Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 24/25 Potential Winter Storm

mikem81

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Exactly. It’s always good to throw in a little historical precedent. I have been doing snow removal on the far uws while living on the south shore for about a decade. I have experienced many events with similar setups where we have significantly more frozen on the uws then the south shore. There have even been several events with plowable snow/ice on the uws where it’s mainly rain on the SS. 

then theres Jan 1994 and VD 2007 which are all frozen everywhere (in our local region anyway)

it's simply a matter of chance where that frozen line sets up

8 minutes ago, Jeff Grann said:

Spring is a month away. When I grew up on SI in the 70's,nobody was worried about baseball field conditions In February 

Explains why staten island didnt send a team to the LLWS till climate change allowed for better ballplayers and longer seasons. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, North and West said:

That was fifty years ago, sooo… emoji2371.png

Don’t know what you guys are talking about , my daughter who played softball  graduated in 2020 and 2 of those years snow was on the field until way into late  March. One of those years she didn’t have1  practice outside and Had a game before an outdoor practice because the team we played had a turf field and they plowed it lol 

Don’t know what you guys are talking about , my daughter who played softball  graduated in 2020 and 2 of those years snow was on the field until way into late  March. One of those years she didn’t have1  practice outside and Had a game before an outdoor practice because the team we played had a turf field and they plowed it lol 

Well, there you go. Grass fields take a while.

7 hours ago, eduggs said:

It's not like it hasn't snowed. There have been a good number of 1-2" events. But we always want more and bigger. I know you enjoyed your two solid events, but I bet you were still a little jealous of LI, SE CT, and SNJ when they got 12+. 

My biggest storm this year is 4.3 in nw jersey lol. Total snow 16 inches so far  . Terrible winter but in the plus snow on the ground for almost all of January 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

My biggest storm this year is 4.3 in me jersey lol. Total snow 16 inches so far  . Terrible winter but in the plus snow on the ground for almost all of January 

Definitely a better winter where I am but overall the places that jackpotted last winter are getting skunked. Now we’re entering a more typical Nina pattern where New England gets the SWFE goods. Hopefully I can get one more decent event to get me above average. I have 29” and average 32” or so. Last winter I had 42-43”. 

• Like 1

Was nice to have a major snow event in Ocean County NJ this winter. We haven’t had a major snowfall since 2018. The Feb 1 2021 storm we had I think 5-6 inches while where I work got 18ish. Been a tough few winters for me. 

Could do with one more even few inch event but not looking especially likely at this point. Hoping for one more coastal where we do very well with the right track. 

Hopefully you city guys get some snow from this and those in northern NJ and HV do well. 

• Like 2

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service New York NY
352 AM EST Wed Feb 23 2022

CTZ005>008-NJZ002-103-NYZ067>070-232300-
/O.NEW.KOKX.WS.A.0002.220225T0000Z-220225T2300Z/
Northern Fairfield-Northern New Haven-Northern Middlesex-
Northern New London-Western Passaic-Western Bergen-Orange-Putnam-
Rockland-Northern Westchester-
352 AM EST Wed Feb 23 2022

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH
FRIDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation possible. Total snow and sleet
  accumulations of 4 to 8 inches and ice accumulations of up to
  one tenth of an inch possible.

* WHERE...Portions of northeast New Jersey, southern Connecticut
  and southeast New York.

* WHEN...From Thursday evening through Friday afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact mainly the Friday morning and evening
  commutes.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.

&&

$$

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

then theres Jan 1994 and VD 2007 which are all frozen everywhere (in our local region anyway)

it's simply a matter of chance where that frozen line sets up

That’s not actually true. South of sunrise highway east of the meadowbrook went to all rain on VDay 2007. I was living in Long Beach at the time and went to my parents in south wantagh and was shocked that there was no ice on the trees there. Meanwhile right down to the beach in Lb stayed frozen 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, North and West said:

Really? I live here and are you sure?

