared to other places.

It's more a running joke around here. Heat and wind. Severe sucks. Snow climo sucks. Tropical sucks.

That said, there really is no WE in this region. The coastal areas and the western areas at elevation get more wind than other parts of the MA. There is more wind here than I would like. Living in the the middle of the woods I probably have a different perspective.

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think there is a seasonal dependence to the wind around here.  We can and do get wind from Oct-Apr, but it is doldrums in the Summer.  That's not the case elsewhere in the country.

Wind Resource Maps and Data | Geospatial Data Science | NREL

wtk-40m-2017-01.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

I think there is a seasonal dependence to the wind around here.  We can and do get wind from Oct-Apr, but it is doldrums in the Summer.  That's not the case elsewhere in the country.

Wind Resource Maps and Data | Geospatial Data Science | NREL

wtk-40m-2017-01.jpg

That I agree with. Plenty of times in the summer when I’d pay money for wind

Frying Pan Tower does wind well. ;)

Those lazy summer days, yes kind of a drag but it seems like we are stuck in these awful humid patterns with southerly breezes.  Gone are the triple digit heatwaves broken by squall lines.  I don't like "big heat" but prolonged 70-80 dews is getting annoying.

We had a nice "swarm" of peepers the other day and these chilly temps have them running for cover.

By mid May the Gray Tree frogs come out.  Those are relaxing to listen to on wet late spring evenings after a round of thundershowers. 

The next couple weeks on the 18z look disgusting for spring weather.

I'm up for Snow anytime but 40s and clouds/rain suck in April.

I will say there does seem to be a shot at potentially some wintry weather next week.

Probably wouldn't amount to anything but some areas could see something wintry falling from the sky. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

My main issue is that it's windy when we don't want it to be and it's not windy when we want it to be. Definitely skews the perception.

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

My main issue is that it's windy when we don't want it to be and it's not windy when we want it to be. Definitely skews the perception.

it's been kind of annoyingly breezy during the nicer days we've had.  i'm still trying to figure out if it's a frederick, east side of the catoctin's thing, or it's just been that way (some of those la nina years like 2013-15 had that consistent breeze situation going on).

in other news, i've had to step in as a scrum master (which I think you said you do) and ran my first sprint planning yesterday.  that was tricky given that i had about a week and a half to transition/learn what i'm doing to run it properly.

Also, i can honestly say i don't need snow at this point.  if it happens, cool, but those 60 degree days were pretty amazing.