• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2022 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

Made it to 33 today with full sun conditions and strong sw winds.  First time above freezing at my place since Christmas eve.  Dews stayed low so no appreciative melting.  Back into the freezer for several days.  Not liking the quiet pattern, makes me itch for spring more than I normally would if it were active.

On 3/6/2022 at 9:21 AM, WestMichigan said:

Wind seems to be the theme lately. We have had several very windy systems in February and now March. I recorded a 63 MPH gust overnight with only 0.07” of rain. 

The wind was kind of unexpected since most of the lighting and even precip was fading fast as the gust front approached.  I could hear the roar and see the power flashes in the distance as it approached and had to scramble out of bed to bring loose things inside and unplug electronics.  I think it was at least 60 mph.

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

Winters last gasp this weekend? Next week looks mild and dry. 

Yeah the gfs depicts a zonal flow pretty much after this weekend through the end of its run. Fairly seasonable and dry, or to put it more succinctly, zzzzzzzzzz

10 minutes ago, tuanis said:

???

image.thumb.png.0366ea4ca79ed37531216a9ff5a14f1d.png

Yeah, you're right. That was kind of a southern part of the forum/IMBY post.

EDIT: I just quickly checked the ensemble means when I made the post.  However, I also take a deterministic GFS total precip map through 384 with many grains of salt. If they were accurate, I would have been buried in snow from late January through February this winter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

That was kind of a southern part of the forum/IMBY post.

The wetter/active pattern signal is pretty clear. Where that heavier corridor ends up over the coming couple weeks is anyone's guess at this point. Won't take much to put it over YBY.

• Like 1

Looks like -10's to -20's away from the Lake this morning. Very cold March morning. Looks like Sat a.m. is going to be the same, and then more spring like weather on tap. Had enough bitter weather this past winter season, time to move forward now. A nice blizzard would be nice tho. :) 

• Like 2

Single digit lows this morning, and the wind has picked up out of the W up to 40 mph. Chilly day because of that. On sunny days, like today, the snow pack reflecting the sunshine keeps things on the brighter side. And with the longer days, and higher sun angle now, all that light really helps the mood. :)

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Even with temps well below freezing most of the snow melted today.  

Looks very quiet for the next 10 days or so.  

Time to go on daffodil watch with the warmer temps on the way.  They should start knifing through the top soil in the next 10 days.

The same thing happened with the snow here. Also, I just noticed today that some of my tulips leaves are poking up. They should really take off this week.

-10's to -20's away from the Lake again this morning. - single digits along the shore. Very cold start to the day. Near record to possibly some records fell this morning. March low records are rather variable from -10's to -30's for the area. Now spring weather can kick in with some nicer temps. There will still be chilly weather here at times, but the deep negatives should be over. - single digits are still on the table, tho, away from the lake the next couple weeks. By early April, even those become record territory.

For once I'm getting a locked-in LES band that is bringing whiteouts for the entire afternoon thus far. Among the most intense winter wx so late I've seen. Its the exact opposite of a decade ago when I had a severe thunderstorm and 70F temps, today the temp is falling midday to 15F feeling like -4F and heaviest snows of the winter :thumbsdown:.

8 hours ago, Brian D said:

-10's to -20's away from the Lake again this morning. - single digits along the shore. Very cold start to the day. Near record to possibly some records fell this morning. March low records are rather variable from -10's to -30's for the area. Now spring weather can kick in with some nicer temps. There will still be chilly weather here at times, but the deep negatives should be over. - single digits are still on the table, tho, away from the lake the next couple weeks. By early April, even those become record territory.

I thought the low teens here (13 at KIND and 11 at my non-accurate thermometer) was cold but when I looked at the Duluth Canal Cam and saw they were - 8 I felt a little bit better.

• Like 1

Quite a day for a weather enthusiast. Started the day at 14° with wind chills below zero. Then the south wind brought a mini driving fluffy snowstorm complete with drifting and very slick roads. Then once the snow stopped, temps, then up to 23, began a rapid rise, forecast into the mid 40s by late afternoon. 

Today's 1.4" puts me at 42.3" on the season. DTW also had 1.4", putting then at 42.2".   Highest amounts today were around 2" in the southern suburbs.

Screenshot_20220313-143451_Gallery.thumb.jpg.2650b07d05e81278d32d392027822b81.jpg

• Like 2

Had about an inch of snow last night. And my furnace crapped out on me too. Waiting on heating guy to come and fix. The old gal got a good workout this winter. Now needs some TLC. :)  At least it waited until the bitter weather was done. Using my gas stove for heat now, which is the reason for having a gas stove. That, and easier to cook with, too. Temps in the low-mid 30's today, with 15-20 for tomorrow morning. Then on to some 40/30 weather this week with some light mix thrown in there. That'll feel nice.