Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh/Western PA Spring 2022 Discussion Thread

Ahoff

9 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Happy Spring.  Possible 70s next weekend should push some over the edge, lol.

Would say 70 is pretty likely if the forecast stays mid to upper 60s. We always overperform on temps, today was another example - forecast high was 53 or 54, PIT got to 58.

6 hours ago, PghPirates27 said:

Do we typically overperform in the summer too? I’d take that if we had forecasts of 88 and hit 92.

That’s @Ahoff’s area of complaint. We always underperform in the summer and it gets hotter in Syracuse and Burlington than it does here, or something like that.

Just now, PghPirates27 said:

Great so we overperform in the winter with warmth when we want snow, but when it's summer and the heat is good for swimming it doesn't. I am not happy about this lol.

It’s probably all anecdotal, don’t take any of that seriously.

22 minutes ago, PghPirates27 said:

Great so we overperform in the winter with warmth when we want snow, but when it's summer and the heat is good for swimming it doesn't. I am not happy about this lol.

I mean it's not like we get forecasted for 90 and end up at 75.  It's more like forecast 90 or 91 and wind up at 88 or 89, almost every time.  Definitely ends as swimming weather, just rare to go above forecasted highs when they get to the upper 80s and 90s.

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

Just a weird phenomena.

I always figured that was just elevational effects mainly. PIT is at 1201', while SYR is 420' and BTV at 330'. There's usually not nearly as much of a north-south gradient in the summertime - in fact, many times with a big summertime ridge, there's warmer air aloft spreading in from Canada than there is further south. The moist adiabatic lapse rate is 3.5F per 1000 feet and dry adiabatic lapse rate is 5.4F per 1000 feet, but superadiabatic lapse rates can occur. Plus because of SYR and BTV's location, they get downsloping from most wind directions. PIT would only have downsloping from the east, otherwise generally a mild upslope flow (1200' being one of the higher points, which makes sense because it's an airport - there are a few 1300-1400' spots).

If you look at last year, PIT had 5 90+ days, while SYR had 18 and BTV 14. However, BGM at 1627' only had 2 such days. I imagine if records were still kept downtown at say 800 or 850 feet, there would be more. The hot Syracuse temperatures are always a point of contention with the locals here, but elevation effects alone suggest it should be 4-6 degrees cooler in an atmosphere with adiabatic lapse rates than nearby Binghamton. I would imagine subtle downsloping effects and a more urbanized environment could even enhance those numbers somewhat. Obviously, in the winter, these trends don't hold. Temperature inversions are common, and lapse rates lower even in the absence of a temperature inversion.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2022 at 4:29 PM, TimB said:

Would say 70 is pretty likely if the forecast stays mid to upper 60s. We always overperform on temps, today was another example - forecast high was 53 or 54, PIT got to 58.

Guess what…

First 72 since the last day of our October heatwave (10/15/21).