Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 25th Wintry Mix OBS THREAD

The 4 Seasons

36 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Curious about the CT valley, my dad in West Hartford says there simple “isn’t much” of anything. I have been asking him “you didn’t get a dense slab of sleet” he’s like “don’t think so, doesn’t look like it”.

What happened over there I wonder. Anybody?

4" here in Enfield before some sleet packed it down.

Travel-wise there appears to be a big difference between this and the equivalent depth of snow. Everyone here already knows that, but I have a view of Rt 32 and there ain’t much traffic on it. And a lot of places in the interior are closed today.

if there is 3 inches of snow it doesn’t stop New England. But this is another matter. It’s much more difficult to negotiate if you just have a regular car 

6 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Agreed. HRRR, FV3, we’re both to cold and snowy. NAM got it mostly right at the end…

Late in the game it said 3 to 4 inches of frozen precip and that is exactly what we got. It was right about the sleet making it’s way further inland, and late in the game the NAM going slightly colder was also right. I knew it was going on be messy travel even in most of southern CT with frozen precip by the time I went to bed and it appears that is what transpired. The other models appear to be right in their prediction of frozen precip occurring pretty far south on the coastal plane 

Though I called out of work because my car did not have the ability to travel in two to three inches of pure sleet, and due to nearly impossible long distance travel, they are extremely slow today because nobody else wants to be out either. And they are on the south coast.

Whatever precip is left, it appears it is changing back to snow here now. Flakes falling now.

As much shit as I gave the NAM, it was pretty good especially close in. Too amped with the warm layer a couple days ago, but the other models were too far south with it. Big bust for my big 3 and my forecast, the mid level warmth was more aggressive than I thought it would be. Rays final call looks like it’s going to verify fairly well.

Just now, George001 said:

As much shit as I gave the NAM, it was pretty good especially close in. Too amped with the warm layer a couple days ago, but the other models were too far south with it. 

NAM was awful beyond 36 hours (I think it had a couple runs punching so much sleet north that it gave Ray like 3-4"), but it was pretty good once we got down to like the final 3 or 4 runs. It was a little too warm in MA but overall it was much better down in CT/RI/SE MA than other guidance.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Seems like the sleet never made it past the pike save for a brief time when the mid-level dryslot hit.

These echoes filling back in are all snow.

IDK if you'd consider Cambridge meaningfully north of the pike, but we're having pingers now, I believe (we definitely were an hour ago)