I live in butler and no we don’t have a turf field  and yes only hs in Morris county with out one . It use to be  butler and Kinnelon as only ones  but Kinnelon just got theirs last year . This article mentions it 

https://amp.dailyrecord.com/amp/4138737001

7 hours ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I am a little surprised that this thread is not more active,,,,I mean it is not as if this event is a week away as we are now looking at 48 hours away. There is a good amount of moisture and some good trends thus far and the models are not light years apart

People generally care a lot more about snow than ice. This is looking like a light to moderate snowfall for a lot of the immediate metro.

15 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Probably a bit overdone but this would be bad news and cause big problems.

zr_acc.us_ne.png

Those are overdone. Pretty sure it assumes any liquid that falls at 32 or below will accrete (not happening if it’s moderate or heavier precip) and all the precip over that hour will be freezing rain. The FRAM charts are more accurate. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kat5hurricane said:

People generally care a lot more about snow than ice. This is looking like a light snowfall for a lot of the immediate metro.

Once in a blue moon we can pull a decent SWFE out of the hat but these are usually easy ones to call for around NYC. Sloppy mess to rain, more icy inland where cold surface air holds on, up near I-90 gets the real snow. 

2 hours ago, North and West said:

Eh, of course we love snow, but even my sixth grader doesn’t want another snow day and doesn’t want his baseball fields muddied up. We’re getting into that time of winter for a very wet snow that melts into a field soaking mess.

If your lucky to even get a snow day with remote learning option, half the schools do that these days it seems

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Very impressive warm push on the CAMs beginning around 800mb and then working down. The CAD at the surface is equally impressive. So this is why there is so much sleet and freezing rain south of the snow.

RGEM NYC forecast sounding 12z Friday 

D2FB64D0-13AE-4A28-8DC4-03F2AA910CE3.thumb.png.4a45e7f773bb198bd6f79492f3697553.png

8188E4EB-F700-4EBE-9639-409ACB051765.thumb.png.6d72d903b306eeaf2acbb518a088724c.png

Going be a fun storm lol

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Once in a blue moon we can pull a decent SWFE out of the hat but these are usually easy ones to call for around NYC. Sloppy mess to rain, more icy inland where cold surface air holds on, up near I-90 gets the real snow. 

I see a SWFE on the models and immediately lose interest for the most part. They rarely work out for us at the coast and in fact, this one might deliver more frozen precip than most do but sleet doesn't really do much to peak my interest unless it's a Valentine's Day 2007 esque sleetbomb or a snowpack compressor.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, rgwp96 said:

My town doesn’t even have a turf football field yet. Only hs in Morris county that doesn’t  have one .  That may change this year though I hope 

Grass is so much safer though. I get why turf on HS fields is a thing, but give me a grass field anytime. 

1 hour ago, North and West said:

Well, there you go. Grass fields take a while.

So do fairways on golf courses. Snow in March, stinks.

When I was a kid playing baseball and later coaching it, snow in March bugged me because it meant cold practices and a muddy field. 

This overall looks pretty significant regarding activities impacted, but hard to get a read in here...is this a grass and cartopper event for the front end and nudge and sleet, or can I assume roads will be heavily impacted where the models show a bit of snow followed by lots of sleet?

58 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

I live in butler and no we don’t have a turf field  and yes only hs in Morris county with out one . It use to be  butler and Kinnelon as only ones  but Kinnelon just got theirs last year . This article mentions it 

https://amp.dailyrecord.com/amp/4138737001

Off topic, but I played against Butler on the old field back by the hill; great games. Before that, my dad used to take us to watch the Thanksgiving game. Turf is the way of life now, but personally I enjoyed playing on grass. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

Off topic, but I played against Butler on the old field back by the hill; great games. Before that, my dad used to take us to watch the Thanksgiving game. Turf is the way of life now, but personally I enjoyed playing on grass. 

That back field was way better field to watch a game at , now  they moved it to the track field.  What hs you go to?

• Like 1