Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 25th Wintry Mix OBS THREAD

The 4 Seasons

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

what’s that building right there? Is that where you hide the bodies?

LOL In NNE, anything is possible in the winter...until the evidence thaws in the spring.

That is a stone cottage we had built on our land by this great old-timer stone mason.  He can barely walk his knees are so bad, but he is a great guy and fantastic with stone.  All built from on old stone pile at the bottom of a field.  We did this before we were sure we would build a house, so we would have a place to hang out on the land.  It was our whiskey cottage, where we would keep a really good single malt scotch and some nice glasses.

• Like 2

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I’m due. I know. You’ll be curb stomping me soon enough.

I'm sure I am somewhat of an anomaly regionally, but the coast in general has done better. 

I have calculated  my mean snowfall going back to the 50's before, and it was in the low 60s....so this myth about how there is some grande regression coming for this area is just that...unless it comes, anyway, and if it does my long term average will drop precipitously. But my 22 year average is not at all anomalous. 2004-2005 was wiped out by 2011-2012, and 2014-2015 has been wiped out by 2018-2019 through 2021-2022.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm sure I am somewhat of an anomaly regionally, but the coast in general has done better. 

I have calculated  my mean snowfall going back to the 50's before, and it was in the low 60s....so this myth about how there is some grande regression coming for this area is just that...unless it comes, anyway, and if it does my long term average will drop precipitously. But my 22 year average is not at all anomalous. 2004-2005 was wiped out by 2011-2012, and 2014-2015 has been wiped out by 2018-2019 through 2021-2022.

Violently agree . To the point of shaking the Paul Mitchell mousse out of your hair . Regression and luck are one in the same in the world of weather 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

You have done somewhat better than I have past few years, but not like Scott....his area is long over due for a multi year hosing.

But it cannot happen in the current climate regime . And that’s my argument . It’s not luck that E CT to S Wey to the north shore all have 50-60” in 55 days this winter . It’s science 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

But it cannot happen in the current climate regime . And that’s my argument . It’s not luck that E CT to S Wey to the north shore all have 50-60” in 55 days this winter . It’s science 

why would it shift east, and not north? I feel like you're applying the cc argument incorrectly here. it's probably just more luck

4 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

why would it shift east, and not north? I feel like you're applying the cc argument incorrectly here. it's probably just more luck

It shifted east in the grand scheme . Your location does well but proximity to ocean and natural oceanic influence limits how well you do in relation to areas in general proximity to you where the ocean doesn’t hinder them as much as it does you . But you still avg above normal .. it’s all relative 

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It shifted east in the grand scheme . Your location does well but proximity to ocean and natural oceanic influence limits how well you do in relation to areas in general proximity to you where the ocean doesn’t hinder them as much as it does you . But you still avg above normal .. it’s all relative 

This sounds like something I theorized to Will and Scott....warming unducing climate change which benefits the coast in terms of snowfall, and porks just inland, from my area down the 495 belt due to more exhaust/subsidence. They weren't buying it, but if this keeps up for another few years, then we're almost forced to consider it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Unrelated...how did your area down on the Cape fair across the afternoon / evening?

Radar look decent enough throughout the day, but I’ve been up chasing the snow on some skis!

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This sounds like something I theorized to Will and Scott....warming unducing climate change which benefits the coast in terms of snowfall, and porks just inland, from my area down the 495 belt due to more exhaust/subsidence. They weren't buying it, but if this keeps up for another few years, then we're almost forced to consider it.

Scientific and sales  minds think alike .. and he can’t blame you for being under the influence 

2 minutes ago, CCHurricane said:

Unrelated...how did your area down on the Cape fair across the afternoon / evening?

Radar look decent enough throughout the day, but I’ve been up chasing the snow on some skis!

just a coating this evening (maybe .2") after it changed back to snow. the morning was basically a 5 hour sleet fest with periods of pixie dust mixed in before it changed to Rain around 1130. Total around 3"

• Like 1

Would the shift east in snowfall as you've been discussing be related to warming, not just the AGW type but natural variability from the 1961-90 average to 1991-2020, upstream at Toronto I have that calculated to be around 1.5 F deg almost none of which would be urban heat island and only a fraction AGW (but even if all AGW, same argument) -- with less intense cold draining out of eastern Canada, cold air damming over southern New England in today's type of storm would be less robust on average. Of course there could be specific exceptions. Can somebody give me one or two good examples of heavier snowfalls in CT from similar coastal transfer type synoptics? I could have a look at what was happening upstream in those cases. If you wanted an even larger scale explanation, the temperature changes for Toronto probably reflect changes in the Pacific anomalies.