Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Mud season is a special time of year.  The colder climates do it unfortunately well.  The deeper you can freeze the ground over the course of a winter, the deeper your mud seems to be in the spring across New England.

A couple photos... a friend shared this from Waterbury, when you can't get to your AirBnB because your car can't handle NNE mud season.  Friend in truck stopped to help these folks get to their weekend rental with a trip up the hill after seeing this.

1.jpg.2bdba82e9b77382969ad75fd3ef8e838.jpg

This one was from Moretown, VT (Mad River Valley, town borders Waterbury to south) in the rain this weekend.

2.thumb.jpg.01527e3fbf17c2a51840fb0daf5934b3.jpg

Damage.

276021012_2083677515126642_3023967738249

:lol: that’s crazy…or standard fare in NNE 

Yeah, total mudpit here. The dirt road to my driveway is the worst I have seen it. You almost need 4WD/AWD to get through.

I am expecting a long mud season because I am sure the cold and wet pattern we all waited for this winter will show up now.

My lawn front lawn and back field will not be suitable for anything until later in May.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That signal a week out is almost worth paying attention to.

Yeah that's a very deep H5 anomaly just south of us.

Also, EPS/GEFS have a pretty nice 'rhea signal for early April with a decaying west-based -NAO.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that's a very deep H5 anomaly just south of us.

Also, EPS/GEFS have a pretty nice 'rhea signal for early April with a decaying west-based -NAO.

May end up with a bit of March 2018 appeal after all, given that I may be blogging and drafting simultaneously. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

:lol: that’s crazy…or standard fare in NNE 

There's some gravel roads in town that look like that.  Fortunately the 2000' of gravel between pavement and home is good material and just slimes the top inch or two until the frost is melted out of the top 6".  Fit for light traffic only - a loaded log truck would quickly make a our road look like PF's pics.

• Like 1

I think we’re going to get a bowling ball, the only issue is wave spacing on the models right now. I do not think that will be an issue at all, as with the North Atlantic blocking in place timing shouldn’t be too much of an issue. There will be plenty of time for the northern energy to phase in and catch a piece of the southern energy. This time of the year thermals are a concern, but if the low location is good and it’s strong enough it will create its own cold air. A possible scenario is the storm starts as rain, but then as the low deepens it creates its own cold air via dynamic cooling, leading to the rain transitioning to some snow. The North Atlantic blocking in place ups the ante, leading to the storm slowing down. When combined with the bowling ball low closing off quickly, a storm loaded with QPF is very possible. The question is how much will be snow. Right now the surface maps have the low too far south, but the upper air pattern suggests that the low has room to come north.image.thumb.png.6592dae3149c5a1c9af2884965e0e3e7.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 4

Looks the same as it did yesterday when I brought this up ...

... an emerging signal for amplitude now ~ day 6 - 8.5, but the last 24 hours of runs haven't provided much confidence in what that will be.  

It may only express aloft.   I was looking at the individual members of the GEFs and about half have some impressive evolutions at 500 mb, from the MA to off the NE coast ...roughly D7 .. 7.5, but then you go look at the sfc?   garbage - 

Still appears destructive interference is going on out there ... which may or may not limit this potential.  

The big bag of trough garbage in the mid range that wobbles and contorts its way through the east does two things:  one...it normalizes the thermodynamic gradient but perhaps more importantly, the wave space between its aft/exit aspect wrt to the amplitude diving in, is too short. Because of that, the wave coming in can't pop crucial lead roll-out ridging, such that would feed back ...slow down, situate/cross up jet axis ... blah blah big storm. 

The GGEM nicely exemplifies this type of 'starvation' result.  It slowly deepens a middling low over 18 hours.  It has spring snow in mid level forcing...

All this could modulate more developed, but the total wave spacing needs to either open up ...or less emphasis in general in handling the mid range ...such that it doesn't evacuate ambient baroclinicity and/or back-impose wave spacing contention.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, George001 said:

I think we’re going to get a bowling ball, the only issue is wave spacing on the models right now. I do not think that will be an issue at all, as with the North Atlantic blocking in place timing shouldn’t be too much of an issue. There will be plenty of time for the northern energy to phase in and catch a piece of the southern energy. This time of the year thermals are a concern, but if the low location is good and it’s strong enough it will create its own cold air. A likely scenario is the storm starts as rain, but then as the low deepens it creates its own cold air via dynamic cooling, leading to the rain transitioning to heavy snow and blizzard conditions. The North Atlantic blocking in place ups the ante, leading to the storm slowing down. When combined with the bowling ball low closing off quickly, a storm loaded with QPF, like 3+ inches is very possible. Right now the surface maps have the low too far south, but the upper air pattern suggests that the low has room to come north.image.thumb.png.6592dae3149c5a1c9af2884965e0e3e7.png

Stop acting like such a fool.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Mud season is a special time of year.  The colder climates do it unfortunately well.  The deeper you can freeze the ground over the course of a winter, the deeper your mud seems to be in the spring across New England.

