Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 14 Super Bowl comeback snow OBS

Ginx snewx

23 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Looks like the parking lot of the Ultra Violet strip club in Willimantic? I hear there's a better one in Tolland...

No, it's just a residential building but I could strip for you if the real strip club is too far. Not a bad substitution. Ok, maybe a little bit hairy with a flabby butt. But it would only cost you $5. Although I have been told I look like Mr. Bean, I am definitely younger!

• Confused 2

Looks like it's been quite the winter for the coastal mid-Atlantic too... no stats to back it up but these SE Mass snowers seem to love coastal Delaware into SE NJ.  Just seems like it wants to be snowing in those low average coastal/beach towns.  Delaware Coastal Airport with a nice 4+ hour wintry appeal obs this afternoon/evening.

animate.gif.e61132181bb957a50632adcc920b4a2c.gif

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's the classic good snow growth where visibility doesn't translate to the snowfall rate.  The stuff where you can get 1" an hour but with 1-1.5 mile visibility. 

Can you explain why? Is it just to do with fog? In Reno, it almost never snows without dramatic reduction in visibility. 

And this radar... A while ago it looked like it was about to pull away but then it filled in again to the west!

29 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Can you explain why? Is it just to do with fog? In Reno, it almost never snows without dramatic reduction in visibility. 

And this radar... A while ago it looked like it was about to pull away but then it filled in again to the west!

It's just the flake type and liquid amount falling from the sky.  A small flake, needles or bullets type snow packs in tight and is dense on the ground.  To achieve higher snowfall rates, visibility will be quite low, almost like a fog if you are getting 1"+ an hour out of needles.  You're also getting 0.10-0.15"/hr water to hit 1"/hr snowfall with needles.  That'll give that 1/4sm +SN.

With fluffy, large snow growth stuff, it takes less flakes and less water to make an inch of snow.  Therefore there are fewer flakes in a given volume of air... still accumulating efficiently but impacting visibility less.  The ASOS stations under-report the water in this type of snow, but if 0.025-0.05" an hour can give 1"/hr, visibility will remain higher than what most of us equate to that type of accumulation rate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's awesome looking at the TAN obs.  Over half a foot and ripping with only one brief observation showing moderate snow (1/2sm vis).  Most of it at 1-2 mile visibility.  That's how you know the snow growth zone is getting punched by lift.

Very snow globe like out… very dry snow too.

Just went outside to swap my wife’s car with mine in the driveway, good amount of snow out there… probably 2-3” on the road and there was much more than that on my car that has been sitting all day 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like it's been quite the winter for the coastal mid-Atlantic too... no stats to back it up but these SE Mass snowers seem to love coastal Delaware into SE NJ.  Just seems like it wants to be snowing in those low average coastal/beach towns.  Delaware Coastal Airport with a nice 4+ hour wintry appeal obs this afternoon/evening.

animate.gif.e61132181bb957a50632adcc920b4a2c.gif

Been snowy along the coast for sure. 32” for the season in Suffolk county, Long Island 

8 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Been snowy along the coast for sure. 32” for the season in Suffolk county, Long Island 

Wow…nice.

I’m at almost 28” so far this season.  You are 4” ahead of me at the moment.   Big question is, do we get some more chances so I can try and catch up on my seasonal average of almost 50”?  Or is this the end? 

31 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Wow…nice.

I’m at almost 28” so far this season.  You are 4” ahead of me at the moment.   Big question is, do we get some more chances so I can try and catch up on my seasonal average of almost 50”?  Or is this the end? 

I think we get a good March storm this year