Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

19 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Don’t worry about your car dude. There were lives at stake there. Instead of filming, run up the side of highway safely and warn incoming traffic as best as possible. 

Idiots with phones at its finest. Forget helping when they can get their .00000002 seconds of fame. Useless piece of shit human being. As they say, this shit is why the aliens won't land here...

It's cold but nothing too uncommon here - yesterday was 10° BN and today will probably be 12° BN.  The final week of March 2014 had days at 25° BN.  The oddity of this cold is that SNE is as cold or colder than here, also flake-free these past few days while points in every compass direction, including parts of SNE, have been whitened/refreshed.  Big CAD sites usually come with big downsloping.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Hottest summer of my experience, especially July 2-4 (Sat/Sun/Mon) when EWR had highs of 102/105/100.  (NYC a modest 100/103/98, LGA 101/107/99)  Obscenely hot next to the griddle at Curtiss-Wright's private lake resort in NNJ.  On Sunday, the busiest day of my 2 summers working there, it was Death Valley plus - the cheap coil thermometer 10-12 feet from the griddle rotated well past the 120° top of its scale.  We couldn't do our usual bun-browning beneath the griddle flame - they would go straight to black, with maybe a nanosecond of brown stage.

I'm a little suspicious of Boston's high reading on the 2nd and 3rd day of that heat wave.   I was just crushin' the nerd over in the weather charts from those days of lore, and there really wasn't any impetus to kick the wind around E at Logan  ( ... was the station Logan back then? ) Synoptically, that was a pervasive heat anomaly spread out all over the Lakes- OV -  MA - NE regions.  The PP implied a west wind, right out of the dragon's ass of Boston, where it was 91 while NYC was 101 on 3rd. 

The synoptics of/when what happened typically makes those locations more competitive than that.  Then the next day on the 4th, it was 107 at NYC and "just" 97 at Boston?   Thing about the 4th though ...a front came down at some point during the day, so it may have capped that high - not sure ... sometimes those boundaries dry it out and that allows the temp, if anything, to bounce up before it cools later.    Little tedious but interesting -Ray loves this shit, especially some random day in history a light year before he was born.  

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Hottest summer of my experience, especially July 2-4 (Sat/Sun/Mon) when EWR had highs of 102/105/100.  (NYC a modest 100/103/98, LGA 101/107/99)  Obscenely hot next to the griddle at Curtiss-Wright's private lake resort in NNJ.  On Sunday, the busiest day of my 2 summers working there, it was Death Valley plus - the cheap coil thermometer 10-12 feet from the griddle rotated well past the 120° top of its scale.  We couldn't do our usual bun-browning beneath the griddle flame - they would go straight to black, with maybe a nanosecond of brown stage.

I was delivering for people in the Tenafly/Englewood area.   Must have been 120 in the non ac truck.   I sneakily enjoyed it while complaining.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I was delivering for people in the Tenafly/Englewood area.   Must have been 120 in the non ac truck.   I sneakily enjoyed it while complaining.

I still brag about how hot it was in my workplace on 7/3/66.  (150 between grill and counter?) The place was incredibly crowded, and all the visitors were hot/sweaty.  At one point in the afternoon, a customer wondered why we weren't as sweaty as the folks outside the counter, and I said the "furnace" was evaporating our sweat immediately.  I also learned something odd about coffee consumption, at a time I'd never consumed a hot coffee in my life (while brewing the stuff in a 50-cup urn!)   Iced tea demand went up and down with the temp, but coffee consumption was directly proportional to how many people came thru the gate.  We sold more on that blazing Sunday than any other day I worked there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Kevin Martin is still around??? Thought that dude was thrown in prison 

He sounds like a few folks in here.

"Martin does not have any formal education or qualifications in meteorology but insists he was born with "gifts" that allow him to to forecast the weather"

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, kdxken said:

He sounds like a few folks in here.

"Martin does not have any formal education or qualifications in meteorology but insists he was born with "gifts" that allow him to to forecast the weather"

I believe that EasternWx, the predecessor to AMWX, may have been the test tube that created or at least helped create him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I still brag about how hot it was in my workplace on 7/3/66.  (150 between grill and counter?) The place was incredibly crowded, and all the visitors were hot/sweaty.  At one point in the afternoon, a customer wondered why we weren't as sweaty as the folks outside the counter, and I said the "furnace" was evaporating our sweat immediately.  I also learned something odd about coffee consumption, at a time I'd never consumed a hot coffee in my life (while brewing the stuff in a 50-cup urn!)   Iced tea demand went up and down with the temp, but coffee consumption was directly proportional to how many people came thru the gate.  We sold more on that blazing Sunday than any other day I worked there.

When o was moving east from LA, I stopped for a coffee at a McDonald’s in Needles, CA with the temperature that mid July 1991 day being 115. Standing outside drinking it I got my share of looks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

When o was moving east from LA, I stopped for a coffee at a McDonald’s in Needles, CA with the temperature that mid July 1991 day being 115. Standing outside drinking it I got my share of looks!

I was in the grand canyon in July 1991. I couldn’t believe the heat down in the canyon. Then a ranger told us it was actually a bit cooler than usual. :lol:

I remember looking it up years later and he was right. The southwest was cooler than usual that month. Lol. But it’s all relative. 105 felt hot down in the canyon even if 110 was normal. 

48 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was in the grand canyon in July 1991. I couldn’t believe the heat down in the canyon. Then a ranger told us it was actually a bit cooler than usual. :lol:

I remember looking it up years later and he was right. The southwest was cooler than usual that month. Lol. But it’s all relative. 105 felt hot down in the canyon even if 110 was normal. 

My first stop was at the Grand Canyon.  It was comfortable at the rim but hiking to the floor and then back was brutal!

1 hour ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Geez .. I'd hate to see how you feel about something more important ... Lolol

I’m fine crazed71,  just glad it’s gone and over, cuz it was very frustrating and nothing could/would work out for most.  And it was true to itself(a sucker) right to the end.  Mail it in..it’s done.  

• Like 1

Supposed to land at DCA at noon Thursday, then get out on a connecting flight at 1:45. Not loving the look right now. Could bite the bullet and switch to arriving at CLT around 11 and leaving at 1. I feel like they can handle wx better than DCA, and if I miss that DCA connection I am completely SOL. Any thoughts from the aviation guys?

10 hours ago, BrianW said:

1.5 for Branford. A friend in New Haven right by exit 8 on 91 where the big crash was measured 2.2 inches. 

Thanks thats very helpful, i have a very very limited set of reports for this one. And it seems no one from Cocorahs really reporting much of anything which is surprising considering there a lot of towns in there that got hit pretty good.