• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Cure my SE trend hangover event 2/21-2/22

Baum

Barely had to scrape off my car at all before leaving work to get food on my break; mostly just brushed off some dusty sleet. Seems the generally anemic rates plus the breezy conditions really limited our accretion. Some of the earlier model runs had me thinking it might be like that day in the (much vaunted) winter of 2013-14 when I came outside at 2:50 AM to find my car completely encased in 1/5 to 1/4" of solid ice, it took me about 20 minutes to chip and scrape enough off the windows that I could go in to work. That was before I bothered looking at model forecasts for winter wx, but I don't recall much talk about major icing in the days leading up to that, either. It seems that major ice storms; like the mother of all derechos, are virtually impossible to confidently forecast with any significant lead time.

*Edit: All that said, there appear to be some more significant "Thundersleet" cells just to the west of Madison. We'll see what happens under those.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Birds were begging for seed.  Can't keep it full.  Totally buried up here.  What I'll do with another foot plus idk...lol

The little round hole in the snow is my chimney.  It was still exposed yesterday around dark.  There's a hollow cove all around the stack.  Can't let the fire go out or I'm screwed.  Definitely need to do some snow removal on the roof.

IMG_4006.thumb.jpg.5d730f4d878e712a4588542c83591605.jpg

IMG_4004.thumb.jpg.e50457a277bb45755771e16c6282d4f0.jpg

IMG_4009.thumb.jpg.cb540fdb720da58e9392e6d36ea93221.jpg

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Birds were begging for seed.  Can't keep it full.  Totally buried up here.  What I'll do with another foot plus idk...lol

The little round hole in the snow is my chimney.  It was still exposed yesterday around dark.  There's a hollow cove all around the stack.  Can't let the fire go out or I'm screwed.  Definitely need to do some snow removal on the roof.

Just Awesome!!!

18 minutes ago, kevlon62 said:

Temp down 2 degrees in the last hour. 30 and zr. Small icicles abound on the elevateds. Roads hanging tough and just wet.

Came to post the same thing. 30.7º with freezing rain in McHenry, very light coating on everything but the roads at this point. Back patio is a sheet of ice. 

3 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Barely had to scrape off my car at all before leaving work to get food on my break; mostly just brushed off some dusty sleet. Seems the generally anemic rates plus the breezy conditions really limited our accretion. Some of the earlier model runs had me thinking it might be like that day in the (much vaunted) winter of 2013-14 when I came outside at 2:50 AM to find my car completely encased in 1/5 to 1/4" of solid ice, it took me about 20 minutes to chip and scrape enough off the windows that I could go in to work. That was before I bothered looking at model forecasts for winter wx, but I don't recall much talk about major icing in the days leading up to that, either. It seems that major ice storms; like the mother of all derechos, are virtually impossible to confidently forecast with any significant lead time.

*Edit: All that said, there appear to be some more significant "Thundersleet" cells just to the west of Madison. We'll see what happens under those.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

oh, you mean like this hail reported when below freezing?

k6tewKI.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

IMG_4006.thumb.jpg.5d730f4d878e712a4588542c83591605.jpg

IMG_4004.thumb.jpg.e50457a277bb45755771e16c6282d4f0.jpg

IMG_4009.thumb.jpg.cb540fdb720da58e9392e6d36ea93221.jpg

Well, get off your ass and start shoveling man :D. Just messing with ya. But you have some work ahead of you that's for sure. That's getting to be tooo much.

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

And now they decide to upgrade the area to a warning ... :lol: :facepalm:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Did not expect it to be this chilly here at this time.  Possible that the lake is helping to reinforce a farther south frontal position or things are just a little farther south in general.

I know it's only Allison House's algorithm, but it shows the front bowing out, probably a lake influence. I noticed it's 36° at Crown Point, while just south in Roselawn, it's a balmy 44°.

EDIT: And 55° in Rensselaer

radar.png

15 minutes ago, Lightning said:

And now they decide to upgrade the area to a warning ... :lol: :facepalm:

Better late than never.

Winter wx advys across the w into the n central have been upgraded
to winter storm warnings, Alger added as well. Winter wx advys have
been posted for the areas that were not in any headline. Next wave
of pcpn has been increasing in coverage/intensity as it lifts ne
toward Upper MI. All of the models have a signal for a 2-5hr period
of mdt/hvy pcpn, beginning in the next few hrs. With bands of
mdt/hvy LES already streaming onshore into Baraga and especially
Marquette counties, the addition of healthy forcing/mdt to hvy
synoptic snow will result in several hrs of very hvy snowfall from
Baraga County to western Alger County, but particularly focused in
the high terrain of Marquette County. Should be able to easily tack
on another foot+ this aftn/tonight.

11 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

K, this is getting out of hand.  I bet there's been 6 or 7 additional inches today.  

Totally my fault.  I should have cleared the roof ahead of this since it already had over 2' but I didn't really think it would be this bad. I'll be shoveling snow well after dark. 

IMG_4023.thumb.jpg.1c8ff3df108ccd8d9be1d4b876051598.jpg

that's what beavis' dreams are of right there.

• Haha 7