Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

I’m not getting near a pool in May without a heater. 

I feel like our true seasons line up well with the astrological ones. Deep winter is gone by 3/21, consistent summer temps by 6/21, first 30s around 9/21, and the pack establishing by 12/21. 

Nailed it been saying this forever.  Seasons in seasons. People rush it and Tblizz and Ctblizz, 70s are not pool weather.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, SouthCoastMA said:

some people making it sound like 70+ on memorial day is outrageous. sure, bad luck last year. but 2 months from now  the odds are in our favor that we are much warmer. I'm not sure who is saying 90, or where that narrative came from

We can def get an 85-90 day on Memorial Day.  But can we get 7-10 days in a row of 80+?  Good luck. You need that to increase a medium sized pool to swim able temps. Otherwise outies become innies

12 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We can def get an 85-90 day on Memorial Day.  But can we get 7-10 days in a row of 80+?  Good luck. You need that to increase a medium sized pool to swim able temps. Otherwise outies become innies

That’s the biggest problem with May and early June. It’s akin to winter in late November and very early December. Yes, we can definitely get snow and cold during that period but it’s almost never sustained enough to keep a pack around and there’s a lot of years we get nothing at all during that period except maybe a couple chilly days here and there to remind you that the seasons are changing…but nobody would call it deep winter when you have a couple days below freezing mixed with a cutter and a downslope dandy torch day. 

Same applies to summer season. We can easily pick off a few mid 80s (and 90+ in the torch downslope spots) in late May and early June but so frequently it will be mixed in with some 52F clunkers on an east wind and some years we don’t even sniff the heat until mid/late June at all. Those 73-76F days are awesome, don’t get me wrong because I’d love to keep that all summer, but nobody would really call it deep summer where you go to the beach and pools just like nobody is confusing highs around 40 near T-day as deep winter. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That’s the biggest problem with May and early June. It’s akin to winter in late November and very early December. Yes, we can definitely get snow and cold during that period but it’s almost never sustained enough to keep a pack around and there’s a lot of years we get nothing at all during that period except maybe a couple chilly days here and there to remind you that the seasons are changing…but nobody would call it deep winter when you have a couple days below freezing mixed with a cutter and a downslope dandy torch day. 

Same applies to summer season. We can easily pick off a few mid 80s (and 90+ in the torch downslope spots) in late May and early June but so frequently it will be mixed in with some 52F clunkers on an east wind and some years we don’t even sniff the heat until mid/late June at all. Those 73-76F days are awesome, don’t get me wrong because I’d love to keep that all summer, but nobody would really call it deep summer where you go to the beach and pools just like nobody is confusing highs around 40 near T-day as deep winter. 

Only one super weenie would. 

23 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

We also have to take into account that west and southwest NE can occasionally get those 85F/70F days while ENE rots at 55/49, so they can run more "summer" days May into June. Seems to me "deep summer" begins earlier in June out there, while it's more like mid-late June further NE.

We get a lot of early dry heat up this way in spring… maybe not “heat” though the mountain valleys like SLK/MVL/HIE/BML have had some high numbers in May recently… but a lot of like 80/40 type stuff seems to becoming more common up this way outside the Atlantic influence. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

We also have to take into account that west and southwest NE can occasionally get those 85F/70F days while ENE rots at 55/49, so they can run more "summer" days May into June. Seems to me "deep summer" begins earlier in June out there, while it's more like mid-late June further NE.

Yeah I’d agree with this. The ocean is a real detriment the further east you go (and on the south coast of RI). A place like SW CT will absolutely avoid the dogshit days better than us. I’ve seen some days where it’s 85 there and 50s are banked up against the ORH hills and everyone to the east of that. Or you get those days where it’s 80F at 11am in eastern MA but by 2pm it’s 63F on an east wind while people in the CT river valley are jumping in pools at 88F. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We get a lot of early dry heat up this way in spring… maybe not “heat” though the mountain valleys like SLK/MVL/HIE/BML have had some high numbers in May recently… but a lot of like 80/40 type stuff seems to becoming more common up this way outside the Atlantic influence. 

Yeah your area can be prancing at 75/50F while eastern Maine is like 40.  :D

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

I've known quite a few people who've rented houses on the cape in June to beat the high rates. They only do it once.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I’d agree with this. The ocean is a real detriment the further east you go (and on the south coast of RI). A place like SW CT will absolutely avoid the dogshit days better than us. I’ve seen some days where it’s 85 there and 50s are banked up against the ORH hills and everyone to the east of that. Or you get those days where it’s 80F at 11am in eastern MA but by 2pm it’s 63F on an east wind while people in the CT river valley are jumping in pools at 88F. 

