Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2022 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

53 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Why not? It was the freeze in April that caused the damage. It brings an interesting point up whether its possible to have Morch and then a April/May that are also above normal or even avg in temps - I asked a met this and the answer was simply no. You can predict a monthly avg just based on the magnitude departure of a month before it?

Yesterday did actually reach 18C but it was mostly filtered sunlight and then cloudy by evening. Waterloo ON got to 19C, Windsor and likely other towns in extreme SON got their first 20. Its very dark this morning.

There could be an above normal April and still have hard freezes so another March 2012 would pretty much doom the plants/trees again. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

Why not? It was the freeze in April that caused the damage. It brings an interesting point up whether its possible to have Morch and then a April/May that are also above normal or even avg in temps - I asked a met this and the answer was simply no. You can predict a monthly avg just based on the magnitude departure of a month before it?

Yesterday did actually reach 18C but it was mostly filtered sunlight and then cloudy by evening. Waterloo ON got to 19C, Windsor and likely other towns in extreme SON got their first 20. Its very dark this morning.

If I remember correctly, March and May were both above normal in 2010 & 2012.

But yeah, April was normal to coolish both times.

I wasn't aware that hard freezes happen every April, I just assumed above avg or record warm Aprils wouldn't. I'll also check Mar 2010 again because I don't remember it being above avg perception wise.

Today was an even bigger bust than yesterday, I made it to 7C (briefly) and point was set to 13C, then 11C. Dumpster-tier day.

16 hours ago, Torchageddon said:

I wasn't aware that hard freezes happen every April, I just assumed above avg or record warm Aprils wouldn't. I'll also check Mar 2010 again because I don't remember it being above avg perception wise.

Today was an even bigger bust than yesterday, I made it to 7C (briefly) and point was set to 13C, then 11C. Dumpster-tier day.

I was only referring to MI btw. Not sure about other states but in the northern locations i would assume its the same. In 148 years of record, there has only been 1 April at Detroit without a freeze, and the min temp that April was 33. Areas around here where fruit is grown are in areas that radiate much better than DTW, so by that I assume hard freezes are seen every April.

• Thanks 1

0.81" of rain so far for this event. Might be able to add another hundredth or two but I am going to call it a night. The good news is that for the first time in a long time the backside precipitation was all rain. Just in time for the Equinox tomorrow. Happy Spring everyone!

Raining with some snow starting to mix in now. A little ice on my ramp this morning. Winds are not bad today, up to 25-30 mph. Should turn to all snow later on today with 3-6" of slush by tomorrow. Temps are right at freezing at the moment, and will hover there until later in the night. Tis March :)

EDIT: Starting to freeze on the roads with a little snow. Still mixed stuff, but getting icy out there.

Update: All wet, heavy snow now at 4:30 pm. Starting to collect on the roads as sun angle is lower now.

"IF THERE ARE SOME BREAKS IN THE CLOUDINESS AND HEATING  
STEEPENING UP THE LOW LEVEL LAPSE RATES, THEN PERHAPS THERE COULD  
BE A CHANCE FUNNEL CLOUDS OR A WEAK LANDSPOUT, BUT OVERALL THE  
SEVERE THREAT IN OUR CWA LOOKS QUITE LOW.   "- never go full IZZI.

today's LOT AFD

• Like 1