Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 24/25 Potential Winter Storm

mikem81

4 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Yea GFS is not the model i'd use to forecast precip types anyway I'm just being fair to show all the different possibilites here.

THE GFS has a colder look early on but the primary made in father north before the weak coastal. All comes down to where coastal pops up (delmarva or LI)...

28 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

For mid level temps I’d use the NAM or other meso models. GFS is normally too cold there. And as others pointed out the warm layer in these events is often above 850mb so you can’t rely on that for snow/sleet line. 

This is working out exactly as it looked days ago…..a non event for snow and big ping fest going to all rain south of I-84. The GFS is trash, too cold as usual, I think the ICON is actually better. The NAM is the way to go. This one is going to continue to trend north and warmer in the midlevels right up until tomorrow afternoon

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 5

6 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

This is working out exactly as it looked days ago…..a non event for snow and big ping fest going to all rain south of I-84. The GFS is trash, too cold as usual, I think the ICON is actually better. The NAM and RGEM are the way to go. This one is going to continue to trend north and warmer in the midlevels right up until tomorrow afternoon

They are wrong then?

https://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=NYZ070&warncounty=NYC119&firewxzone=NYZ070&local_place1=2 Miles NNW Maryknoll NY&product1=Winter+Storm+Watch&lat=41.2118&lon=-73.842#.YhZgyZPMKEI

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Good, models are trending warmer. No icy mess to deal with.

HRRR takes low to buffalo

Don’t worry, given the setup this will certainly continue to bump north right up until tomorrow afternoon. Would not be at all surprised to see the NAM being the closest to reality 

• Weenie 2

25 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

I agree with uptons watch area, a significantly impactful frozen event is likely in that zone regardless of precip type. South of there it still seems more iffy and we'll have to watch the trends. 

Upton seems to have 2-5" outside the watch area which might be a little aggressive. I don't see anyone south of I-84 getting over 5" but the watch extends down to just N of NYC and the immediate CT coast. Where I am and most of NYC it'll probably be 2-3" of crud partly washed away at the end and the south shore/I-78 an inch or two that gets washed away at the end. 

10 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Upton seems to have 2-5" outside the watch area which might be a little aggressive. I don't see anyone south of I-84 getting over 5" but the watch extends down to just N of NYC and the immediate CT coast. Where I am and most of NYC it'll probably be 2-3" of crud partly washed away at the end and the south shore/I-78 an inch or two that gets washed away at the end. 

Still counts for snow totals. Although some prolly don't care about that 

14 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Still counts for snow totals. Although some prolly don't care about that 

It will be a winter wonderland Friday right to the northern part of the city. Sleet is incredibly hard to melt so even if we go to a period of rain then dry slot your just not melting that. As I have said all along this is a northern part of the city, extreme north shore of Li north ping fest. South shore, and southern part of the city will quickly go to rain with an east wind. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HVSnowLover said:

Until the 12Z GFS came and has NYC pouring at 12Z on Friday but the GFS has been attrocious model with this storm so take it for what its worth. 

The 12z GFS soundings show NYC sitting at 32 degrees at 12z Friday. Even at 18z NYC is only at 33 degrees and by then the storm is history.

gfs_2022022312_054_40.75--74.0.png

Quickly looked at the 12z guidance so far.

The GFS has a lot of sleet for NYC and freezing rain for the interior after some sleet and snow to start.

The GGEM which I give very low value has some impressive ice numbers near I-78 and then an impressive amount of sleet over the interior. It has surface temps is the lower to mid 20's when the precipitation is coldest. Upper 20's even at the coast.

The RGEM is a lot like the GGEM. Big time sleet fest for most of the area and a little ice at the end.

The NAM brings the mid level lows too far North and is an outlier. We get some sleet and then dry slot till the cold front comes through. Tossing.

The Euro is probably the best case scenario if you're looking for snow but it still pretty much limits things to areas North of 287/87.

13 hours ago, RU848789 said:

For what it's worth, Lee Goldberg was just on and showing a futurecast that looked a lot like the GFS/NAM, i.e., a bit of snow (an inch or two for NYC), then a fair amount of sleet, then maybe a bit of ZR and then rain, but not rain until 8-9 am, which would mean a real mess on even NYC streets with temps around 32F and 1-2" of snow and 2-3" of sleet (which is 6-9" of snow equivalent) for 7-11" of snow equivalent, which makes sense as those two models are showing nearly 1" of LE by 7 am before any rain.  I don't think anyone is thinking this storm will be as impactful as the GFS/NAM are showing right now for the immediate NYC/NENJ/LI area (and maybe even down into CNJ north of the Raritan/202, which would include me).  Those Tidbits maps show a ton of sleet.  

And the CMC got "snowier" vs. 12Z, according to the Pivotal snow depth map, which I believe is mostly sleet and which I don't believe is at 3:1 ratios (maybe 5:1, since it's probably some snow and sleet); Tidbits doesn't show sleet as snow on the CMC. 

gfs_asnow_neus_12.png

namconus_asnow_neus_25.png

trend-gdps-2022022300-f072_snod.us_ma.gif.fe6e31dc3d9dce1dc361dd23fe330003.gif

Hey @MGorse- you were very helpful answering my questions about how the NWS does take into account snow/liquid ratios in their snowfall forecasts a few weeks ago (as per internal calcs, not Kuchera), so thought I'd throw out another question.  Does the NWS ever put out sleet accumulation forecasts or are they just folded into the snowfall forecasts at maybe 3:1 sleet:liquid ratios?  I've never seen any, but maybe I've missed it.  IMO, sleet is greatly underestimated by most with regard to impact, as 3" of sleet is roughly the same frozen mass as 10" of snow, both of which have about the same impact on driving (apart from visibility impacts) and snow removal - so it would be nice to have sleet maps or somehow factored in better in the snow maps.  Thanks, in advance, for any insights.  

Sleet is included with snow regarding accumulations. Sleet can be messaged separately if significant but otherwise it is combined. 

• Like 1