• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 24/25 Potential Winter Storm

mikem81

Models trended colder On the overnight runs.  Picking up on the low level cold air and high pressure now  Is closer to northern New England.  not sure how much snow falls but it looks mainly frozen from the city North and West the  6Z RGEM  Has 1" LE falling as all sleet from the city North

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Pretty unlikely it plays out that way this is one of those setups you do not want to be on the south shore, despite the colder water temps. This has been and always will be a city Nw storm. The northern parts of the city and the extreme north shore of the island are the big question, could be pretty high impact 

Yep, starting to look like it could be pretty dicey especially the northern half of the city and LI north of the LIE. I’m still not expecting much snow but could be prolonged sleet instead if the surface front can stay offshore. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

That stinks. I mean these types of systems typically move north over time. Still sticking with 1 to 3 LI to 84.

The best we can hope for is a few hours or frozen precip  near the coast . It sucks because this storm will be loaded with moisture.  This would have been another outcome with blocking. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Strange distribution on the island on east winds. It’s hard for it to snow more in MTK then the north shore of Nassau on that wind direction. I think that’s too close to model output vs reality 

It’s at the time of year where urban heat island will hurt, and the cold air is generally coming from the NE, so this is a rare setup where it can snow more  on the Forks than NYC. 

32 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It’s at the time of year where urban heat island will hurt, and the cold air is generally coming from the NE, so this is a rare setup where it can snow more  on the Forks than NYC. 

It's still kind of early i think for the noted March urban heat island effect on winter storms so to speak but I think in this case its primarily due to the fact the mid and upper levels are warming from the SW so further east may benefit.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

That stinks. I mean these types of systems typically move north over time. Still sticking with 1 to 3 LI to 84.

I said I hoped the south trend would continue because they usually bump north. If the 12z runs go back north it's not a good sign at all for south of I84. For any kind of real snow we need them to at least stay the same or go even further south. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Strange distribution on the island on east winds. It’s hard for it to snow more in MTK then the north shore of Nassau on that wind direction. I think that’s too close to model output vs reality 

Probably there expecting a heavy burst of snow before any change over no?  Or cold air damming/  funneling down the rivers up north?  

2 minutes ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

I don't know. Pivotal weather maps generally do a good job with the sleet unlike TT. GFS has Long Island snowing for 6 hours before changeover. I don't think that is going to happen though. 

Models still struggling with this, CMC and GFS look nothing like each other for NYC/LI. Your area there is pretty solid agreement because I think CMC is overdoing the mid level warmth a bit.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

The is high is leaving. No blocking to keep it in place. And the air mass isn’t that cold to begin with. If this was a month ago it could have been different. 

Agreed here. The GFS is still the cold outlier. That model is just a really horrible anymore. None of the other models, RGEM, CMC, NAM, UKMET, ICON, Euro/EPS look anything like it. There’s a reason why it’s ranked at #4

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, wthrmn654 said:

Northern long Island fairs far better at marginal winter time events and holding onto frozen precip a little longer versus south lie.  Will all depend on on fast temps rise I guess. 

Agree

There microclimate is like SNE

They get more snow than the rest of the area 

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Agreed here. The GFS is still the cold outlier. That model is just a really horrible anymore. None of the other models, RGEM, CMC, NAM, UKMET, ICON, Euro/EPS look anything like it. There’s a reason why it’s ranked at #4

You do realize all the models have trended colder.

We all know you hate snow

I do agree about the high but it's still a strong high and this is still winter so I don't know what NJ is talking about. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1