The worst example of this I ever observed was more synoptic in scale ...waaay back in the early spring of 1985.  I think it was late March into early April. There was an unusual early season continental warm dome, probably anchored in a -PNA.  But, the NAO was (likely..) just neg enough, that the Maritime nadir was parked still a bit too close for comfort ... banishing New England out of the carnival mood and lilac fragrances so badly it was like reading about Eden inside an Igloo.  Oh my god.. did we hurt for it ... just like being in hell should.    It was 87 F in Albany one of those days along that five day Mardi Gras in which their exuberant lavish taunted from outside our prison.    Now, I lived in Rockport Ma at the time... so yeah that exaggerated matters, ...but trust me... it wasn't hugely better in BED-ORH in that cluster f'n rectal set up.   The hyper front had set up from like BTV to HFD ...  paralleling the NW flow aloft as it meandered around set Martime low..   Anywhere NE of that smelled like GOM lobster urine and hands were jammed in pockets. Basically, it was 80s to 38 astride the front.  We had elevated thunder one day, while staying cold... that was the warm air getting about as close as it would....  Parole denied though.  The dome and total hemisphere just modulated into a new paradigm where the ridge flattened and everything suppressed into just normal butt bang April New England.   My family had just transplanted from southern Michigan the previous year... I suppose the hidden virtue of suffering that sense of loss, as acutely exacting as it was ... The lesson was indelible.  I have never since under estimated New England's ability to prove that god is really some kind of a complete asshole -

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Mem Day early for pool. But, Dendrite was talking about his area which half the time is always cloudy during the summer. 

I don’t live in VT. My pool experience is from decades of living near MHT. We always opened Memorial Day weekend, but we never used it until mid June because no one wanted to go in 65-70° water. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Do you think this maybe how the average Roman felt circa 400 AD?

They could feel the old order collapsing around them but were not sure why?

heh... what?    - what are we talking about here?  

I was just snarking that autumns snow in october, and bud out shrubs in early decembers ...   and that it's been 80 several times in february's and march's ... and then packing pellet flurries several times in mays ( which means it's a matter of time before a synoptic wave event happens to time with one of those cold layouts).    

And I put last years f'ed up 4th of july bs right in that same oddity envelope/causality, too. 

at least...i was "thinking" all that  lol. 

but sure...  history repeats.    civilization out performs its own necessity and apathy takes over which leads to loss of competences ...inexorably ending up in self destruction?   sure -

altho, this dip shit dumb ass move by Putin has only galvanized the Euro front and it's allies that are of western cultural heritage...  a salubrious revitalization of western interests that always wants to realize societies NOT in Putin's  ( and China's taking notes) vision ... Good work jaggovs..  It's really catastrophically inept work by agency-scaled intellegentsia.  In fact, it's so badly failing logic and just "duh-ism" that it only leads me to believe that this "Existential threat ..." thing they said would imperil nukes?  It isn't really over Russia's existence... It's really about the death of him and his cohorts vision/ideologies, and being on the wrong side of history and not accepting that.  In simple terms, it is the demagogue's ambition that is under threat - not Russia.

So that kind of feeds back favorably in lot of long winded popsicle headache course work ways,  toward western civilization vitality.  ...If they don't get vaporized in the process.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The worst example of this I ever observed was more synoptic in scale ...waaay back in the early spring of 1985.  I think it was late March into early April. There was an unusual early season continental warm dome, probably anchored in a -PNA.  But, the NAO was (likely..) just neg enough, that the Maritime nadir was parked still a bit too close for comfort ... banishing New England out of the carnival mood and lilac fragrances so badly it was like reading about Eden inside an Igloo.  Oh my god.. did we hurt for it ... just like being in hell should.    It was 87 F in Albany one of those days along that five day Mardi Gras in which their exuberant lavish taunted from outside our prison.    Now, I lived in Rockport Ma at the time... so yeah that exaggerated matters, ...but trust me... it wasn't hugely better in BED-ORH in that cluster f'n rectal set up.   The hyper front had set up from like BTV to HFD ...  paralleling the NW flow aloft as it meandered around set Martime low..   Anywhere NE of that smelled like GOM lobster urine and hands were jammed in pockets. Basically, it was 80s to 38 astride the front.  We had elevated thunder one day, while staying cold... that was the warm air getting about as close as it would....  Parole denied though.  The dome and total hemisphere just modulated into a new paradigm where the ridge flattened and everything suppressed into just normal butt bang April New England.   My family had just transplanted from southern Michigan the previous year... I suppose the hidden virtue of suffering that sense of loss, as acutely exacting as it was ... The lesson was indelible.  I have never since under estimated New England's ability to prove that god is really some kind of a complete asshole -

Do you remember late March 1998? I think we hit mid 80s even in ORH during that stretch. Some spots in the CP must have been flirting close to 90F. We went to the Cape to visit my grandparents that Saturday (I think day 2 of the heat dome) and got greeted with 47F and a stiff southwest breeze…even with sun still shining. What an absolute disaster that was.

Then of course you prob remember how that heat ended with the backdoor CF from hell. Think we went into the 30s on 4/1 after a cheap midnight high in the 60s of what must have felt like a balmy early summer evening….then seeing 37F stratiform rain and a stiff northeast breeze during the day.