• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 24-25, 2022 Ice/Sleet/Rain/Snow (yeah sure) Storm Thread

WinterWxLuvr

I should have mentioned this before the melting but...

When measuring ice accretion on twigs/small branches remember...

Measure the amount of ice on top of the branch and also the amount of ice (not icicles) hanging under the branch add the two measurements up then divide by 2. 

Ex: 0.2" ice on top of twig with 0.1" of non-icicle ice below the twig gets you (0.2+0.1)/2 = 0.3/2 = 0.15" of ice accretion 

:)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, George BM said:

I should have mentioned this before the melting but...

When measuring ice accretion on twigs/small branches remember...

Measure the amount of ice on top of the branch and also the amount of ice (not icicles) hanging under the branch add the two measurements up then divide by 2. 

Ex: 0.2" ice on top of twig with 0.1" of non-icicle ice below the twig gets you (0.2+0.1)/2 = 0.3/2 = 0.15" of ice accretion 

:)

So, would measuring the icicles be the equivalent of slant-sticking for ice accretion? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

DUDE. That's breathtaking. THAT'S award-winning photography right there, at least in my book.

I appreciate it!  I am certainly no photographer...It was just a quick shot with an iPhone 13.  Wish I could get Imgur links to work like they used to in here.  I had to really reduce the resolution to get it to upload.  

Here is the link to the full res if anyone is interested.

https://imgur.com/X2cX9Mh

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

I appreciate it!  I am certainly no photographer...It was just a quick shot with an iPhone 13.  Wish I could get Imgur links to work like they used to in here.  I had to really reduce the resolution to get it to upload.  

Yep, that is submittable there!

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

Oh, I'm interested, and downloaded your higher res version for my desktop pics folder on my numerous laptops! Thx again for sharing. The iPhone 13 line (as well as most recent Google Pixel generation phones) are SO capable of capturing the more challenging lighting situations like this. In fact, it just hit me what your pic reminded me of -- a 1988(!) album cover for a Windham Hill new age instrumental collection called "Winters Solstice II." I'd argue that yours is even better.  ;) 

71RgTFNW2lL._SL1500_.thumb.jpg.bc882997cac4c07d75166fd9b24e3e4a.jpg

• Like 3