Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 24-25th Event -- Generators for some, pre-emerg for others

JTA66

On 2/23/2022 at 5:08 PM, MGorse said:

Zones overall match the county borders. There are some exceptions like Bucks, Montgomery and Chester counties which were split years ago to better define the more urban from the higher elevation areas. Splitting of counties/zones is a long process. 

Emergency Managers do no set the criteria. They review what is planned to be in place basically to provide feedback. The criteria is based in part on climatology. PennDOT is usually not involved because the criteria is not strictly for what accumulates on roads. That is very difficult to predict. Some adjustments for as least some areas to the warning/advisory criteria were made over the years. There is some wiggle room when it comes to winter storm warnings as combined impacts can be taken into account despite the individual snow and ice amounts being below warning criteria. 

Lastly, I had no hand in expanding the winter storm watch this afternoon. :)

thanks anyway for the explanation

• Weenie 1

Looks like it might be wrapping up here.  Currently at 33 with dp 33 and the gauge is finally unfreezing and I got a bucket tip (I can still get a reading from the Stratus though). :lol:

I think this is the first time since I got the GRLevelX products that I saw the little "Ice storm" icons on the display.  There have been some pretty rough problems this morning around the area (including in Delco and southern Chesco).

Screenshot 2022-02-25 095332.png

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Got about .08 to .10 accretion here, not too bad at first glance, although the bamboo is not happy. Gonna have a little work there. Note the snow pile, it's been hanging in there! Honestly didn't think it would make it through Wednesday, but there it is, lol.

0225221010_HDR_copy_3327x2960_copy_819x728.jpg.ddea3f7395f724506b90b2c061abbf54.jpg

LOL at the remnants.  It's like a seedling of the original snow pile. :lol:

3 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Lol, it's been a good run. That snow has been there since Jan. 7th. Might make it to March 1st.

Except for I think Sunday with a mini-warmup, it probably would be good to make it to March 1st!   There was a plow pile not far from my house that had been at least 4 ft high but still had about a 1 ft tall x 6 ft long remnant before the upper 60s temps and this storm.  Haven't had chance to see what is left from it now but it did still have some staying potential since what was left was probably glacial. :lol:

• Like 1

No updated PNS yet but there was a LSR submitted for Berks Co -

NWUS51 KPHI 251533
 LSRPHI

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
 NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
 1033 AM EST FRI FEB 25 2022

..TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON...
 ..DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
             ..REMARKS..

0800 AM     FREEZING RAIN    MERTZTOWN               40.51N 75.67W
 02/25/2022  M0.50 INCH       BERKS              PA   TRAINED SPOTTER  

RADIAL MEASUREMENT WITH PHOTO. 

&&

$$

JEO

Currently 34.5°F and raining from the trees. Thank goodness there's no wind.

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Looks like it might be wrapping up here.  Currently at 33 with dp 33 and the gauge is finally unfreezing and I got a bucket tip (I can still get a reading from the Stratus though). :lol:

Yeah I've got about 5.5 hours of frozen gauge data lol. Just came back at 11:30.

Well thankfully I had the Stratus rain gauge out there because only 0.01" was registered by my Ambient. :lol: 

Ended up with 0.91" of liquid between the rain and (melted) sleet. Had little or no snow other than an early rain/snow/sleet mix with this storm.  So the models got the qpf down but how that translated into ptype with the temps, would have been tricky.

17 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Well thankfully I had the Stratus rain gauge out there because only 0.01" was registered by my Ambient. :lol: 

Ended up with 0.91" of liquid between the rain and (melted) sleet. Had little or no snow other than an early rain/snow/sleet mix with this storm.  So the models got the qpf down but how that translated into ptype with the temps, would have been tricky.

Ended up catching that dry slot this morning, If not we would have had a few inches of sleet