Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 24/25 Potential Winter Storm

mikem81

2 minutes ago, Metasequoia said:

It seems like these overrunning storms don't result in much snow for NYC. Hudson Valley and New England do well...sometimes the Mid-Atlantic. Hopefully we all do well...if that's even possible with such a storm

I think water temp this time of year make SWFE better than if it were December. Ocean is at 40 instead of 55 so the SW wind is less of an issue but it can still get ugly at 850 and sleet...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Metasequoia said:

It seems like these overrunning storms don't result in much snow for NYC. Hudson Valley and New England do well...sometimes the Mid-Atlantic. Hopefully we all do well...if that's even possible with such a storm

Consensus of the models so far is that this event would be primarily a sleet/ice event going over to rain for most in the metro.  Better chances of accumulating snow would be north of I287.  Of course a lot can and will change.  As always be very careful with clown maps with this type of setup as they will overstate snow amounts.

• Rjay pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Metasequoia said:

They always favor those areas, however NYC can easily pick up 4 to 8 before mixing in these type of events.

November 2018 NYC had 6.5 before changeover.

March 2011 had 4.5

I am missing a thousand.

But yes generally the city gets 1 to 3 before a changeover.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Metasequoia said:

In March 2015 we did well but that was an abnormally cold winter overall.

1993-94 was another example....but again a much colder winter than this one.

30 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

They always favor those areas, however NYC can easily pick up 4 to 8 before mixing in these type of events.

November 2018 NYC had 6.5 before changeover.

March 2011 had 4.5

I am missing a thousand.

But yes generally the city gets 1 to 3 before a changeover.

these storms generally suck unless you're extremely cold beforehand as in the winters above

1 hour ago, Tatamy said:

Consensus of the models so far is that this event would be primarily a sleet/ice event going over to rain for most in the metro.  Better chances of accumulating snow would be north of I287.  Of course a lot can and will change.  As always be very careful with clown maps with this type of setup as they will overstate snow amounts.

I haven't seen the longer range but is this first storm just supposed to be the doorway into a much colder and possibly snowier pattern? Something to look forward to in case this first one doesn't pan out.

I think the March 2nd possible storm might have the highest potential.

5 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

big thump for pretty much everyone

gfs_z500_vort_us_29.thumb.png.2443df1a85139bd21075cf4bf7e2888c.png

the position of the HP to the north - the timing of the system coming from the southwest and whether or not there is some sort of blocking to keep the HP in place longer will determine the track of the storm -MAYBE A REDEVELOPMENT OFF THE COAST ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

the position of the HP to the north - the timing of the system coming from the southwest and whether or not there is some sort of blocking to keep the HP in place longer will determine the track of the storm -MAYBE A REDEVELOPMENT OFF THE COAST ?

This is a case where we snow MORE the longer the primary stays west due to strong CAD.

This is why even though the storm cut more this run we still ended up snowier.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 hours ago, Tatamy said:

"Be careful with clown maps" here is like saying don't do drugs to an addict.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

Ukie and CMC  are much warmer

All depends on the high up north 

a best case scenario for this kind of storm is what happened in late February 2008.  Look up that storm, an SWFE in a mild pattern occurred mainly at night and into the morning, a surprise 6-8 inches that didn't change over until the very end of the storm, and then it went to drizzle.