Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2022 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

14 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Looking forward to some Iowa sloppy seconds Saturday night.  New SPC day 5 has central IA outlooked for severe.

May make a run at 60 today, and should easily be in the 60s tomorrow.  May make a run at 70 Saturday with more humidity.  

Sloppy seconds season getting started early. Saturday may turn out to be my earliest season chase day since 3/15/16 (dismissed the northern extent of 2/28/17 out of hand because of the calendar, won't make that mistake again).

On 2/26/2022 at 1:18 PM, Brian D said:

Looking forward to next weekend. My modelling method is suggesting some potential there, but precip type will be an issue. Should be plenty of ice over the west side of the Lake to keep cold air in play. Ice over to snow is very likely. The upcoming week, although not as cold as previous days, is plenty cold enough to keep making ice, especially during the overnights. Some breezy weather will cause breakups, but there is going to be calmer winds mixed in there, too, which will help with ice formation. Right now, the entire west side of the Lake is ice covered, but it's on the thin side. Lake ice will be a big factor for my weather next weekend.

Looks like something is in the offing for the weekend, and it does look messy for MN. Rain/frz rain/sleet/snow. Well, that's March for ya. Plenty of ice here as the W half of the Lake is pretty covered. Weather has been generally calm, and will be until the weekend, so ice is forming, and thickening. That will keep a nice cold layer here, which could spell ice accumulations to start things off if a mid level warm layer makes it this far.

Apparently no one is interested in the severe threat for Saturday. SPC introduced an area centered on Iowa for Day 5 yesterday, and this morning expanded it to include parts of southwest WI and western IL. A bit optimistic IMO given the paltry instability values forecast, but seasonally high dewpoints for this latitude coupled with a strong negatively tilted 500mb shortwave and surface low always bears watching. We need the rain at any rate.

• Like 1

Apparently no one is interested in the severe threat for Saturday. SPC introduced an area centered on Iowa for Day 5 yesterday, and this morning expanded it to include parts of southwest WI and western IL. A bit optimistic IMO given the paltry instability values forecast, but seasonally high dewpoints for this latitude coupled with a strong negatively tilted 500mb shortwave and surface low always bears watching. We need the rain at any rate.

Well, we have only a few on the board that live out that way. And on top of that, it looks lower end overall as of now. SPC must be really jonesing to have gone 15% 5 days out.

• Like 1

DLH thinking at this point. Ice is the big issue here. March 2010 was the biggest ice event that I remember with 1-2" along the N Shore. Lots of damage to the forest. Guess we shall see as this event nears. Messy is an apt word here for the area as a whole. 

march 5 ice snow event.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Looks identical to the two main Feb. storms, watch the southern one trend south and screw S. WI/E. IA/NW-NC IL again.

Inside 120hrs look to the Euro runs for your answer 

50 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

I couldn't do it.

No one living up here expects Spring in March.  You get use to it.

37 minutes ago, madwx said:

the temp contrast between the northern and southern areas of our sub the past few weeks has been pretty crazy

A cold winter was had up this way, for sure.  It has only been above freezing here one time since Christmas eve when I recorded 33 degrees and the forecast doesn't have a temp above freezing for at least the next seven days, although that can change quick this time of the year.  Average high/low for March 3rd is 30/10... still solid winter climo.

21 minutes ago, tuanis said:

Don't most models have you getting some decent rain this weekend?

Yeah but currently the point forecast has the highest temp only reaching 31. The cold lake should limit the warmth from surging too far north at the surface.  We'll see...I may end up with 35 and rain at some point before transitioning back to snow and ending, hard to say.

Untitled.thumb.png.65f82500c8db3282e1b5d7f4d93b52e9.png

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Another chilly one with -14 for the low here.

Ironwood -16

Iron Mountain -12

Champion -20

Wakefield -24

Watersmeet -22

Baraga Plains -22

Stonington -21

Same temps around here this morning. -single digits near the Lake, with -10's to -20's inland. Cold morning. Another one tomorrow morning coming up before the ugly weather arrives.

• Like 1