Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh/Western PA Spring 2022 Discussion Thread

Ahoff

14 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Why not tie the all time May record?

Might be a stretch, but daily records are 92-93 in that timeframe. We’ve set daily record lows on 11 different May days since the last time we set a daily record high in May.

37 minutes ago, TimB said:

Might be a stretch, but daily records are 92-93 in that timeframe. We’ve set daily record lows on 11 different May days since the last time we set a daily record high in May.

Yeah, it will be a stretch for sure.  Probably unlikely, but upper 80s that time of year are definitely possible.  We'll see.

4 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Is 90 possible at the end of the week?  Weather Channel seems to think both Friday and Saturday have a shot.

NWS is slowly converging on that solution as well. My point and click are now 89/88 for Fri/Sat. Records for both days are 92 and might not be completely safe. 

• Like 1

If it reaches 90 or better tomorrow or Saturday, it would be the fifth earliest year to reach 90+ since records have been kept at KPIT (i.e., dating back to 1953 - records moved to KPIT in September 1952 when the airport opened). Note: Not necessarily fifth earliest reading, since some of the 4 years with earlier 90+ readings may have had more than one such reading (in fact, I know that's the case for 1962).

Should it reach 91 or better, that would be the second earliest such reading. All of the other early 90 degree readings at KPIT were exactly 90 degrees. The only earlier 91+ reading at KPIT was May 18, 1962.

Now, in the off chance it were to reach 92 or better, that would be the first time it's ever been that hot anytime in the month of May at the airport site. Currently, the hottest May reading at KPIT is 91, which was reached once in 1962, 1987, 2011, 2012 and 2018.

On 5/18/2022 at 10:19 AM, Ahoff said:

The Weather Channel likes the chance of records falling this weekend.

Capture.PNG.a403152487c664b1723f8ca61f36336e.PNG

Well, the app shows 92 and 94 for downtown Pittsburgh, but only 88 and 91 at Moon Township. Both of which would fall shy of the records of 93 and 92 from the old Weather Bureau office.

13 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Well, the app shows 92 and 94 for downtown Pittsburgh, but only 88 and 91 at Moon Township. Both of which would fall shy of the records of 93 and 92 from the old Weather Bureau office.

Yeah, they've stepped back a little which is understandable.  Yesterday there was a period where the airport was forecast at 92 and 93.

3 hours ago, north pgh said:

For Thunderstorm lovers it looks like a decent chance of some elevated storms moving in after 2:00 am overnight. My favorite kind. Usually no severe but some decent lightning. Maybe if we get them it will help raise temps tomorrow over 90.

What is an elevated thunderstorm?  Don’t think I’ve ever heard that term before?  Why would it get temperatures warmer?

2 hours ago, Ahoff said:

What is an elevated thunderstorm?  Don’t think I’ve ever heard that term before?  Why would it get temperatures warmer?

Usually in the cold sector ahead of a warm front, vs. a surface based warm sector storm that would bring damaging winds/tornadoes down to the surface more readily. Not sure about the getting temperatures warmer part - would it help pull the warm front through?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ahoff said:

I just know from my history of storms that when I see elevated thunderstorms in forecast discussions they are usually ahead of warm fronts moving from the southwest to northeast. Most times they seem to come overnight. I like them because they usually are not severe but can have a lot of lightning. I always enjoyed the overnight storm with the rain and the lightning. 

I don't know if it has anything to do with making it warmer. What I meant was that knowing the storms were coming ahead of the front and storms in the morning we can sometimes clear out in the afternoon and the temp will rise fast mainly from the front itself. 

Just an observation on my part. I am not a met. Just going from experience. 

https://www.weather.gov/source/zhu/ZHU_Training_Page/thunderstorm_stuff/elevated_convection/elevated_convection.html

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, low 80s will be tough at this point.  How could they (the models, mets) have missed this entire system at such a short range?

It seems the exact track and timing of these MCVs is always difficult to nail down too far in advance. I don’t even think this system existed 36 hours ago.

23 minutes ago, TimB said:

It seems the exact track and timing of these MCVs is always difficult to nail down too far in advance. I don’t even think this system existed 36 hours ago.

That's so wild.  Very weird system, interesting though.

Looks like it's passed though, so we'll see how temperatures respond.