A couple photos... a friend shared this from Waterbury, when you can't get to your AirBnB because your car can't handle NNE mud season.  Friend in truck stopped to help these folks get to their weekend rental with a trip up the hill after seeing this.

1.jpg.2bdba82e9b77382969ad75fd3ef8e838.jpg

This one was from Moretown, VT (Mad River Valley, town borders Waterbury to south) in the rain this weekend.

2.thumb.jpg.01527e3fbf17c2a51840fb0daf5934b3.jpg

Damage.

276021012_2083677515126642_3023967738249

That road would sketch me out with my 2500.  I mean, I would be fine, but I would also rather not.  That's gross.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Deep insight that can only be found on Americanwx Forums.

The best that I can tell ... from that particular source there is almost 0 filtration through Meteorological machinery in the formulation of post content. 

There's some vague toe-hold on reality, only for the that the user starts with a chart, but from there....?  It's really like sitting through a Looney Tunes day dream of "Ralph Phillips"

Eventually ...if this has not already begun to happen, this individual will start getting ignored altogether if he doesn't modulate his tact ... I tried constructively to warn him of that destiny, yet he replied with post like, "Yeeeeeah I don't think that's gonna happen" 

I don't know what you call that.  "Pull the gun out of your mouth or you might blow your head off"  -->  "yeeeeah I don't think that's gonna happen." 

It is what it is

32 minutes ago, George001 said:

I think we’re going to get a bowling ball, the only issue is wave spacing on the models right now. I do not think that will be an issue at all, as with the North Atlantic blocking in place timing shouldn’t be too much of an issue. There will be plenty of time for the northern energy to phase in and catch a piece of the southern energy. This time of the year thermals are a concern, but if the low location is good and it’s strong enough it will create its own cold air. A likely scenario is the storm starts as rain, but then as the low deepens it creates its own cold air via dynamic cooling, leading to the rain transitioning to heavy snow and blizzard conditions. The North Atlantic blocking in place ups the ante, leading to the storm slowing down. When combined with the bowling ball low closing off quickly, a storm loaded with QPF, like 3+ inches is very possible. Right now the surface maps have the low too far south, but the upper air pattern suggests that the low has room to come north.image.thumb.png.6592dae3149c5a1c9af2884965e0e3e7.png

Big winter incoming. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The best that I can tell ... from that particular source there is almost 0 filtration through Meteorological machinery in the formulation of post content. 

There's some vague toe-hold on reality, only for the that the user starts with a chart, but from there....?  It's really like sitting through a Looney Tunes day dream of "Ralph Phillips"

Eventually ...if this has not already begun to happen, this individual will start getting ignored altogether if he doesn't modulate his tact ... I tried constructively to warn him of that destiny, yet he replied with post like, "Yeeeeeah I don't think that's gonna happen" 

I don't know what you call that.  "Pull the gun out of your mouth or you might blow your head off"  -->  "yeeeeah I don't think that's gonna happen." 

It is what it is

I have toned it down a bit. I still jump the gun sometimes but this I am willing to accept feedback. This post is a bit harsh, but completely fair and nothing you said here is really inaccurate so I’ll work on it. I probably shouldn’t have started talking about blizzards off just a good H5 look (I’ll edit the post so it’s toned down) but man it’s a really good look. I don’t entirely remember all the details of our last exchange, but I do remember taking offense to something you said and got defensive as a result. I don’t really want to make enemies here so I’ll forget about that and clean up my posts. Fair enough?

1 hour ago, George001 said:

I think we’re going to get a bowling ball, the only issue is wave spacing on the models right now. I do not think that will be an issue at all, as with the North Atlantic blocking in place timing shouldn’t be too much of an issue. There will be plenty of time for the northern energy to phase in and catch a piece of the southern energy. This time of the year thermals are a concern, but if the low location is good and it’s strong enough it will create its own cold air. A possible scenario is the storm starts as rain, but then as the low deepens it creates its own cold air via dynamic cooling, leading to the rain transitioning to some snow. The North Atlantic blocking in place ups the ante, leading to the storm slowing down. When combined with the bowling ball low closing off quickly, a storm loaded with QPF is very possible. The question is how much will be snow. Right now the surface maps have the low too far south, but the upper air pattern suggests that the low has room to come north.image.thumb.png.6592dae3149c5a1c9af2884965e0e3e7.png

See the source image