Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Spring cleanup is done . So much stuff blown down that I kept up with over the winter, but you can never get all the sticks and branches. And the GD acorns . This is from one tree. An absolute nightmare . These warm, early springs are great for getting the yard ready early 

zraypud.jpg

HqhW1Yq.jpg
FejimpH.jpg

Looks nice! great job

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Morch Memories with my bud Little Joe

FB_IMG_1647782203526.jpg

Great picture Steve…I remember when you posted that.  

Norhhern Maine still buried and cold. North of caribou picked up another 4” overnight, sledding is superb..winter in high gear up there…no spring in sight for them….with more snow on the way, just Amazing.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol, Ive been saying that too.  Although I think any chances for any winter type storm are less than 5% for most of SNE. So it is pretty much a wrap imo. 

I'm enjoying the warmth but wouldn't be shocked if something happens in day 7.5 range. looks somewhat interesting and is giving me pause on saying it's over. 

22 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Spring cleanup is done . So much stuff blown down that I kept up with over the winter, but you can never get all the sticks and branches. And the GD acorns . This is from one tree. An absolute nightmare . These warm, early springs are great for getting the yard ready early 

zraypud.jpg

HqhW1Yq.jpg
FejimpH.jpg

Who does yard work in running shoes. 

This guy.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I'm enjoying the warmth but wouldn't be shocked if something happens in day 7.5 range. looks somewhat interesting and is giving me pause on saying it's over. 

I hear ya.  But I’m gonna err on the side of persistence at this point.  It will find a way to sabotage itself.  

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Same with my Merrils, use the old pairs for yard work in the spring, come summer it's flip flops 

I’m a Merrill guy too but flip flops only at home as they don’t support walking.  In fact I use Keens which thankfully cover my toenails so other people don’t vomit.  Decades of running have killed them…

• Haha 5

Sizable ice jam on the Sandy in Farmington, right under Center Bridge (Rt 2).  Stretches out of sight both up and downriver, so at least 2,000'.  Not tall enough to flood much, but as the flow from the thaw/rain has peaked, the ice is settling onto the river bottom to await the next extended torch or big rain.  Probably won't amount to much in the end but could get interesting if the late week storm brings a pile of rain.
Pack down to 12" with some wet spots in the woods down to leaves, and most fields are bare or patches.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

zraypud.jpg

HqhW1Yq.jpg
FejimpH.jpg

Unfortunately this was my backyard yesterday. Today isn’t a lot better. This is why we cheer for Stein during mud season. 
image.jpeg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Unfortunately this was my backyard yesterday. Today isn’t a lot better. This is why we cheer for Stein during mud season. 
image.jpeg

Crazy you still have snowdrifts and ice. You must not drain well there . Almost appears since it’s so flat and surrounded by trees that it just traps water ?

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

zraypud.jpg

HqhW1Yq.jpg
FejimpH.jpg

nair or a razor?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Crazy you still have snowdrifts and ice. You must not drain well there . Almost appears since it’s so flat and surrounded by trees that it just traps water ?

I’m in a somewhat flat portion, about 3 properties long, halfway up my hill. So all of the runoff from up the hill and thawed groundwater just pools up here. I’m on the north side of the hill as well so the surface is more parallel to the sun angle than a southerly facing slope. My ground is still frozen in spots despite full sun until about 4pm.

It’s just tough dealing with the water here when the ground is frozen and the plants are asleep. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That's a very common scene around NNE... so much standing water around, melting snowbanks and shaded drifts/patches.  Grayscale ice that makes up the base of the former snowpack is the last to go.  You sink in at least an inch walking around the yard here, with water filling your footprints.  It's literally like walking around on top of a waterbed.  Quick melt of snow on top of frozen tundra and the water has no where to go.  Nothing close to growing so can't utilize the water. Ground can't soak in, sits on top.  Like summer in the permafrost zones.

• Like 1

Mud season is a special time of year.  The colder climates do it unfortunately well.  The deeper you can freeze the ground over the course of a winter, the deeper your mud seems to be in the spring across New England.

A couple photos... a friend shared this from Waterbury, when you can't get to your AirBnB because your car can't handle NNE mud season.  Friend in truck stopped to help these folks get to their weekend rental with a trip up the hill after seeing this.

1.jpg.2bdba82e9b77382969ad75fd3ef8e838.jpg

This one was from Moretown, VT (Mad River Valley, town borders Waterbury to south) in the rain this weekend.

2.thumb.jpg.01527e3fbf17c2a51840fb0daf5934b3.jpg

Damage.

276021012_2083677515126642_3023967738249

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's a very common scene around NNE... so much standing water around, melting snowbanks and shaded drifts/patches.  Grayscale ice that makes up the base of the former snowpack is the last to go.  You sink in at least an inch walking around the yard here, with water filling your footprints.  It's literally like walking around on top of a waterbed.  Quick melt of snow on top of frozen tundra and the water has no where to go.  Nothing close to growing so can't utilize the water. Ground can't soak in, sits on top.  Like summer in the permafrost zones.

This was this evening before I let the birds out to free range. I dread walking through this every time.

image.jpeg

• Like 1