• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cure my SE trend hangover event 2/21-2/22

Baum

Looking good here for decent snows with a synoptic/LES combo. Thinking DLH will do really well this time around. Monday will be the best day for me. NE surface flow with due E 850's will bring LES straight in to me together with the upper level energy moving through. DLH is thinking 2 waves, with the first one being the strongest. LES situation more favorable for DLH and south shore Tuesday than here along with the second, weaker upper wave. 

If the north bump is true, then my 3-6" thinking from yesterday is now more like 8" for here in town. This one is going to put TH seasonal snow right near average before Feb is even done. Lots of snow this year, with 2 months of potential left.

• Like 2

Assuming models are correct, this setup always delivers here. Expecting 15-24" by the time all is said and done and probably closer to the 24 inches.

Made it to 31 today before the front arrived.  Temp is now down to 19 with light nw flow lake effect trying to get going.  Winds should begin to shift northerly and then north easterly by morning.

If the snow unfolds as forecast, there's going to be some impressive depths up here.

Untitled.png.abaa69e1eb2a184eaf5c313c0afbc888.png

Tab2FileL.thumb.png.b9cb6c7511da51e3fcd6af24c0113766.png

• Like 7

DLH really jacked up totals. We shall see. :) Seems the earlier totals were based on 15 & 18:1, but now its 18 & 20:1.

Edit: Here's the discussion. the 2nd paragraph is what I've been mentioning earlier. Ice is a big factor here, and it was spread out yesterday with the strong SW winds. Nonetheless, a long fetch should help out, and let the precip be a little heavier than normal along the immediate shore. We are much closer to open water up here than DLH is, but the ice will help moisture precip out earlier than if it was open water right on shore like I mentioned earlier. Seen that many times over the years.

The first feature will be an FGEN band that utilizes moisture
from the Gulf of Mexico in the warm sector underneath a strong
right entrance region of a 140kt 250mb jet on Monday morning. The
second feature will be a developing low coming out of the Four
Corners region that crosses the Midwest and drapes its deformation
zone atop the baroclinic zone. PWATs with these features range
from 0.25 to 0.40. A deep DGZ will be situated right over the
Twin Ports for the majority of the event. This coupled with the
upper level forcing provided by the eventual cyclogenetic system,
ejecting out of the Four Corners region, should cause this event
to be prolonged and last into late Tuesday. There will likely be a
lull between these features where snowfall rates drop significantly
on Tuesday morning before sunrise. The depth of the DGZ will be
efficient in converting the relatively minimal amount of PWAT into
fluffy snow with snow ratios of 18:1 and even as high as 20:1
expected. In the primary band of snow, the QPF with this system is
expected to be around 0.75 to 1.00. So after putting this
all together, we are expecting snowfall totals in excess of foot
in the main band of snow that extends from St. Cloud into Ashland,
WI and nicks the Twin Ports with around a foot of snow too.

Other factors to watch for are lake enhancement due to the long
fetch of northeasterly winds across Lake Superior. The last clear
shot from satellite indicates that the vast majority of Lake
Superior is unfrozen with one large island of ice extending from
Superior to the Apostles. This ice flow was headed east; however,
the northeasterly winds should bring that back to the western end
of the lake. This has the potential to kill the lake enhancement,
but when and to what degree is unknown and it may only dampen the
effect. For this package, did up the snowfall amounts along the
North Shore from Duluth to Silver Bay.

Feb 21 snow 2.gif

• Like 1

Model outputs for southern WI have come down quite a bit in recent runs (what else is new, but it's ice, so I'm relatively OK with that). Looks like most significant icing will be over NE IL including the NW burbs; and northern Lower MI.

12Z HRRR has obscene totals in SE WI and far NE IL? Lake-effect ZR?

At this point we’re definitely not looking at sig ice in the suburbs, and quite likely not in NE IL either.

The HRRR struggles with the effects of lake ice and tries to alter the environment. It’s not realistic.

• Thanks 1

Lake enhanced snow on the increase this morning with an almost due east flow off the lake.  Forecast is for around 13" today/tonight and another 8" tomorrow.  12z model average for my area is 27".  Was a little surprised to just see a WWA but in Marquette County, the forecast messaging leans heavy to the city.

A few hi-res models really nail this area with 3 feet over 48 hours... something to watch.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Lake enhanced snow on the increase this morning with an almost due east flow off the lake.  Forecast is for around 13" today/tonight and another 8" tomorrow.  12z model average for my area is 27".  Was a little surprised to just see a WWA but in Marquette County, the forecast messaging leans heavy to the city.

A few hi-res models really nail this area with 3 feet over 48 hours... something to watch.

One of my best events at MTU came from an east wind.  14" in 2 hours.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

when i started this thread I was hoping to finally avoid a SE shift little did I know it was going to become a Superior Special

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Lightning said:

One of my best events at MTU came from an east wind.  14" in 2 hours.

That's insane.  The closest I've come to experiencing an event like that was the winter of 12-13 living in Antrim County, NW lower.  12 inches of snow fell in 3 1/2 hours when a dominant Lake Superior connected band parked itself over the western part of the county.

This confirms what I said earlier about the ice causing the immediate shore to get good snows. DLH put up this storyboard showing the snow right along the shoreline, and current radar still shows the same. LES bands are getting stronger now for some north of me due to the 850 wind being due East, and N WI is getting hammered with synoptic, and lake enhanced lifted snows. A small LES band has been sitting just N of Ashland all morning.

Lake effect.gif

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

That's insane.  The closest I've come to experiencing an event like that was the winter of 12-13 living in Antrim County, NW lower.  12 inches of snow fell in 3 1/2 hours when a dominant Lake Superior connected band parked itself over the western part of the county.

That is still a very cool event to get that much!!

It actually happened twice when I was at Tech.  Both ~2 hours long and both ended at 14".  1st one was in the middle of the night so I mostly missed it (I don't really count that one much).  2nd time was in the evening around 7-9.  It was crazy as I took a nice long walk during it.  The roads were basically at a stand still as I was walking faster than any vehicle moving on the road.  

43 minutes ago, Brian D said:

This confirms what I said earlier about the ice causing the immediate shore to get good snows. DLH put up this storyboard showing the snow right along the shoreline, and current radar still shows the same. LES bands are getting stronger now for some north of me due to the 850 wind being due East, and N WI is getting hammered with synoptic, and lake enhanced lifted snows. A small LES band has been sitting just N of Ashland all morning.

Yeah it will be interesting to see the totals at Washburn area as some models have that band there for several hours!!  Wish I could drive there right now :lol: :snowing:

• Like 1