Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Warm-season crops like tomatoes and peppers can't be planted before the end of April, if even that early. You're just asking for all your hard work to go down the drain if an even relatively benign cold snap hits in the middle of the month. Other things like broccoli, lettuce, and peas are colder-weather crops and can easily handle an early-season frost / freeze or two.

Yeah that’s pretty much it. Things like corn, beans etc here will get planted around the first of May. Tomatoes etc, May 10 is the date usually. 

KOKV has had 2 years in the past 5 with a freezing temp as late as May 9-10. In 4 of the last 5, it has had mid 30’s in and around the 15th with at least one as late as the 17th. Mid 30’s at KOKV is a guaranteed freezing temp in the higher valleys north and west of town.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Seasonal depression will kick in that week for me.  

I'll just stick my head in the sand and look ahead to brighter times :)

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_62.png

As long as it isn't cold/wet/dreary, it won't be that bad. It won't last that long, and if we get partly sunny days it will just feel like nice Fall weather. The cold mornings with frost might be a bit of a pain, but it's too early to start growing most plants/veggies anyway. Knowing what's to come just down the road, I am good with a few days in the upper 40s to low 50s. With sun, it probably won't be any colder than that.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, CAPE said:

As long as it isn't cold/wet/dreary, it won't be that bad. It won't last that long, and if we get partly sunny days it will just feel like nice Fall weather. The cold mornings with frost might be a bit of a pain, but it's too early to start growing most plants/veggies anyway. Knowing what's to come just down the road, I am good with a few days in the upper 40s to low 50s. With sun, it probably won't be any colder than that.

What I think is fascinating is that it's almost April already....September will be here before we know it and the talk of another winter will be upon us. The world is spinning awfully fast these days

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

What I think is fascinating is that it's almost April already....September will be here before we know it and the talk of another winter will be upon us. The world is spinning awfully fast these days

Seems to be a function of hitting an age where a lot of your life is in the past and not as much in the future. The endless hot, humid summer will slow things down some.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Seems to be a function of hitting an age where a lot of your life is in the past and not as much in the future. The endless hot, humid summer will slow things down some.

To quote Kate Hepburn in On Golden Pond.....we are just middle aged.....to quote Henry Fonda's response....we don't live to be 150 years old Ethel we aren't middle aged damnit! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

But what about wind? If it's windy then it'll be really f'ing annoying.

What I find funny is that in September and October we're ALL rooting for this because of the hope that it springs for the winter to follow (and because it just feels damn nice after the summer heat), but come late March/April, most of us are just wanting this kind of weather to F right off.

Yes whenever it's windy here from mid-November through early April, the answer to the question: "Snow storm in (interior) Maine?" is usually yes

I usually root for a warm October - it seems to be  correlated with a cold/chances-for-snow winter.  Of course, I'm sure the correlation if it exists is 0.1 or so. 

It'd be kind of cool to watch opening day in a flizzard - but other than that I'm ready to move on too. 

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

But what about wind? If it's windy then it'll be really f'ing annoying.

What I find funny is that in September and October we're ALL rooting for this because of the hope that it springs for the winter to follow (and because it just feels damn nice after the summer heat), but come late March/April, most of us are just wanting this kind of weather to F right off.

We do wind almost as proficiently as heat. Both are annoying after 5 mins.