Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 24-25, 2022 Ice/Sleet/Rain/Snow (yeah sure) Storm Thread

WinterWxLuvr

5 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Pavement is just wet here but nothing is melting off of the weighted trees and power lines.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see northern tier counties close today.

I could see BCPS going with just a delay to save them having to add on a day at the end of the year. We are out of snow days. 

• Like 1

Just now, DDweatherman said:

It’s a sure sign of some soft closings when you’re at 50% of average climo and all the snow days are gone. 

I don't think that's the case. The county only had 5 days designated. The first week of January used up 3 alone with the two events that week. 

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

HoCo is too. We had school on Monday, Presidents’ Day as a make up. Even with that, last day is currently June 21.

Ahh, we still had that day off. As of now if they close today, school would end Friday 6/17 instead of Thursday 6/16. 

3 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

I’m not surprised at all. Seems like a good situation for a delay with rising temps now through the morning. My deck furniture is all iced over with icicles hanging off. Haven’t been outside yet to check paved surfaces. Temp is 32.

Delay for what, though? Even in my shadiest, coldest spots, there was no ice accumulation on paved surfaces. If we are going to have a delay today, guess we should just start having a delay for any time it rains.

17 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Delay for what, though? Even in my shadiest, coldest spots, there was no ice accumulation on paved surfaces. If we are going to have a delay today, guess we should just start having a delay for any time it rains.

Could be more about allowing time for ice cleanup from vehicles/busses etc and I guess there were SOME power outages and potential road slickness in certain higher elevation spots of counties. I dont have an issue with the delays, now I would have if they closed:lol: (I dont even have a kid tho so its more about being a Karen for me!)

19 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

2 hours seems fine, though i could understand where you're coming from.  imby at least, this was a non-event on paved surfaces (temps leading in clearly limited frozen impacts there).  trees were glazed more than i expected, though (and it actually looks kinda cool from my balcony...i'm ready to buy a place, but glad i chose the top floor in the meantime lol).  i think if there was any sleet involved here roads might have been worse off by providing an extra coating.  overall, this was a pretty good example that temps leading in do matter, but on a surface by surface basis.