Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cure my SE trend hangover event 2/21-2/22

Baum

19 minutes ago, Lightning said:

That is still a very cool event to get that much!!

It actually happened twice when I was at Tech.  Both ~2 hours long and both ended at 14".  1st one was in the middle of the night so I mostly missed it (I don't really count that one much).  2nd time was in the evening around 7-9.  It was crazy as I took a nice long walk during it.  The roads were basically at a stand still as I was walking faster than any vehicle moving on the road.  

Houghton area def sees some wild weather.

I remember a few years ago Alyssa (formerly Will) who is a poster here from Calumet had something like 36" overnight with a Bayfield Bomber.  

• Like 4

Circa '93 or '94 I was on my morning commute inland about 6 am. Ran into an (unforecast) 18" LES dump in Kalkaska. It was already done snowing and I have no way to know how quickly it fell. There was a guy driving a small compact Ford on his way to the military base with his hood open and the entire engine compartment was packed tight with snow.  I couldn't stop to give him a lift or I too would've been stuck, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

Snow is really picking up now. Getting heavy as synoptic stuff is pushing N. With the wind, whiteout conditions pretty soon.

I had to chuckle. Yesterday on the Duluth Canal Cam, lots of people out walking. Today, not so much. More like Ghost Canal.

• Like 1

Washburn, WI reported 19" as of 3pm, and a report from French River, which is between TH, and DLH on the shore, reported 12" as of 5pm. Still a good 24-36hrs to go.

Edit: More reports of 6-7" around the head of the Lake, and one area still hasn't updated, and that's folks in the St. Louis River valley on the south side of Duluth. A couple reports there had 5" by 9am, and it has been snowing rather hard at times in that area. Nothing reported around my town yet, and I can't tell with the drifting but there's plenty.

49 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Washburn, WI reported 19" as of 3pm, and a report from French River, which is between TH, and DLH on the shore, reported 12" as of 5pm. Still a good 24-36hrs to go.

Edit: More reports of 6-7" around the head of the Lake, and one area still hasn't updated, and that's folks in the St. Louis River valley on the south side of Duluth. A couple reports there had 5" by 9am, and it has been snowing rather hard at times in that area. Nothing reported around my town yet, and I can't tell with the drifting but there's plenty.

Radar makes me think Washburn could rival Tug Hill type results!!  I have been watching it on and off all day!!

36 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Radar makes me think Washburn could rival Tug Hill type results!!  I have been watching it on and off all day!!

Last report was 21" at 5pm and it still snowing good on that webcam at 7pm, so big time snow there with probably 36-48 hrs left for them. Crawling out the 2nd story window there. :D

A couple 9" reports from dwntwn DLH came in.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Last report was 21" at 5pm and it still snowing good on that webcam at 7pm, so big time snow there with probably 36-48 hrs left for them. Crawling out the 2nd story window there. :D

:mapsnow:Way cool of an event!! :snowing:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

Washburn has a serious shot IMO of breaking the official 24 hr state record for snowfall of 26" set in 1904 in Neillsville. For reference:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremes/scec/records/all/maxs. Now that does come with the caveat that we likely have had some LE events by Hurley that have broke that record, there's just no stations where the max snowfall normally occurs.

4 minutes ago, Geoboy645 said:

Washburn has a serious shot IMO of breaking the official 24 hr state record for snowfall of 26" set in 1904 in Neillsville. For reference:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremes/scec/records/all/maxs. Now that does come with the caveat that we likely have had some LE events by Hurley that have broke that record, there's just no stations where the max snowfall normally occurs.

Interesting, but not sure if the one measuring is an official observer site. If it does surpass, it may not get counted. Not sure of the protocols. Looking at the dialog box of the report, there are no comments, like social media, or CoCoRahs, etc. 

I'd estimate 10" has fallen since 7am, maybe even a little more.  The enhancement off the lake was heavy most of the day but has become a little more squally this evening as the first wave departs. Seeing reports in the general area of 9-12".  0Z models indicate upwards of 18+ inches of additional snow possible in my neck of the woods by 12Z Wednesday.  Safe to say at least another foot is likely.

Current temp of 14 is the high.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian D said:

Update report from 6pm was put up finally in the above mentioned area at 17". Still snowing pretty good there. Another site near the town of Washburn is reporting 20" at 9pm. LES band has, and still is hitting the area, but just a little south now over Ashland.

Snow lighten up a bit here, but is getting a little heavier again. Basically light-mod snow from here on out through tomorrow. 12-18" looks to be a good call for the area, with some exceeding by a lot under heavy LES.

20 hours ago, weatherbo said:

That's insane.  The closest I've come to experiencing an event like that was the winter of 12-13 living in Antrim County, NW lower.  12 inches of snow fell in 3 1/2 hours when a dominant Lake Superior connected band parked itself over the western part of the county.

I was heading to the now abandoned sugar loaf west of Traverse City in Jan 97. 14-19” fell in just a few hours. I remember driving from east TC to west TC. It went from flurries to just blinding snow. It was insane. A buddy of mine was so scared he was laying down in the backseat. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Every time I woke up and looked out the window during the night it was just pouring snow.  I'd say 10-12" inches fell overnight on top of the 10" yesterday and it's still snowing.  There is literally no good place to measure, the snow is so deep and drifted.   The WWA :lol: says another 12-16 is possible.  So the models predicting the 3 feet totals are likely going to be pretty close..

I'll share a few pics after coffee.

• Like 6