SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2022 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
440 PM EST SAT MAR 05 2022

...RECORD DAILY HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT INDIANAPOLIS...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH 5TH OF 77 DEGREES WAS SET AT 
INDIANAPOLIS TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 75 SET IN 1956 AND 
TIED IN 1983. WEATHER RECORDS BEGAN IN INDIANAPOLIS IN FEBRUARY 1871.

Officially 3.3” overnight. I was measuring closer to 4”-4.5” imby, there’s a stoat ice/slush layer on the bottom which will no doubt compact. Official snow depth at the airport back to 6”

With the condensed 2” crust glacier that survived the rain yesterday, and this new stuff on top, our snowpack now holds a ton of much needed moisture.

• Like 2

Posted earlier in wrong thread.

.6 inches of freezing rain yesterday and last night with about a 1/4" of accretion in the trees.  The area around the house is frozen standing water on top of packed snow and the snowpack itself has this thick half inch crust of ice on top.  The warmest it reached yesterday was 31 but the morning before was -4 and coming off a stretch of below zero nights... very cold ground temps  This place is frozen up.  Temp has fallen to 23 with misty flurries.  Not cold enough for LE with superior being near its seasonal coldest

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Frog Town said:

0Z Euro has an epic system just 5 days out for much of the sub.  Curious.  

An initial upper wave puts down a swath of snow from NE to northern IA.  Then, another potent upper wave drops down and spins up a new system farther southeast.  Very cold air gets pulled down behind the second system.

image.thumb.png.46830f204ce8aa455d88c88d3d36d09e.png

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Posted earlier in wrong thread.

6 inches of freezing rain yesterday and last night with about a 1/4" of accretion in the trees.  The area around the house is frozen standing water on top of packed snow and the snowpack itself has this thick half inch crust of ice on top.  The warmest it reached yesterday was 31 but the morning before was -4 and coming off a stretch of below zero nights... very cold ground temps  This place is frozen up.  Temp has fallen to 23 with misty flurries.  Not cold enough for LE with superior being near its seasonal coldest

Did you mean .6" of freezing rain?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Not sure if you any of you follow John Dee??  He fell ill a few weeks back and has since stopped posting on his site. Was curious if any knew how he was doing??

He wrote a short journal last night and posted forecast graphics this morning.  He's had more than his share of health problems that's for sure.  I enjoy his snow church videos which hopefully he'll resume soon.

• Like 2

Didn't know if I should put this in banter or in the March thread, but I was noticing how despite the usual ups and downs, crap decembers and and snowy februaries, we are on pace to have a 3rd straight near "average" snow season in terms of total snowfall.

The reason it's notable is because it's actually quite rare to have average snowfall. It's usually either above or below. 

The 1991-2020 average snowfall at Detroit is 45.0". Interesting to note this is the highest the 30 year average has ever been for snowfall, thanks to some banner years, but snowfall has been fairly consistent (low 40s-ish) throughout the climate record with the huge exception of the WTF 1930s to 1960s.

2019-20: 43.7"

2020-21: 44.9"

2021-22: 39.6" thru 3/6

4 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Besides the ice storm, it's been very quiet up here in terms of snowfall since the big snow the last week of Feb. Have only had maybe 3" of snow this month so far.

Peeks of sun this morning illuminating the ice still crackling in the trees. Should see a high in the mid to upper 20's today.  

IMG_4224.thumb.jpg.22c28142852008193a6c0d1b4972faa8.jpg

IMG_4226.thumb.jpg.93ceacef9a5d031c3d6fa95af9b0a391.jpg

glorious. Should melt off by the 4th.

17 minutes ago, Baum said:

glorious. Should melt off by the 4th.

Tried to snowshoe yesterday and it's too deep and dense.  Ten steps and I turned around. It's not artifact snow yet.

The latest I've seen snow otg here is mid-may and that year it was deeper and had more water content than the current snowpack does.  If it's a cold spring it will linger into May, if it's average from here out, by mid-April most of the snow will be gone... unless of course there's a big dog somewhere down the line.  I'm satisfied with winter so it can go either way and I don't much care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madwx said:

Under clear skies, fresh snow cover and an inversion we got down to 2 this morning at my house.  The airport nearby stayed well mixed and is in the middle teens

temp jumped 13 degrees from 7 to 20 in a half hour as the inversion broke.

• Like 1

Here's the ranking for the North Central US stations. Ranked from the coldest again this month. Max avg's were all over the board with well above to well below avg. Min avg's were near to well below normal. BTW, Hibbing, MN recorded this Feb as its coldest with temp records starting in 4/1938.

Feb max ranking map.gif

Feb min ranking map.gif