Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

18 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Saw this on the interwebs ,cool

20220313_170126.jpg

Fascinating. 
Some oddities on it, or examples of my geographic ignorance.  Not sure about what that color change means on the SNJ's Atlantic coast - it's mostly dead flat there, would need to go north to Absecon Highlands, closer to the coast's "elbow": for much elevation.  Those low-elevation colors in NW Maine are bizarre, especially since there's no such color in NE Maine - would have the St. John flowing uphill from its sources to Grand Falls where it becomes wholly Canadian.  Downeast has some bumps but it's mostly <500'.

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Fascinating. 
Some oddities on it, or examples of my geographic ignorance.  Not sure about what that color change means on the SNJ's Atlantic coast - it's mostly dead flat there, would need to go north to Absecon Highlands, closer to the coast's "elbow": for much elevation.  Those low-elevation colors in NW Maine are bizarre, especially since there's no such color in NE Maine - would have the St. John flowing uphill from its sources to Grand Falls where it becomes wholly Canadian.  Downeast has some bumps but it's mostly <500'.

I'm starting to think it's just a 2021-2022 snowfall anomaly map using elevation contours attempting to represent the anomaly...it would explain why SE MA and coastal Maine are "higher" than areas to the northwest.....although I don't think they quite achieved what they intended anyway. Places like S VT are solidly below normal for snowfall but still show up high on the map.

It's just a terrible and confusing map that doesn't give us much useful information.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm starting to think it's just a 2021-2022 snowfall anomaly map using elevation contours attempting to represent the anomaly...it would explain why SE MA and coastal Maine are "higher" than areas to the northwest.....although I don't think they quite achieved what they intended anyway. Places like S VT are solidly below normal for snowfall but still show up high on the map.

It's just a terrible and confusing map that doesn't give us much useful information.

That would be more logical, though it would be much too generous for our area, where SN to date is about 85% of average.

12 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Euro D0 to D8, that's an impressive winter retreat

EUro314.gif

I mused about this last week ..yeah.

I called it the 'spring flashing' that happens more less observable every year... Sometimes it's like, 'oh that's weird - what just happened' when looking at the mid...extended range charts.  Other times, it's seductively slow and you just end up there over a 10 day period. Usually occurs sometime in March.  

This last weekend's system seemed to coil up the pattern its self, and cold, and escaped away with it... leaving weaker gradients and slowing velocities in across the broader expanse of the continent.   That's not to say it won't snow again.  Concomitant with this type of patterning ...we enter the cold pocket/cut-off low risk, as Will and I have mentioned ( also ). There's evidence that we just flashed and there's also evidence that we'll have to watch for 'bowling season' type events over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Fascinating. 

Lot of that map looks exaggerated for elevations.

It sort of just looks like a 21-22 total snowfall map using the “elevation” to denote where it’s the highest. Pretty confusing.

1 minute ago, Thunderblizzard said:

It sort of just looks like a 21-22 total snowfall map using the “elevation” to denote where it’s the highest. Pretty confusing.

Maybe....but that wouldn't explain the obscenely low numbers in the Allagash of Maine.