• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

Nary a trace here in Ayer ... interesting.  But, looking at radar, 97.845% of the geographical region did not see anything from this "event" so I don't feel too left out   LOL.    

But it somewhat does hearken back to that vicious morning WINDEX squall in Dec 2003, that strafed across Metrowest with a quick 1" and brought morning demographics to halt.   It was a fascinating week. I lived in Winchester, Mass back then... 

Five or so days earlier...we had one of those 70/70 warm wash southerly gales with swept tropical rains, ending abruptly at 11pm (last couple of days of November) with a ribbon echo squall.  We dropped back to the upper 40s type air mass for a day, and then we had two fronts, the first was a polar fropa.  It arrived with those type of squalls the start as sprinkles with dark clouds at 45 F and you wonder what the dense gray curtain's going to contain - comes in like a wall of wind pushed grauple, which mixes in and big aggies take over.  And just when the lawns start to look like the frosting on donut it stops... 

Two morning's later the arctic front arrived.  It flashed the region from mid 30s to 28, with what might quantitatively register as the greatest impact 1 inch event in history... haha.  No more...no less... --> grid lock.    It was like 3 and 4 hour stoppages that morning. It made the news.  I wanna say Dec 2nd or 3rd...?  something like that.  I remember the week being very staged downward, in a procession of events, the last of which landed us on the 5-7th, which hosted the big early snow.  Man, I that early in the season, getting 17" of champagne, not more than 8 miles W of the ocean in Winchester. Temperatures in the mid teens with several near white out intervals ... that would have been the biggest event in my personal catalogue of experiences relative to date, but unfortunately for that storm ... that trophy has to go to April 1 1997. 

We did not have a white Xmas that year.

34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

4 days a week. Approx 20-25 miles per week. After running 7 marathons.. that’s enough to  keep me in shape 

I've never run a marathon...  I've never run more than 10 miles, actually.  I don't really covet any ambition to do so - though I've been told I'm in like stage 4 of training for one,  just doing what I've been doing for the past 5 -7 years. 

I run two to three 10 Ks per week.  I ride 25 on stationary bike, or outside seasonal, twice per week.   Then the other days full press elliptical.  I work out every day...  Usually something comes up in the sphere of friends or family that requires a day and that's how I 'work in' a day off from working out.  I'm told I do too much. But I don't have knee or hip and foot issues.  My doctor says that bullshit anyway... You do up to your tolerance ... it won't guarantee you live forever because we're all doomed eventually... but, the goal is to get to the finish line with less pumps and tubes and being propped up by big pharma.   I'm ah .. middle age ( eh hm) and look young for my age - though I am at last salting some along the sides of my hair.  Not bald(ing) though  - I mean...not that there's anything wrong with bald dudes ... LOL  just kidding. 

Anyway, the 4 stage shit ...  I guess in that range, you stop the everyday stuff, and go to two 18 miles per week ... then your ready.  I have no ambition to do a marathon and never have, though. At 5 or 7 miles, the points been made, the calories burned... the runner's elixir and mood reset succeeded.   Plus, it only take 40 or 50 minutes.

Morning pee run and I noted snow otg.   Back to sleep 2 hours and gone by the time I got up.  Cold but with early spring sun angle it doesn’t feel all that bad.  Did not use my heaviest coat.  I’ve been saving it before bringing it for its annual cleaning. May need it tonight though.

• Like 1

Snowing lightly again downtown. The drive in this morning was one of the worst I can remember. There was a thin layer of ice under the snow and the coefficient of friction with my new tires was zero at times. Spun out twice at low speed in Hamden. Cars were off the road in several spots. 

Talking about weird squalls... a buddy in Cornwall, VT picked up 8-10" in like 3-4 hours.

This is in the middle of the Champlain Valley last night.  Addison County.

277303661_10160204983849728_615722585216

He said there's like no snow just a few miles away.  Like that hill in the distance behind the red barn looks largely bare or just coated.

277560970_10160204887884728_915810474325

• Like 3