• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2022 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

I woke up to a nice surprise of sunny skies and a temp far above what was predicted for 8am, 12C! Finally a forecast that busted far too low. Strangely the stations are all showing overcast curr obs. At one point I was expected to have 86 km/h gusts - so far there are a few strong breezes here and there but nothing much sustained :)

4 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Scene here at my house earlier today as the system departed and before the lake effect kicked in.  Moderate to at times heavy snow falling now with a temp of 25 degrees.  

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.eb703d39b5b88ac5d3927c4f90e72904.jpg

I did mention to you that you may get a foot from this system before it's all set & done

10 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Only 0.13" here last night too.  lol

We did get some serious winds mixed down this morning between 5 and 6 AM with several gusts measuring between 55-65 MPH across northeast Indiana.  I have to go survey a couple of damage reports, one destroying an attached garage.

Ended up with 0.70" total as the deformation precip exploded overhead last night.  Also picked up 0.3" of wet snow, which was enough to bump us over the 19" mark for the season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Ended up with 0.70" total as the deformation precip exploded overhead last night.  Also picked up 0.3" of wet snow, which was enough to bump us over the 19" mark for the season.

Do you want to get to 20" at this point?  I don't think I would if I were you, unless it's a big memorable storm.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Do you want to get to 20" at this point?  I don't think I would if I were you, unless it's a big memorable storm.

Yeah I'm ready for spring, so under 20" is fine with me.  Both DVN and MLI breached the 20" mark, as they did better than here with that bizarre north to south clipper back in January or February.

13 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Only 0.13" here last night too.  lol

We did get some serious winds mixed down this morning between 5 and 6 AM with several gusts measuring between 55-65 MPH across northeast Indiana.  I have to go survey a couple of damage reports, one destroying an attached garage.

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

We are getting some light rain this evening and is trying to flip to snow, but we'll see no where near 0.70". Also, this happened a few blocks from my house at 5 AM this morning.

IMG_1933.jpeg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah I'm ready for spring, so under 20" is fine with me.  Both DVN and MLI breached the 20" mark, as they did better than here with that bizarre north to south clipper back in January or February.

Have you ever had a sub 20 Winter before? For me it would be a psychological thing lol. Crack 20" anyway you can. I've had a few low-mid twenties winters in my life but Detroit has not seen a sub 20" Winter since 1968-69.

37 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Have you ever had a sub 20 Winter before? For me it would be a psychological thing lol. Crack 20" anyway you can. I've had a few low-mid twenties winters in my life but Detroit has not seen a sub 20" Winter since 1968-69.

For this area (I assume cyclone's area is similar) <15" winters are rare, but 15-25" is pretty typical in bad winters.  Over the last fifteen years, my worst winters are 21", 20", and 17".  I was fortunate to get 26" this winter.

2 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

For this area (I assume cyclone's area is similar) <15" winters are rare, but 15-25" is pretty typical in bad winters.  Over the last fifteen years, my worst winters are 21", 20", and 17".  I was fortunate to get 26" this winter.

our floor in the past 30 years has been around 30".   Shows how much of a gradient there is between our latitudes

On 4/1/2022 at 7:25 AM, michsnowfreak said:

Yeah 11/12 and 15/16 both failed to reach 20".  We've had some pretty terrible winters the past decade, but a few have been great.  I feel we really paid our dues this winter and mother nature owes us big time next season lol.  I'm sure that's how that works, right? B)

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 9:05 AM, hawkeye_wx said:

On 4/2/2022 at 8:52 AM, cyclone77 said:

Yeah 11/12 and 15/16 both failed to reach 20".  We've had some pretty terrible winters the past decade, but a few have been great.  I feel we really paid our dues this winter and mother nature owes us big time next season lol.  I'm sure that's how that works, right? B)

I have seen a few low to mid 20s winters in my lifetime but nothing lower. The Winter that my mom was pregnant with me, 1982-83, DTW finished with 20" on the dot, over half of which fell in Spring. Would have been a historically horrendous Winter had it not been for a few Spring snows. 

And honestly, though you were joking, I know very well that things with weather even themselves out over time. Does it mean you will have a record snowy Winter next year? Absolutely not. But your average is your average for a reason, so I'm sure better times lie ahead for you.