Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 24/25 Potential Winter Storm

mikem81

5 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Im not too excited for ZR after expecting sleet all week. Also temps go up to upper 30s/40 tomorrow so any ZR will melt immediately.  I'd almost rather plain rain at this point if not snow/sleet

40 degrees? I don't think so. Maybe mid to upper 30's at the coast. That's not where the big problems are going to be anyway. And the problems mostly occur while the ice is falling. Once precipitation stops it's over. If temps do get above freezing in the interior it won't be until after everything is done.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

40 degrees? I don't think so. Maybe mid to upper 30's at the coast. That's not where the big problems are going to be anyway. And the problem is while the ice is falling. Once precipitation stops it's over. If temps do get above freezing in the interior it won't be until after everything is done.

Maybe not 40 but several models are now spiking temps to mid 30s well inland, mostly after precip ends but still the small ice accretion will melt fast. Sleet woulda lasted a bit longer because its thick.   

On 2/23/2022 at 8:45 AM, MJO812 said:

Not one model has this as a pure rain event for NYC

You cant wish a snow storm. You cant hype one either. It is either coming or it isnt.

There’s enough collective knowledge on here to know this is a bad set up for a city that has a bad set up for winter weather.

There is nothing locking cold air in place

The low is all the way over by Buffalo and has been modeled as such for a bit

The cold air is marginal

It was 70 yesterday

NYC is a concrete jungle of humanity that hangs onto heat 

So despite what any model was telling me, I knew that this was a rain storm for New York City.

So did you

I deleted my post because I didn’t want to piss in anybody’s Wheaties because I respect the knowledge on this site

Sorry this one isnt going to work

You may get another shot in March… But you probably wont

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Maybe not 40 but several models are now spiking temps to mid 30s well inland, mostly after precip ends but still the small ice accretion will melt fast. Sleet woulda lasted a bit longer because its thick.   

0.25-0.50" is not a small ice accretion. Most of that falls with surface temps in the mid to upper 20's over interior NJ and SE NY. Whatever power lines and tree limbs that have fallen by then won't snap back into place because the temperatures rise above freezing lol.

9 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

And the models continue to get more aggressive with the midlevel warm nose. Good luck getting a snowstorm south of I-84 with those midlevel low tracks. Enjoy the ping fest to freezing rain/rain

Your trolling is awful.

Yup, non event here. Freezing rain during the morning rush after 2-4" of snow, nothing to see here.

ref1km_ptype.us_ne.png

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

zr_acc.us_ne.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

14 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

And the models continue to get more aggressive with the midlevel warm nose. Good luck getting a snowstorm south of I-84 with those midlevel low tracks. Enjoy the ping fest to freezing rain/rain

Freezing Rain highly unlikely for NYC and immediate surrounding suburbs, at least in any real sense.  Brief snow to sleet, then rain by morning. Then again, I've probably been more wrong than right.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Your trolling is awful.

Yup, non event here. Freezing rain during the morning rush after 2-4" of snow, nothing to see here.

ref1km_ptype.us_ne.png

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

zr_acc.us_ne.png

Yea, let’s find the coldest outlier models and use those. Rockland isn’t getting 4 inches of snow or anything close to it with those midlevel low tracks and the associated midlevel warm nose, but you keep wishcasting that. Let’s just ignore this and the NAM huh: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=hrdps&region=neus&pkg=asnow&runtime=2022022406&fh=48   Edit: And the RGEM, ignore them all 

38 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Temps drop/ crash by 18z roughly speaking last I remember seeing with yesterday's stuff.  

11 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Your trolling is awful.

ref1km_ptype.us_ne.png

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

zr_acc.us_ne.png

YOU took the post right off of my keyboard,,,,,,,,,non event,,,,lol how about we wait for the event to begin, didn't snowy learn from the last 2 he got wrong or are you really trying for the 3 peat 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Freezing Rain highly unlikely for NYC and immediate surrounding suburbs, at least in any real sense.  Brief snow to sleet, then rain by morning. Then again, I've probably been more wrong than right.

10 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Tough to get ZR to accrete on roads in the urban areas with marginal cold.

Nobody is talking about an ice storm in the concrete jungle.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Yea, let’s find the coldest outlier models and use those. Rockland isn’t getting 4 inches of snow or anything close to it with those midlevel low tracks and the associated midlevel warm nose, but you keep wishcasting that. Let’s just ignore this and the NAM huh: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=hrdps&region=neus&pkg=asnow&runtime=2022022406&fh=48   Edit: And the RGEM, ignore them all 

I know that this is hard for you to believe but it's the short term, high resolution models like the one I posted that you should be looking at right now. Not the globals and not the clueless NAM. The 3k NAM does have some skill but this should be your red flag here. When the UKMET is only showing temps topping out in the lower 30's and then dropping like a rock you should probably think twice considering it has a known warm bias.

Again, this isn't a big deal for the city. IT WAS NEVER GOING TO BE A BIG DEAL FOR THEM OR THE IMMEDIATE COAST. THAT'S THE TRADEOFF OF LIVING NEAR THE OCEAN AND SURROUNDED BY CONCRETE. 

sfct.us_ne.png

sfct.us_ne.png

• Like 1