Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, Torch Tiger said:

You cannot be far from normal snowfall-wise though, right?  Do you average near 50"? and you've got over 40"?  I'm not sure.  Annoying winter yes but seems a bit harsh in retrospect

Average close to 50”, have 35” on the season. Maybe Not a complete rat, but not very good either.   70% of normal, isn’t too good imo. But it’s over and done in my mind, so we move on and forget.  

71 degrees out there’s already…gorgeous for sure. 

I could be wrong on this and this doesn't apply for the top-tier above-average winters, but for the most part most locations probably go into March near or below-average in terms of snowfall. Many climo sites still average several-pus inches of snowfall during the month of March and maybe an inch or two in April (though this could have changed over the past decade). 

• Like 1

welp ...that now 4 years out of the last 6, spanning different ENSO this... solar that... AMO this... PDO that...

...where we've gone bizzaro heat at least once prior to the Equinox. 

72 to 75 presently, on March 18 ... It's not as extreme as 83 like it did 2 our of those 4 times... but it's absurd enough, and eerily dependable.

21 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Sunday looks sneaky warm - 60's again?

Maybe... 

Tuesday looks like a huge reality check.  Thankfully it is shorter lived... Looks like one of those  air masses that knifes in for 18 hours and rolls away.  Maybe 30s with high winds, then 40s with light winds on Wednesday - something like that...

You know, in some ways ...one is better without a day like this, this ridic early.  Obviously ...one knows this is not reliable/sustainable -duh. It's never about that. But, still, being human, it makes it's hard when the other shoe falls. 

One year, I think it was 2010 ... we had a shit March with a ton of flooding. Cold and windy and raw with 4 coastals that dumped 5" of rain, each, spanning 3 weeks - kind of like May 2005, but in March, and each storm more intense.  ...None were snow by the way... But, I remember early April, this crazy warm front came through and it was like a 40s one day, 80s the next...and the season really never went back deeper than the 60s and in fact, that was a hot spring overall after that.  exceedingly rare ... That's how you want it done.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I could be wrong on this and this doesn't apply for the top-tier above-average winters, but for the most part most locations probably go into March near or below-average in terms of snowfall. Many climo sites still average several-pus inches of snowfall during the month of March and maybe an inch or two in April (though this could have changed over the past decade). 

Some places in SNE average more in March than in Dec, and it's at least close in most places.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, radarman said:

Some places in SNE average more in March than in Dec, and it's at least close in most places.

88% of our snow comes in the 4 months DJFM.  The cumulative percentages below are probably similar to others here, though the farther south the more dominant Jan-Feb tends to be.
Since I'm only on winter # 24, my numbers are "live" and adjust with each month's entry.)

Month  Snow  Cum SN  Cum %
OCT      0.63"     0.63"      0.7%
NOV      4.72"     5.35"      6.0%
DEC     18.75"   34.10"     27.2%
JAN     19.62"   43.72"    49.4%
FEB     22.87"   66.59"    75.2%
MAR    16.70"   83.29"    94.1%   (Last year's 0.1": total didn't help.)
APR      5.10"     88.39"    99.8%
MAY     0.15"     88.54"

• Like 1