• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 24-25th Snowstorm- Observation Thread

6 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Did anybody see any reports for freezing rain in the Southern Tier? I checked but couldn't find any. It seems like this was more of a thump of sleet for many and then it either transitioned to rain (in PA) or snow (in NY).

You can match up QPF vs snow here. It was below freezing so all/most this precip is sleet/fza. Obviously quite a bit more fell after these reports

2022&cp=0

2022&cp=0

2022&cp=0

2022&cp=0

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Did anybody see any reports for freezing rain in the Southern Tier? I checked but couldn't find any. It seems like this was more of a thump of sleet for many and then it either transitioned to rain (in PA) or snow (in NY).

We definitely got a glaze here (few hundredths). The top of the snow/sleet mix had a nice crusty topping to it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BGM Blizzard said:

We definitely got a glaze here (few hundredths). The top of the snow/sleet mix had a nice crusty topping to it. 

Thanks. It seems like you guys alternated back and forth between sleet and snow the entire event, with that FR mixed in this morning. It would be interesting research to break down our snow totals in Upstate NY this winter into how much was sleet vs. snow.  I should have kept track for here.

• Like 1

Congrats, Rochester guys. My guess is you did slightly better than the Syracuse area. Probably 5 to 7 inches across Onondaga County. Local Mets did well with being cautious.

I doubt anyone got near the top of the forecast range, as the system was moving extremely fast...and there was the dry slot and/or mixing for some.

Perhaps in March we can get a powerful coastal storm if the pattern allows. I think we have a better chance this year than some recent past seasons.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, rochesterdave said:

This was pretty close to a bust for a majority of the region. Not our best….

This was a big bust everywhere west of you. All models did poorly on this one, especially over the Great Lakes. Way too much moisture, hundreds of miles off on the northern extent of snow, sleet line was well north, dry slot was off...

Buffalo got screwed on this one, which is why you're not seeing the usual posters here lol. 2" here in Amherst, south of here where most posters are got less than that.

• Like 1

Awesome day in the ADKs today in the Lake Placid/Keene area. 12-16” of fluff fell, highest amounts obviously the higher you went in elevation.  About 14” at my location above Keene. Did a bit of hiking along the Ausable River in Wilmington, lots of driving around backroads between Jay and Lake Placid.  Super fun plowing through the powder with snow pouring down. Didn’t look like a great event here until about 11am when cloud deck lowered, flake size exploded, and we averaged a couple inches an hour for several hours. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e3ac56f80b8eb650579cfff9e7a27d7e.jpeg

• Like 5

Just now, rochesterdave said:

My snowboard, which was wiped clean, has just over 7” for the event. If I’d kept up with it I suspect I’d be at 8 or 9. Lucky again. What a winter :)

We definitely have 8-9 easy. Just slowed down to flurries, but was pretty heavy for the last 4 hrs. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Getting some bonus stuff now. About an inch in the last hour. We always get rescued on the backside with these NW winds. Love it. Fluffy love parachutes raining down! 

Same here, with big fluffers coming down. Looks like some nice action forming over the '22 Niagara snow belt and moving east.

image.thumb.png.b4b1157edcb87d585c79bfb514f54f00.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, vortmax said:

We definitely have 8-9 easy. Just slowed down to flurries, but was pretty heavy for the last 4 hrs. 

Dude, these last 2 months have just been awesome up here on the lake shore. Old fashioned winter! Maybe 2-3 days without FULL snow cover. We have these monolithic glaciers in peoples yards. These wavy glazed drifts that you can walk on. Things definitely turned following that horrible December. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Ice blocks along the Ausable River are amazing. Some are over 6 feet tall and plowed over trees along their journey. 

image.thumb.jpeg.77d45f96aee02d36c9dbf39c3e71bfc5.jpeg

That's an impossibly beautiful location around there.  It's one of my favorite places to visit, and I'm blessed it's such a short drive from home.  About 8" total at home here.  We still have a long way to go to salvage the season here in ENY, but this was nice.  Gusty winds this evening, with blowing and drifting snow.  The night has a nice, deep winter feel to it tonight.

• Like 4

My town got called out on the AFD...famous! Lol

Inversions are low
at less than 4kft, but sharper sfc convergence between Oswego
and Monroe county has supported concentrated snow showers for
areas southeast of Lake Ontario, centered on Wayne county,
where local accums of 1-3 inches may accumulate through the
night. NYS Mesonet site in Ontario (northwest Wayne county) and
the KSDC METAR site in Wayne County along with the BUF radar
lower few angles suggest a stronger convergence band in that
vcnty.
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

2.1" storm total for me here for this event. 1" overnight of ice/sleet/snow and then 1.1" of fluff yesterday. 

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&product=PNS&issuedby=BUF

Ouch! Wow. That was ugly. 9” in Irondequoit. Just kissed warning amounts. I’m betting there’ll be a lot less in Pittsford when I head down later today.