• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 25th Wintry Mix OBS THREAD

The 4 Seasons

We've been snowing steadily for the last hour here in Ayer with exquisite champagne aggregates... small and mid sizes, dancing around one another.  The visibility ... perhaps 1/2 mi, perhaps another 1/2" has accumulated since the main thrust of the event ended three or so hours ago.   6.5" now

5 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

i hear that, thanks for the report. do you have an exact measurement you're going with for Winsted?

yeah I'm submitting in between that, 4.75 sn/ip/zr mix

still have yet to get above 6" in an event this season, I think I can't remember what I got in the "blizzard"

• Haha 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I may crack 10" if this can keep up for a few hours. Already over 8".

Shawn in Lexington reported like 8” I think at 10am or so . Some of the rates around 630 when I got up were very heavy as you know . Either way what ever the totals end up being this was a nice storm 

Will what would you guess this area has or better yet what do you have for the season . We got about 18 or so in The big one,  7 last week (when 1” was forecast ) just to give you a reference for what this area had in a couple events 

46 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Flipped from plain rain to flakes just in seconds here in Columbia 

20220225_134614.jpg

It wants to pick up and snow but in regards to accumulating snow it isn’t quite pulling it off. Weirdly, winter storm warning is running til 12am Saturday but the forecast itself says “cloudy”

Perhaps tug of war with computerized signaling or account of poor road conditions expected 

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Shawn in Lexington reported like 8” I think at 10am or so . Some of the rates around 630 when I got up were very heavy as you know . Either way what ever the totals end up being this was a nice storm 

Will what would you guess this area has or better yet what do you have for the season . We got about 18 or so in The big one,  7 last week (when 1” was forecast ) just to give you a reference for what this area had in a couple events 

What did you have in the 1/7 storm? I probably have a but more than you because of that one storm. I had like a 10-11" of fluff in that one.

3 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

We've been having some fairly steady moderate snow, but now we're getting some decent flakes with it.  A little over 10" at this point.  Heading out to clear the drive.....needing my afternoon dunkin' donuts coffee.

This should be the new standardized metric for determining storm significance/ impact scaling.   

In order for a storm to be significant, this ( bold ) cannot take place.

1 minute ago, BostonWX said:

Borderline heavy snow, cf coming through here now 32.3

Models did bad with the CF....never got here even though most of them pushed it like 10 miles west of me. Swinging back east faster too than most guidance had it. Legit flash freeze potential near the coast where it got to 33-34F for several hours.

7 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

It wants to pick up and snow but in regards to accumulating snow it isn’t quite pulling it off. Weirdly, winter storm warning is running til 12am Saturday but the forecast itself says “cloudy”

Perhaps tug of war with computerized signaling?

No.

Warnings typically have large goal posts because it's easier to cancel early than extend at the end.