Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 24-25th Event -- Generators for some, pre-emerg for others

JTA66

20 minutes ago, anthonyweather said:

Lots of red on those counties counties… really surprised there’s just advisories, especially with the way the mesos are trending here tonight 

There's some disconnect between what's being modeled and my local forecasts. The way my local forecasts have trended makes me think it might ZR for maybe a couple of hours after midnight and then everything warms up by sunrise. First it was supposed to start at 7, then the forecast said 9, now it says 11. Looking at the 0Z NAM though makes it look like ZR all the way from midnight until 10am.

This strikes me as a very not straightforward weather system (can we even call it a storm? I guess it will be much further north). I don't envy being a met tonight, that's for sure. 

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

The Warning criteria is at least 5"/6" snow and/or sleet, and is also based on the designated certain amounts expected over either a 12 hour period or over 24 hours..

Screenshot 2022-02-23 102546-winterstormwarning-02232022.png

The Ice Storm Warning has its own amounts needed to qualify...

Screenshot 2022-02-23 102928-icestormwarning-02232022.png

The ice storm Warning is pretty significant icing - they actually have one up over on the western side of the state (lofted by State College's WFO).  What often happens with these overrunning storms with marginal temps here is that the warm air comes pouring eventually and the estimated time for continuous icing might not make the 24 hour min.

So current modeling is .50-.80” ZR across the board for northern areas…

11 minutes ago, anthonyweather said:

So current modeling is .50-.80” ZR across the board for northern areas…

Well the models may be saying that but they aren't using them verbatim for their guidance.  They use a bunch of other things including their blend model (that RedSky calls the "scapple model" :lol:).

So for the 0z NBM, you get this -

floop-nbm-2022022500.snowfall_acc.us_ne-0z-feb24-26-storm-snow-02242022.gif

floop-nbm-2022022500.framexp_acc.us_ne-0z-feb24-26-storm-ice-02242022.gif

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Well the models may be saying that but they aren't using them verbatim for their guidance.  They use a bunch of other things including their blend model (that RedSky calls the "scapple model" :lol:).

So for the 0z NBM, you get this -

floop-nbm-2022022500.snowfall_acc.us_ne-0z-feb24-26-storm-snow-02242022.gif

floop-nbm-2022022500.framexp_acc.us_ne-0z-feb24-26-storm-ice-02242022.gif

See what happens come morning, they’ll prolly issue ISW at the end of the event 

I noticed Ralph's temps are colder than mine. Check out this weird warm pocket:

rHxLPZk.jpg

I'll probably do this again in a couple of hours. 

20 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

WRF mesos are 95% frozen here. Minimal amount falls as plain rain at the tail end. Pretty ugly.look on the high res stuff tonight as this approaches. Definitely cold enough outside. Sitting at 30F here in Ivyland.

42 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

WRF mesos are 95% frozen here. Minimal amount falls as plain rain at the tail end. Pretty ugly.look on the high res stuff tonight as this approaches. Definitely cold enough outside. Sitting at 30F here in Ivyland.

It seems that TWC is saying it'll warm up basically fairly quickly overnight and this isn't much to worry about for everyone. At least I hope that's the case. If it ends up not panning out that way it'll surprise alot of people in the AM 

24 minutes ago, Rockem_sockem_connection said:

It seems that TWC is saying it'll warm up basically fairly quickly overnight and this isn't much to worry about for everyone. At least I hope that's the case. If it ends up not panning out that way it'll surprise alot of people in the AM 

You're probably ok across the river but N and W of there is trending the wrong way at the last minute. Perfectly timed late Feb nocturnal ice storm to catch am commute on a Friday off-guard. 

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

You're probably ok across the river but N and W of there is trending the wrong way at the last minute. Perfectly timed late Feb nocturnal ice storm to catch am commute on a Friday off-guard. 

I’ve hammered for the past 2 days that N&w of Philly through poconos are in trouble, hopefully I got through to some of them haha…

report from millersville that heavy sleet is falling out there. 

Winds kicked up and I’m at 29 up here 

Looks to me we will have minimal problems for the following reason in Delaware County:

1. heavy rates not allowing for ice accretion.

2. relative warmth from past days.

3. temps think needed to get lower we are currently at 29 it was 28.

4. temps will slowly rise overnight.

5. Warm air aloft in heavier rates will eventually mix down to the surface further aiding in temp rises.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Looks to me we will have minimal problems for the following reason in Delaware County:

1. heavy rates not allowing for ice accretion.

2. relative warmth from past days.

3. temps think needed to get lower we are currently at 29 it was 28.

4. temps will slowly rise overnight.

5. Warm air aloft in heavier rates will eventually mix down to the surface further aiding in temp rises.

Most of the recent runs of the models were showing a much lower impact in the SE corner of PA and further S/E across S. Jersey and Delaware.  It's the people N/W that are going to have a problem.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Of note my Davis rooftop anemometer has already frozen however the Tempest station on the roof without moving parts continues to work...winds have swung around from the SE to the NE over the last 15 minutes - temp at 27.9

My anemometer is still moving but my gauge bucket  in the Ambient is frozen.  I do have my Stratus out there.

• Like 1

Temp is down to 29.8 but the rain is too heavy and it’s just running off of everything. Warm temps leading in, definitely a factor. Don’t think we will see much accretion down here even though we are colder than progged. Areas n and w will probably see some issues on vegetation but I’m still pretty skeptical roads will have problems save for maybe far NW areas. Rain is going to be too heavy for that glaze to form on the roadways. Areas that start as snow/sleet and get a little sleet accumulation down may see some issues though. 

7 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Temp is down to 29.8 but the rain is too heavy and it’s just running off of everything. Warm temps leading in, definitely a factor. Don’t think we will see much accretion down here even though we are colder than progged. Areas n and w will probably see some issues on vegetation but I’m still pretty skeptical roads will have problems save for maybe far NW areas. Rain is going to be too heavy for that glaze to form on the roadways. Areas that start as snow/sleet and get a little sleet accumulation down may see some issues though. 

How much of a threat in my area do you see? Any danger of power outages?